Replacing Laptop Battery Cell Help

Go to solution Solved by WereCatf,
7 minutes ago, MABennett said:

Which is why I'm looking at replacing the Lithium-ion cells that are in the battery myself with new cells.

Easier said than done; opening the battery without breaking the plastic or the PCB is difficult, especially so if it has been glued shut. Also, unless you have spot-welding equipment yourself, you'll need to buy cells that already have a spot-welded nickel-strip on them so you can solder the balancing-wires to them.

Hello All,

I've got a Toshiba Satellite Pro R50-B-12V Laptop which the battery capacity is getting weak. The replacement batteries that can be purchased will work of course but the capacity is much lower than what i'm looking for and will only provide me with 1-2 hours of use out of them between charges.

Which is why I'm looking at replacing the Lithium-ion cells that are in the battery myself with new cells. I'm not sure what cells are currently in the laptop battery, all I know is it is a 14.8V at 2800mAh - 45Wh - 4 Cell.

I've looked around and want to make sure that I get a good brand of lithium-ion cells which would provide the best replacement for what is currently in the battery. The cells i have currently found is 4x 18650 Samsung 26F H Rechargeable Battery Li-ion 3.7v cells 2600mah or the Samsung 18650 30B Li-Ion 3000mAh 3.8v.

Are the above lithium-ion cells i found a suitable replacement? if so then great and if not can anyone provide me with suggestions of cells to use instead. I know to avoid the UltraFire cells since they tend to be unprotected and much lower than stated capacities.

Thanks in Advance.

Current Build - UserBenchmarks: Game 25%, Desk 37%, Work 34% - CPU: AMD FX-8350 - 44.8% - GPU: Nvidia GTX 660 - 25.3% - HDD: Seagate ST2000LM003 HN-M201RAD 2TB - 37.7% - HDD: Samsung Spinpoint F4 2TB - 3.2% - HDD: WD Green 2TB (2011) - 59% - HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 2TB - 85.3% - RAM: Unknown 2x8GB - 46% - MBD: Asus M5A97 EVO R2.0 - Conclusion = Potato.

7 minutes ago, MABennett said:

Which is why I'm looking at replacing the Lithium-ion cells that are in the battery myself with new cells.

Easier said than done; opening the battery without breaking the plastic or the PCB is difficult, especially so if it has been glued shut. Also, unless you have spot-welding equipment yourself, you'll need to buy cells that already have a spot-welded nickel-strip on them so you can solder the balancing-wires to them.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.