Is this motherboard and cpu compatible?

Go to solution Solved by Guest,

It's NOT ATX and it's NOT ATX compatible.

This is a proprietary motherboard from a HP Z600 workstation - not a server. While it should technically be possible to run it using a standard ATX power supply and a bunch of adapters, expect a lot of proprietary stuff. You WILL need a 24-pin to 18-pin adapter for sure.

Now, to answer your questions:

- Yes, that motherboard is compatible with those Xeon CPUs. Make sure they are paired - if they're not, you won't be able to boot.

- Check if your RAM is compatible with the motherboard. It's a workstation part, not your typical PC. You might need ECC RAM.

- I'm not sure if you're aware how much power do the X5670 CPUs draw when under load. We're talking 150-200W idle and 400+ watts under full load. That 500W PSU might not be enough, especially if you want to add GPUs.

- Your cooler won't work. Notice that Z600 motherboard requires proprietary HP coolers with 5-pin connectors, not your classic 4-pin PWM cooler. Also, it needs to be specific to that workstation, otherwise it won't work and you'll get a BIOS error on boot.

one of my hobbies is blender so I want as much performance I can get.

If you don't care about power consumption, your best bet is actually finding a decommissioned and COMPLETE workstation with a beefy PSU, and then adding your GPUs. You certainly don't want to repurpose old server/workstation parts to build a cheap rig, unless you are ready to deal with a mountain of problems and have knowledge to actually work around them. Given your post - you're clearly out of your depth.

You're going to spend more money on working around all the problems that you'd spend if you bought a ready-made solution. These machines ARE NOT made for tinkering. Keep that in mind. They are made for companies that buy them pre-configured as workhorses.

Hi.

I have newer upgraded my CPU or motherboard so I don't know if the CPU and motherboard I have found on eBay is compatible.

I don't have the biggest budget so I found an old server CPU and an old motherboard but I don't know if they are compatible.

CPU: two Intel Xeon X5670 2.93GHz (FCLGA1366) https://ark.intel.com/products/47920/Intel-Xeon-Processor-X5670-12M-Cache-2-93-GHz-6-40-GT-s-Intel-QPI-

Motherboard: one HP 461439-001 Z600 Workstation (LGA 1366/Socket B)  http://jp.ext.hp.com/lib/doc/manual/workstation/hp_workstation/504631_001.pdf

Ram: I already have 8GB ddr3

Power supply: I already have 500w

I pretty chore but will my GTX 1060 6g and my GTX 650 it boos work with this combo?

one of my hobbies is blender so I want as much performance I can get. That is why I have an old GTX 650

I think that the motherboard many is an ATX because if you look in the manual it comes from a tower, not a server. 

I'm upgrading from an i5 4430

motherboard.PNG

cpu.PNG

motherboard up.jpg

I gust find out that my old CPU cooler is compatible with a LGA 1366

It's NOT ATX and it's NOT ATX compatible.

This is a proprietary motherboard from a HP Z600 workstation - not a server. While it should technically be possible to run it using a standard ATX power supply and a bunch of adapters, expect a lot of proprietary stuff. You WILL need a 24-pin to 18-pin adapter for sure.

Now, to answer your questions:

- Yes, that motherboard is compatible with those Xeon CPUs. Make sure they are paired - if they're not, you won't be able to boot.

- Check if your RAM is compatible with the motherboard. It's a workstation part, not your typical PC. You might need ECC RAM.

- I'm not sure if you're aware how much power do the X5670 CPUs draw when under load. We're talking 150-200W idle and 400+ watts under full load. That 500W PSU might not be enough, especially if you want to add GPUs.

- Your cooler won't work. Notice that Z600 motherboard requires proprietary HP coolers with 5-pin connectors, not your classic 4-pin PWM cooler. Also, it needs to be specific to that workstation, otherwise it won't work and you'll get a BIOS error on boot.

one of my hobbies is blender so I want as much performance I can get.

If you don't care about power consumption, your best bet is actually finding a decommissioned and COMPLETE workstation with a beefy PSU, and then adding your GPUs. You certainly don't want to repurpose old server/workstation parts to build a cheap rig, unless you are ready to deal with a mountain of problems and have knowledge to actually work around them. Given your post - you're clearly out of your depth.

You're going to spend more money on working around all the problems that you'd spend if you bought a ready-made solution. These machines ARE NOT made for tinkering. Keep that in mind. They are made for companies that buy them pre-configured as workhorses.