Router 1 -> Router 2 (WDS) -> Router 3 (connected to router 2 via LAN)

Mkdd18

So im having some thoughts regarding about the routers in my house.

I just recently got a gigabit router to cater my gigabit internet and now im thinking of using the old router as an additional AP so i can directly connect my TV via LAN in the living room and to have better reception since currently the wifi signal that is coming from my room is being blocked by a significant amount because of the concrete wall and thats why i WDS'd the netgear router on the 2nd Floor then ran a LAN cable from there going to the Ground Floor Liviing Room TV.

My current setup is this:

image.png.3e4e1015dca4c20e1420c7974efec86e.png

And im thinking if its possible doing this.

image.png.079126643fc31be8e1bdda4e01ed575e.png

I know some of you might think and tell me to just run a LAN cable outside of the house leading to the living room, ive already thought about this before but as you know, weather in my country tends to be quite damaging since im living in a tropical country. Buying a weather sealed LAN cable would be my last resort since i know that thing is quite expensive and right now im just thinking of using the things that i currently have.

As far as I can tell it would work. Not exactly the ideal solution but we all know that. If you need everything on one network you'll need to use the LAN ports on the routers and disable DHCP. I don't know if WDS will carry DHCP requests like a tunnel or if it acts like a wireless cable. I've never used it you may have to experiment if you want to avoid multiple NATs. Either way everything will be able to talk to the internet. I would be concerned about bandwidth on that WDS connection and the possibility of latency. Like I wouldn't run any ping sensitive game or content on that connection and I can see it getting overloaded quickly.

2 hours ago, Windows7ge said:

As far as I can tell it would work. Not exactly the ideal solution but we all know that. If you need everything on one network you'll need to use the LAN ports on the routers and disable DHCP. I don't know if WDS will carry DHCP requests like a tunnel or if it acts like a wireless cable. I've never used it you may have to experiment if you want to avoid multiple NATs. Either way everything will be able to talk to the internet. I would be concerned about bandwidth on that WDS connection and the possibility of latency. Like I wouldn't run any ping sensitive game or content on that connection and I can see it getting overloaded quickly.

Got it to work! Tho yeah, the connection is still fluctuating since its still connected via WDS/Wifi, but still the speed is much better. Just had to change the configuration of the 3rd wifi to AP to get it to work. :)

Hopefully no more buffering when people are trying to stream in the living room.

Honestly, this isn't massively different to how mesh networks function.  If you are able to keep all the WiFi channels from overlapping, the only issue is the latency/jitter adding up with each WiFi connection.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7