Laptop CPU Upgrade?

Keyboard is weird, is there a function key that turns it off like some have for the touchpad? Are you sure the keyboard ribbon cable is fully inserted if it was out? I had a laptop keyboard go to poop once after I had it off the chassis, no idea why it stopped working. New used keyboard fixed it in my case, hope it's just the ribbon cable!

Great news about the CPU upgrade though! Even older stuff can run well, Core2 architecture isn't bad. The 45nm CPUs are decent in desktops still, and with a board that does a stable overclock they'll run quite peppy for their cheap cheap prices. Laptop hardware of that era isn't as great but not awful.

Just now, Bitter said:

Keyboard is weird, is there a function key that turns it off like some have for the touchpad? Are you sure the keyboard ribbon cable is fully inserted if it was out? I had a laptop keyboard go to poop once after I had it off the chassis, no idea why it stopped working. New used keyboard fixed it in my case, hope it's just the ribbon cable!

I have no idea about the function, is there a way to tell?

I've tried reinstalling the cable, but both sides of the ribbon don't seem to clip in which could be the issue possibly.

Hopefully it isn't they keyboard?

My Setup :P

Spoiler

Skylake: I7-6700|MSI B150 GAMING M3|16GB GSKILL RIPJAWS V|R9 280X (WILL BE 1070)|CRUCIAL MX300 + WD BLACK 1TB

26 minutes ago, Bitter said:

Great news about the CPU upgrade though! Even older stuff can run well, Core2 architecture isn't bad. The 45nm CPUs are decent in desktops still, and with a board that does a stable overclock they'll run quite peppy for their cheap cheap prices. Laptop hardware of that era isn't as great but not awful.

Don't worry, I got my dad to help and I was putting the connector in wrong. 

One stupid mistake after all of the success?

Spoiler

Skylake: I7-6700|MSI B150 GAMING M3|16GB GSKILL RIPJAWS V|R9 280X (WILL BE 1070)|CRUCIAL MX300 + WD BLACK 1TB

Fantastic! Those little ribbon cables are difficult to work with, be it the insert kind or the little lid kind, neither are my favorite connectors to deal with. I got a small tool kit from ifixit a while ago and it's been fantastic for working on laptops and other small things around the home.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MRNIFR6/

7 hours ago, Bitter said:

Fantastic! Those little ribbon cables are difficult to work with, be it the insert kind or the little lid kind, neither are my favorite connectors to deal with. I got a small tool kit from ifixit a while ago and it's been fantastic for working on laptops and other small things around the home.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MRNIFR6/

That looks useful!

Yeah it was meant to go under and I was trying to put it in over. It really didn't look like it was meant to fit in under lol.

Spoiler