i7 8700 (non K) reaching 100 degrees?

Go to solution Solved by Brent744,

You should have more than enough room for your RAM. The feed tubes can also be slightly adjusted. Just remember to install the fan that is attached to the radiator as an "intake". The idea is to have cool air being sucked through the radiator in order to keep the liquid cool that is fed back to the cpu. Some will make the mistake of installing that fan as an exhaust. My overclocked Ryzen 5 idles at 21 C with a similar setup.

Hey everyone, 

Made an account just to ask this because the builders I bought this from tried to avoid my questions. I recently just purchased a new RIG that was prebuilt because of time constraints on building a new one from scratch. 

Here are the specs:

Intel Core i7 8700 [Stock cooler no aftermarket cooler]
ASUS Prime B360M-K Motherboard

ASUS GeForce RTX 2070 Dual Fan 8GB
Team T-Force Delta RGB 2400MHz 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 Black
be quiet! Pure Power 10 600W Power Supply

This is more of a concern for the temps of the CPU itself, underload it easily reaches 100 degrees celsius over a 5 minute period and it idles around 52 degrees celsius (Its currently summer in Australia and we've been hitting 40 degrees average in ambient temperature). I tried asking the builders if this was safe(for being obviously worried for the long term health of the CPU) and they said that the i7 8700 was built for these temperatures and its fine. Me, having some doubts started looking into undervolting it to try lowering some temperatures and noticed in the bios that Im already set at a voltage of 0.944 V. Slowly but surely I was lowering the voltage by 0.025- and the temperatures have been slowly reducing as well but after 0.075- my system had started to blue screen alot which I assume is from instability. 

So what Im asking is:

1. Is 0.944 V actually normal? I assume this was set by the builders themselves as I've never seen any of these values anywhere else on the net. HWinfo however has these values Im not sure are from where: KTExMHQ.jpg

2. I see lots of others with i7 8700 stock coolers reach temps of 80 average on stock cooling at 1.2V(advice from others). If Im already at 100 degrees at 0.944V is something wrong?

Side note: I havent noticed any performance loss yet while doing work or gaming. They all still feel very solid. This is just a concern for the lifespan of the chip. 

those temps are absolutely not normal. It seems like it does not even hit its boost speed of 4.6Ghz. Check if the thermal paste is ok (sometimes its not on the stock cooler) and if the cpu fan is spinning.

4 minutes ago, Schakal_No1 said:

those temps are absolutely not normal. It seems like it does not even hit its boost speed of 4.6Ghz. Check if the thermal paste is ok (sometimes its not on the stock cooler) and if the cpu fan is spinning.

I dont really have extra thermal paste on hand with me now but I can confirm that the CPU fan is spinning. I can hear it rev up whenever its underload and visibly see it. 

Just now, QTori said:

I dont really have extra thermal paste on hand with me now but I can confirm that the CPU fan is spinning. I can hear it rev up whenever its underload and visibly see it. 

Just take it off and put it back on without much time in between. As long as you don't let it appart for dust to settle in there is no problem. Just snap a picture and upload it here.

4 minutes ago, QTori said:

If the paste is soft enough to push to middle of cpu, you could reuse that.

If it became brittle powerish, wipe it and replace with toothpaste as te,p fix.

what is the cooler using??

22 minutes ago, QTori said:

If Im already at 100 degrees at 0.944V is something wrong?

this temp in idle looks like the cooler is NOT in contact with cpu!!

as above. it will be a contact issue. If its a prebuilt you can call them up and make them fix the problem. 

if you want to fix it yourself just re-apply thermal paste (which involves re-seating the cooler). Altho before you do that check the obvious, has the thing been screwed down properly? a quick tighten may fix it.

it wont be the fans, as even without the fans running it should keep it cooler than that at idle

IMG_20190131_204928.jpg?width=552&height=414

To those that requested the pic

I made sure the heatsink was tightly attached first and noticed that the cable management from whoever did it slotted in wires inbetween the pegs and the heatsink for some reason. Not sure if that was intended. Will plug it back in and try again.

thats not made contact properly. the cables were probably the problem simply refit it making sure none get caught.

or better still throw that horrible stock cooler away and buy... well... ANYTHING else :)

Just now, Jay Deah said:

that horrible stock cooler away and buy... well... ANYTHING else :)

well , keeping it as spare is still fine, you should see 90~100C at load instead of idle

1 minute ago, Jay Deah said:

thats not made contact properly. the cables were probably the problem simply refit it making sure none get caught.

or better still throw that horrible stock cooler away and buy... well... ANYTHING else :)

Do you have a recommendation for a better cooler? Because I did not realize how small this motherboard was until I got it(was in a rush and didnt have enough time) the stock cooler just barely touches the ram sticks to the right of it. So Im worried about aftermarket coolers that would be too big to fit in.

8 minutes ago, dgsddfgdfhgs said:

well , keeping it as spare is still fine, you should see 90~100C at load instead of idle

I have 52 degrees on idle and 90-100 c on load 

Here are my temps after checking the thermal paste and resitting the heatsink. It takes about 3-4 minutes to hit 100 degrees stresstesting on Prime95

gqPyVir.jpg

No changes whatsoever. 

1 hour ago, QTori said:

I have 52 degrees on idle and 90-100 c on load 

Here are my temps after checking the thermal paste and resitting the heatsink. It takes about 3-4 minutes to hit 100 degrees stresstesting on Prime95

gqPyVir.jpg

No changes whatsoever. 

I would use normal operations to stress tests it. