Slow Wi-Fi AP speed (5GHz)

Varusal
Go to solution Solved by WereCatf,
25 minutes ago, SirMorokei said:

TP-Link Archer C50

Shoulda looked at the specs of that box more closely before buying; the Ethernet-ports on it are only 10/100, so no matter what speed wireless clients connect to it, the connection between the Archer and your modem will always be limited to max 100Mbps. Next time buy one with gigabit WAN- and LAN-ports.

Hey,

I currently have a problem with my Access Point (TP-Link Archer C50). I can't reach a high network speed (5Ghz) via the AP but with my main router (FRITZ!Box Cable 6490) I can.

The AP is directly connected to the main router. I tried to change the Channel and the Channel Width but with no improvement. 

Below you can find some information about both devices. If you need more information let me know.

ISP Plan:

UnityMedia

Down: 400 Mbit/s

Up: 20 Mbit/s

Speedtest (Pixel 3):

5Ghz Wlan Speed - FRITZ!Box 6490 Cable:

• Down: ~340-350 Mbit/s
  • Up: ~19-20 Mbit/s

5Ghz Wlan Speed - Archer C50:

• Down: ~30-40 Mbit/s
  • Up: ~19-20 Mbit/s

Settings:

FRITZ!Box 6490 Cable

• 5GHz
    • Channel: Auto
  • 2.4Ghz

TP-Link Archer C50

Operation Mode: Access Point (wired)

DHCP: Disabled

• 5GHz
    • Mode: 11a/n/ac mixed
    • Channel Width: Auto
  • 2.4Ghz
    • Mode: 11bgn mixed
    • Channel Width: Auto

25 minutes ago, SirMorokei said:

TP-Link Archer C50

Shoulda looked at the specs of that box more closely before buying; the Ethernet-ports on it are only 10/100, so no matter what speed wireless clients connect to it, the connection between the Archer and your modem will always be limited to max 100Mbps. Next time buy one with gigabit WAN- and LAN-ports.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

8 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

Welp... That explains everything.

So for the price of one Gigabit Lan/Wan Router I can try the AVM FRITZ! WLAN Repeater 1750E.

2 minutes ago, SirMorokei said:

Welp... That explains everything.

It's a stupid and misleading marketing-thingy; claim all sorts of ridiculously high WiFi-speeds, but never actually tell the customer that they will only get those speeds between other wireless clients, not to the WAN-side or any ethernet-connected LAN-side. You're definitely not the first one to fall for that.

At least you'll know to keep an eye on it in the future and maybe help others avoid the same pitfall.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.