So I have a prebuilt, can I add a Discrete GPU

LupisTheMonster

So my prebuilt model is HP Slimline Desktop PC 270-p014 and it has great specs other than the fact that it uses Intel Hd 630 graphics, I am wondering if I can buy for say like a 1060 Ti and add it to the pc, it doesn’t have to be 1060 ti it can be any decent graphics card that can fit the case.Im wondering if this will work and which graphics card to buy, also how to install BIOS and the graphics card and any additional steps to take thank you. If this doesn’t work can I take off the CPU, Ram, And other parts from the pc and start a new pc?

Please don’t judge me for buying a prebuilt, My parents bought it for me and I had no say.

4 minutes ago, LupisTheMonster said:

So my prebuilt model is HP Slimline Desktop PC 270-p014 and it has great specs other than the fact that it uses Intel Hd 630 graphics, I am wondering if I can buy for say like a 1060 Ti and add it to the pc, it doesn’t have to be 1060 ti it can be any decent graphics card that can fit the case.Im wondering if this will work and which graphics card to buy, also how to install BIOS and the graphics card and any additional steps to take thank you. If this doesn’t work can I take off the CPU, Ram, And other parts from the pc and start a new pc?

Please don’t judge me for buying a prebuilt, My parents bought it for me and I had no say.

Not going to happen unless you also replace the power supply in that computer, or find a half height GPU that doesn't need external power. You've got a 180w power supply in that machine, as per the specs on HP's website here: https://support.hp.com/ca-en/document/c05525996

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

No, the power supply is barely cutting it for the components that are already in the PC, and it's unlikely you'd find anything other than an old low profile card that would fit.

Pretty much all of the parts in that are proprietary, you'd be better off building a PC from scratch honestly, other than maybe carrying a hard drive and the memory over (which, the memory possibly wouldn't work but SHOULD, in theory) I don't think anything would be salvageable, and that computer, for all intents and purposes, is non-upgradeable.

__             __
   .-'.'     .-.     '.'-.
 .'.((      ( ^ `>     )).'.
/`'- \'._____\ (_____.'/ -'`\
|-''`.'------' '------'.`''-|
|.-'`.'.'.`/ | | \`.'.'.`'-.|
 \ .' . /  | | | |  \ . '. /
  '._. :  _|_| |_|_  : ._.'
     ````` /T"Y"T\ `````
          / | | | \
         `'`'`'`'`'`

maybe you can, but don't bother.

1. The case seems to limit PCIe cards to half height ones. This means more expensive budget cards like the 1050ti at best.

2. Proprietary standards for the motherboard, possible that the board can only give 25w to the PCIe slot which means you can at best use a GT 1030

3. Not sure if there's enough length for the card

@kirashi @violentnumeric I dont think the PSU is the problem, i7-7700 and a whole bunch of other stuff add up to stay below 150w, still enough headroom to hold a GT 1030. Not like there's space for faster cards anyway

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

https://outervision.com/power-supply-calculator with this power supply calculator, which is widely considered one of the most accurate if not the most accurate available online since it actually goes by component wattage and not made up junk to get you to buy a bigger (more expensive) PSU, his current system is at 170W if the computer has 2 92mm fans, which was a fair guess since they're not listed. It could be more than that.

10w is not enough overhead for any kind of worthwhile card, unfortunately. Especially when you take into account it's probably the absolute cheapest chinese power supply that HP could find so they could squeeze a few more pennies of profit.

__             __
   .-'.'     .-.     '.'-.
 .'.((      ( ^ `>     )).'.
/`'- \'._____\ (_____.'/ -'`\
|-''`.'------' '------'.`''-|
|.-'`.'.'.`/ | | \`.'.'.`'-.|
 \ .' . /  | | | |  \ . '. /
  '._. :  _|_| |_|_  : ._.'
     ````` /T"Y"T\ `````
          / | | | \
         `'`'`'`'`'`

Is there a way I could remove the CPU ,ram units ,and fans for use in another pc build for later

14 hours ago, LupisTheMonster said:

Is there a way I could remove the CPU ,ram units ,and fans for use in another pc build for later

Most HP motherboards are manufactured by ASUS' sister company Pegatron, and usually are standard ATX or mATX sizes. However, HP's slimline boards sometimes differ from mATX sizing, so you'll want to check measurements & screw holes here: https://support.hp.com/ca-en/document/c05382582

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)