Looking For Specific Slim 140mm PWM Fan (SOLVED)

_Hustler_One_

Hello everyone,

I'm looking for any slim 140mm fan specifically with 1500 RPM and good bearing. Any mounting pattern is not a problem. I found most of slim 140mm fans has 1300 RPM rated maximum speed.

I'm looking this type of fan to replace my cooler 3rd fan which is installed outside the case, because it starts to make some weird noise, I think it's a turbulence noise created by the fan blades vs the case vents grill which has very close gap between them, it didn't make this weird sound before, now it make that sound.

Any recommendations?

My system specs:

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K, 5GHz Delidded LM || CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-C14S w/ NF-A15 & NF-A14 Chromax fans in push-pull cofiguration || Motherboard: MSI Z370i Gaming Pro Carbon AC || RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 2x8Gb 2666 || GPU: EVGA GTX 1060 6Gb FTW2+ DT || Storage: Samsung 860 Evo M.2 SATA SSD 250Gb, 2x 2.5" HDDs 1Tb & 500Gb || ODD: 9mm Slim DVD RW || PSU: Corsair SF600 80+ Platinum || Case: Cougar QBX + 1x Noctua NF-R8 front intake + 2x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC top exhaust + Cougar stock 92mm DC fan rear exhaust || Monitor: ASUS VG248QE || Keyboard: Ducky One 2 Mini Cherry MX Red || Mouse: Logitech G703 || Audio: Corsair HS70 Wireless || Other: XBox One S Controler

My build logs:

44 minutes ago, _Hustler_One_ said:

I'm looking this type of fan to replace my cooler 3rd fan which is installed outside the case, because it starts to make some weird noise, I think it's a turbulence noise created by the fan blades vs the case vents grill which has very close gap between them, it didn't make this weird sound before, now it make that sound.

If it suddenly started making a noise and you didn't change anything about it, that would mean a fan going bad .. not the fan design

edit: meaning just buy the same fan if it already had below specs

44 minutes ago, _Hustler_One_ said:

I'm looking for any slim 140mm fan specifically with 1500 RPM and good bearing. Any mounting pattern is not a problem. I found most of slim 140mm fans has 1300 RPM rated maximum speed.

Whats your definition of slim ?? anything less than the standard 25mm ?? 

this is the closest I could find with your specs: http://www.raijintek.com/en/products_detail.php?ProductID=5

-140mm fan

-13mm thick

-pwm up to 1400rpm (100 rpm isn't much difference)

