GPU stuck in the PCI-e slot

alek 1337
Go to solution Solved by alek 1337,

Thanks for the help.. Stabbed the motherboard a few times but i finally switched the gpu ?

want to switch to my new 2070 from my old 970, but the gpu is stuck in the pci-e slot. i have a msi z97 motherboard. only the left side seems to slip out. ive tried to pull it back in and then redo but it wont work. all screws are out aswell.. thanks in advance

There's a plastic clip that needs to be pressed down to unlock the graphics card. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

1 minute ago, alek 1337 said:

want to switch to my new 2070 from my old 970, but the gpu is stuck in the pci-e slot. i have a msi z97 motherboard. only the left side seems to slip out. ive tried to pull it back in and then redo but it wont work. all screws are out aswell.. thanks in advance

There is a small tab on the right side (just like one you have for RAMs, did you remove that?

CPU i7 8700k MB  Asrock Z370 Killer SLI/ac GPU EVGA GTX1060 6 GB RAM 16GB DDR4 Gskill Ripjaw 3200 Mhz PSU EVGA SuperNova 750 G1+Storage 1x1TB WD Blue + 250GB WD Blue M.2 CASE Fractal design define C

Re-seat the card properly, press on the clip and try again. If you still have issues, remove the board out of the system and try again

CPU i7 8700k MB  Asrock Z370 Killer SLI/ac GPU EVGA GTX1060 6 GB RAM 16GB DDR4 Gskill Ripjaw 3200 Mhz PSU EVGA SuperNova 750 G1+Storage 1x1TB WD Blue + 250GB WD Blue M.2 CASE Fractal design define C

Some locks you have to PULL not push.  These are the ones with the release tab on the side of the slot instead of being in line with the slot.

You pull them toward the CPU socket while pulling the card out.

If that is the MSI Z97 Gaming 5, its a "push toward board" type lock.  Honestly, you can just pull the card out from the slot side first (with a little force), and you dont have to deal with the lock.

13 minutes ago, alek 1337 said:

ive tried to press it even with a screwdriver but it wont help

Are you saying that you've fully pushed it down and it's still not coming out or are you unable to push the lever down with the screwdriver? 

I usually find it easier to use my thumb behind the cpu cooler if it's a large heatsink after removing the ram. 

Make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

2 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

Are you saying that you've fully pushed it down and it's still not coming out or are you unable to push the lever down with the screwdriver? 

I usually find it easier to use my thumb behind the cpu cooler if it's a large heatsink after removing the ram. 

Make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

I will make sure to ?

2 minutes ago, alek 1337 said:

Im not so sure.. Here is a picture

That is not unlocked.

You need to pull the card toward the slot/bracket/case direction while pushing down on that lock, you have jammed it in the locked position with the angle the card is sitting at.

You should also be able to force it back in the slot by pushing the card toward the front of the case and into the slot.  Which should make unlocking it easier.

2 minutes ago, alek 1337 said:

Im not so sure.. Here is a picture 

Almost. It should be like this:

f3fc77ecd88273711d59ab6e2e124c60.png

@alek 1337

time to bust out the torch, plastic does have a relatively low melting point

(Just kidding)

but yeah i agree with @WoodenMarker push that little plastic thing down 

EDIT: try putting it all the way back in and trying to push the tab back, then pull it out with even pressure.

Current Build

Spoiler
  • CPU
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
  • GPU
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
  • Keyboard
  • Mouse
  • Sound
  • Operating System

Just pull really really hard. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

Got the gpu back in place, but the right side will still not loosen up ?

Just now, Mick Naughty said:

Just pull really really hard. 

Tried to XD

Just now, alek 1337 said:

Tried to XD

Not pulling hard enough. Also once it’s seated properly again, need to lock it then unlock the slot. Pulling up on the right while pushing the lock down could help if timed right. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

4 minutes ago, Mick Naughty said:

Not pulling hard enough. Also once it’s seated properly again, need to lock it then unlock the slot. Pulling up on the right while pushing the lock down could help if timed right. 

When I try to the left side jumps out and the right side stays in place.. I've tried applying more force but it has only led to me stabbing the motherboard unfortunately ?

8 minutes ago, alek 1337 said:

Got the gpu back in place, but the right side will still not loosen up ?

Push toward the MB PCB on the lock while pulling the "right" side of the GPU away from the MB.

Just now, alek 1337 said:

When I try to the left side jumps out and the right side stays in place.. I've tried applying more force but it has only led to me stabbing the motherboard unfortunately ?

Never use a screwdriver to do this, unless you want a broken motherboard.  Find a way to get your hand in there.

Thanks for the help.. Stabbed the motherboard a few times but i finally switched the gpu ?