Alienware as a workstation Laptop

Hello, guys what do you think about the alienware  

Dell Alienware 17R5 

Core  i9-8950HK 2.9GHz

32GB

17.3" UHD (3840 x 2160) 4K  BT WIN10 Tobii Eye Traker

NVIDIA® GTX 1080 8192MB 

Will it do a good work as a workstarion for rendering work and 3d modeling? 

Ps: and how long is it s lifespam

-= Moved to Laptops and Pre-Built Systems =-

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

What kind of rendering and 3D modeling? I'm looking at getting the M17 for Archicad / Revit + Lumion myself.

It'd probably be fine but why not the new Area 51M?

Desktop: i9 11900k, 32GB DDR4, 4060 Ti 8GB 🙂

Hmm. Putting an i9 in a laptop always makes me nervous. What do the reviews say about cooling performance? That's gonna be super important. 

Main PC:

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X • Noctua NH-D15 • MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk • 2x8GB G.skill Trident Z Neo 3600MHz CL16 • MSI VENTUS 3X GeForce RTX 3070 OC • Samsung 970 Evo 1TB • Samsung 860 Evo 1TB • Cosair iCUE 465X RGB • Corsair RMx 750W (White)

Peripherals/Other:

ASUS VG27AQ • G PRO K/DA • G502 Hero K/DA • G733 K/DA • G840 K/DA • Oculus Quest 2 • Nintendo Switch (Rev. 2)

Laptop (Dell XPS 13):

Intel Core i7-1195G7 • Intel Iris Xe Graphics • 16GB LPDDR4x 4267MHz • 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD • 13.4" OLED 3.5K InfinityEdge Display (3456x2160, 400nit, touch). 

Got any questions about my system or peripherals? Feel free to tag me (@bellabichon) and I'll be happy to give you my two cents. 

PSA: Posting a PCPartPicker list with no explanation isn't helpful for first-time builders :)

6 minutes ago, Theguywhobea said:

It'd probably be fine but why not the new Area 51M?

For me it's the lack of UHD. Plus I already have a desktop. But a machine that can do a project from start to finish is nice... even if it's not as good as my desktop.

7 minutes ago, roarkitect said:

For me it's the lack of UHD. Plus I already have a desktop. But a machine that can do a project from start to finish is nice... even if it's not as good as my desktop.

Well, how are you going to be using it? As a desktop replacement in a work environment? If so, perhaps you ought to get one with a less expensive GPU in the laptop and purchase an Alienware External GPU enclosure + an RTX 2070/GTX 1080. The beauty of those external enclosures is that they're directly connected as PCI on a mobo so there is no performance drop whereas, a 1080 that comes inside the laptop might be down-clocked a bit for thermal management making it more comparable to a 1070ti.

The Louvre

Lian-Li PC-O11 DW   |   ZOTAC RTX 2080   |   Core i5 9600k   |   SeaSonic FOCUS Plus 650W Platinum   |   MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Pro Carbon  |  2x16Gb TRIDENT Z ROYAL  |   2xSX8200 240Gb NVME SSD's  |   1x Seagate Firecuda 1TB   |   EVGA Closed Loop Cooler 280mm   |   1x MSI MPG27C Monitor

For me, it's for my freelance architecture work that I do on nights and weekends with the occasional Destiny 2. I don't like to let my extra work keep me from doing things during my free time, so the flexibility to take the machine to a different location is crucial. I've looked at ePGUs a lot, but haven't found any that aren't enormous. I owned a Core 2 briefly and just built a desktop instead. For my Lumion software (a real-time rendering engine), VRAM is pretty important. I think a max-q 2080 or 2070 is good enough for my mobile work.

I'm using a 1060 laptop with a FHD screen right now and it's okay. It's very doable, but I wouldn't mind speeding things up and having a better screen to look at (so many menus makes the screen real estate very important...especially when I'm used to it on my desktop).

It's an outdated model with potential cooling issue

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

9 hours ago, GeneXiS_X said:

It's an outdated model with potential cooling issue

What do you recommend? 

Well mainly architectural rendering i work on 3dsmax and render on vray

I m still a student thought but i take on some freelance  renderings  soo need a good laptop. As weel as i m interrested in vfx and video making so i. Guess i l get into that soon... Any recomendation 

3 hours ago, roarkitect said:
3 hours ago, roarkitect said:

What kind of rendering and modeling?

1 minute ago, Jtakla12 said:

Well mainly architectural rendering i work on 3dsmax and render on vray

I m still a student thought but i take on some freelance  renderings  soo need a good laptop. As weel as i m interrested in vfx and video making so i. Guess i l get into that soon... Any recomendation 

Excellent to hear. I'm an architect and I also do freelance rendering. I recently moved to Lumion instead of Vray for most things, but I still have my Vray Next license. Vray is still CPU-dependent for the most part. I'd definitely go with the beefiest cooling you can as Vray is kinda slow and you will likely be rendering for long periods of time at hot temps. If you intend to render via GPU in Vray, you should make sure you get the most VRAM possible otherwise you risk your scenes not fitting.

We have several Razer Blade Pros around my main office job and those have a full GTX1080 in them. We take them to client meetings for VR or let folks take them home to render after hours. They work pretty well, although old at this point.

If you're a student, I also suggest you take advantage of the student versions of Twin Motion, Lumion, and Enscape for your projects. They all use real-time video game engines to render rather than the path tracing that Vray does. You can get pretty amazing results almost instantly. I can get 4k resolution images from Lumion in 3 minutes compared to literal hours in Vray. I think there's still a place for Vray in the profession, but I think it's shrinking. More limited to close up images of martini glasses at a boutique NY bar and not the best for 15 images taken around the site of a building.

Just my thoughts. Let me know if you have any questions. I'm also in the market for a new laptop... but haven't found the right one yet.

13 hours ago, Jtakla12 said:

What do you recommend? 

Where are you from? Budget? Usage? Any preference on weight and battery life?

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128