-120x120mm mounting

Edited by GeoSquigg
added info

~~~~Started Folding - Feb 7, 2019~~~~

What fan, cooler, and case are you using?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

9 hours ago, GeoSquigg said:

If it suddenly started making a noise and you didn't change anything about it, that would mean a fan going bad

No, no.. If I take it off from the case and run the fan full speed, it didn't make any noise, but when I put it back on it didn't make any noise, but slowly it started produce noise. If I take it off again while it's running, the noise is gone. I can take it off easily because the rubber pins makes it easy to do that.

Whats your definition of slim ?? anything less than the standard 25mm ??

Yes, I checked the Cryorig XT140, Prolimatec USV14, and the others, they are slim 140mm fans but only 1300 RPM, and I'm not sure how their bearing performs.

this is the closest I could find with your specs: http://www.raijintek.com/en/products_detail.php?ProductID=5

-140mm fan

-13mm thick

-pwm up to 1400rpm (100 rpm isn't much difference)

-120x120mm mounting

This is additional alternative I haven't seen, thanks man..

For the RPM? I will link it together with the other 2 cooler fans (rated at 1500 RPM) on CPU_Fan header, so I want to be able to sync their speed as close as possible if I put it as the 3rd fan for the cooler, I will mount it on the rear case vents inside the case behind the cooler as the gap between the cooler and the case only 16mm.

5 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

What fan, cooler, and case are you using?

It's NF-A14, NH-D15, Phanteks Evolv ITX case

My system specs:

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K, 5GHz Delidded LM || CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-C14S w/ NF-A15 & NF-A14 Chromax fans in push-pull cofiguration || Motherboard: MSI Z370i Gaming Pro Carbon AC || RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 2x8Gb 2666 || GPU: EVGA GTX 1060 6Gb FTW2+ DT || Storage: Samsung 860 Evo M.2 SATA SSD 250Gb, 2x 2.5" HDDs 1Tb & 500Gb || ODD: 9mm Slim DVD RW || PSU: Corsair SF600 80+ Platinum || Case: Cougar QBX + 1x Noctua NF-R8 front intake + 2x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC top exhaust + Cougar stock 92mm DC fan rear exhaust || Monitor: ASUS VG248QE || Keyboard: Ducky One 2 Mini Cherry MX Red || Mouse: Logitech G703 || Audio: Corsair HS70 Wireless || Other: XBox One S Controler

My build logs:

19 minutes ago, _Hustler_One_ said:

It's NF-A14, NH-D15, Phanteks Evolv ITX case

It's not surprising that the fan blades are too close to it since the rear fan grill protrudes outwards a bit. I think it's for the reason of fan blades being too close that there's a bump there to begin with since case fans are supposed to be mounted from the inside. You'll probably encounter the same issue with another fan. 

If you haven't already, try using some sort of spacer like rubber washers or a fan gasket. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

1 minute ago, WoodenMarker said:

It's not surprising that the fan blades are too close to it since the rear fan grill protrudes outwards a bit. I think it's for the reason of fan blades being too close that there's a bump there to begin with since case fans are supposed to be mounted from the inside. You'll probably encounter the same issue with another fan. 

If you haven't already, try using some sort of spacer like rubber washers or a fan gasket. 

I mean, by getting a slim fan I can mount it inside the case instead of outside, the gap between cooler and case is only 16mm so I cannot accommodate a 25mm thick fan inside the case. I've tried to use the spare extra thick rubber pads from my NH-U12S, it only helps when the fan run under 800 RPM the noise is gone, above 800 RPM it will produce that weird noise again.

My system specs:

Spoiler

My build logs:

3 minutes ago, _Hustler_One_ said:

I mean, by getting a slim fan I can mount it inside the case instead of outside, the gap between cooler and case is only 16mm so I cannot accommodate a 25mm thick fan inside the case. I've tried to use the spare extra thick rubber pads from my NH-U12S, it only helps when the fan run under 800 RPM the noise is gone, above 800 RPM it will produce that weird noise again.

It could be that the bump is so pronounced, that the thicker rubber corners don't provide enough distance. 

I also wouldn't be surprised if a slim fan encounters a similar issue being so close to the rear of the heatsink.

How much of a difference in temps does removing the rear exhaust fan make? I'd personally just leave the rear mount empty or cut away the mesh for the externally mounted fan. Are you using a fan grill on the current fan? 

55 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

It could be that the bump is so pronounced, that the thicker rubber corners don't provide enough distance. 

I also wouldn't be surprised if a slim fan encounters a similar issue being so close to the rear of the heatsink.

How much of a difference in temps does removing the rear exhaust fan make? I'd personally just leave the rear mount empty or cut away the mesh for the externally mounted fan. Are you using a fan grill on the current fan? 

Oh I'm sorry, it's not grill, it's mesh. I miss-name it

20190205_060200.thumb.jpg.388eee74ec69c47a2a1df585071c18e9.jpg

This mesh bump which I think is the problem.

I agree that the distance isn't enough.

When the fan is still installed outside, I tried to push the center motor from the back lightly, and it just touched the case.

But I think I will still try to put slim fan inside the case, because it helps to lower 1-2C and faster cooling after high load and will suck all the exhausted heat from the GPU around inside the case, because the fan will make offset on the top of the heatsink to guide the heat inside the case to be exhausted out, not only helping the CPU cooler, but the entire system, so I like to have fan there.

So I'm still in a quest for this specific fan.. If the RPM is irrelevant, maybe try to match the rated static pressure or airflow of the NF-A15 specs as close as possible maybe? Also a good bearing.

My system specs:

Spoiler

My build logs:

Just now, _Hustler_One_ said:

Oh I'm sorry, it's not grill, it's mesh. I miss-name it

This mesh bump which I think is the problem.

But I think I will still try to put slim fan inside the case, because it helps to lower 1-2C and faster cooling after high load and will suck all the exhausted heat from the GPU around inside the case, because the fan will make offset on the top of the heatsink to guide the heat inside the case to be exhausted out, not only helping the CPU cooler, but the entire system, so I like to have fan there.

By fan grill, I wasn't referring to the case mesh.

I'm asking if you were using a fan grill on the external fan since it would otherwise be a bit of a hazard to have fan blades out in the open. Like these: https://www.amazon.com/120mm-Black-Finger-Grills-Pack/dp/B012BAKA1U/ref=sr_1_4?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1549321790&sr=1-4&keywords=case+fan+grill

If you want something quiet, the NF-A12x15 is good. If you don't mind more noise for airflow, an Ultra Sleek Vortex 14 should be better. 

As mentioned, adding a slim fan might still encounter a similar noise issue due to how close it is to the heatsink. 

2 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

I'm asking if you were using a fan grill on the external fan since it would otherwise be a bit of a hazard to have fan blades out in the open. Like these: https://www.amazon.com/120mm-Black-Finger-Grills-Pack/dp/B012BAKA1U/ref=sr_1_4?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1549321790&sr=1-4&keywords=case+fan+grill

No, I don't have this kind of thing

If you want something quiet, the NF-A12x15 is good. If you don't mind more noise for airflow, an Ultra Sleek Vortex 14 should be better.

Is double bearing good, quiet and durable? Also that Ultra Sleek Vortex 14 has rated CFM way too high compared to its max speed, even NF-A15 which is 25mm thich and 1500 RPM has not more than 90CFM.

adding a slim fan might still encounter a similar noise issue due to how close it is to the heatsink.

Maybe it's hard to believe but earlier I installed the NF-A14 inside the case but it nudged the cooler and case, and it tilted the rear heatsink and pushed the case back away but strangely it didn't make this weird noise even at full speed. When it installed outside the case, sometimes no weird noise but slowly the noise appear.

It was like this,

20181222_110921.thumb.jpg.9ff6427dbba6d95184d70c4bdb660072.jpg

It gave the system negative physical effects, like the cooler didn't level or improperly seated on the IHS, and the GPU didn't seated properly on the PCIe slot because the mounting on the case is being pushed back by the fan and produced blurry display on the monitor.

Also see that offset between the rear fan and the heatsink by installing it on the case instead on the cooler, that peek out by the fan from the rear heatsink will guide the heat from the GPU to be exhausted out efficiently, so cooler overall system. I still want to have rear fan and install it like that but with a slimmer fan.

My system specs:

Spoiler

My build logs:

8 minutes ago, _Hustler_One_ said:

Is double bearing good, quiet and durable? Also that Ultra Sleek Vortex 14 has rated CFM way too high compared to its max speed, even NF-A15 which is 25mm thich and 1500 RPM has not more than 90CFM.

Maybe it's hard to believe but earlier I installed the NF-A14 inside the case but it nudged the cooler and case, and it tilted the rear heatsink and pushed the case back away but strangely it didn't make this weird noise even at full speed. When it installed outside the case, sometimes no weird noise but slowly the noise appear.

Double bearing is reliable but won't be as quiet as some sleeve or fluid bearing fans. 

At least according to dvtests' results, it provides more airflow than the NF-A15 in the open test stand. The spec seems believable due to how many fan blades it has. The high number of thin fan blades can allow for high airflow but at the cost of static pressure and acoustics compared to fans with fewer and wider blades. 

http://www.dvtests.com/prolimatech-ultra-sleek-vortex-14-test-and-review/

http://www.dvtests.com/noctua-nf-a15-pwm-review/

Is the NF-A14 mounted with the rubber corners between the case and fan and / or with rubber screws? It probably wouldn't up against the heatsink as much without the rubber corners and with normal fan screws. 

1 hour ago, WoodenMarker said:

Is the NF-A14 mounted with the rubber corners between the case and fan and / or with rubber screws? It probably wouldn't up against the heatsink as much without the rubber corners and with normal fan screws.

when it was installed inside the case I used normal fan screws from outside, it used the all 8 corner rubber pads (rear and front) but the rear ones were heavily pressed by tight screwing. While the front corner rubber pads were actually none of those 4 which made contact with the heatsink, the lower ones which closer to the motherboard were also hanging, so there was a contact between plastic fan frame vs heatsink instead of rubber vs heatsink. This was a mistake I know, so I want to resolve this problem by using slim 140mm fan.

Based all these conditions, do you think that Prolimatech USV14 is the best alternative for me? But it's unavailable on Amazon, idk if it's available somewhere else..

My system specs:

Spoiler

My build logs:

1 minute ago, _Hustler_One_ said:

Based all these conditions, do you think that Prolimatech USV14 is the best alternative for me? But it's unavailable on Amazon, idk if it's available somewhere else..

It's unclear whether the USV14 is the best but it should at least be good and reliable. 

Where are you shopping / located?

1 hour ago, WoodenMarker said:

It's unclear whether the USV14 is the best but it should at least be good and reliable. 

Where are you shopping / located?

I'm in Indonesia. Also can't find that USV14 here in my local..

https://graphicscardhub.com/slim-140mm-fan/

After some search and all these recommendations are being offered, only the Raijintek Aeolus α and the Cryorig XT140 are available in my local store. Actually I'm curious to the USV14 also because I like its look more than the others.

My system specs:

Spoiler

My build logs:

1 minute ago, _Hustler_One_ said:

I'm in Indonesia. Also can't find that USV14 here..

https://graphicscardhub.com/slim-140mm-fan/

After some search and all these recommendations are being offered, only the Raijintek Aeolus α and the Cryorig XT140 are available in my local store. Actually I'm curious to the USV14 also because I like its look more than the others.

The Aeolus α seems to perform better than the XT140: http://www.coolingtechnique.com/recensioni/air-cooling/dissipatori/1452-recensione-cryorig-r1-universal-xt140-e-xf140.html?start=5

Albeit not as good as the USV14: http://www.coolingtechnique.com/recensioni/air-cooling/ventole/1673-recensione-prolimatech-ultra-sleek-vortex-e-vortex-aluminum.html?start=6

I'm also unable to find the USV14 available for Indonesia. The closest I've found is the Static Booster on Newegg: https://www.newegg.com/global/id-en/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835242045&Description=prolimatech &cm_re=prolimatech-_-35-242-045-_-Product

19 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

Sweet! Thanks for the graphical review link, this review is what I actually needed since weeks ago but can't find any better than this review.

It looks like the Raijintek Aeolus α has the closest CFM & static pressure to the NF-A15 if it's not identical. I think I will get the Raijintek Aeolus α, also its looks is nice and it's even better to found that it's available in my local PC stores.

Big thanks, man! You've been helpful as always..

My system specs:

Spoiler

My build logs: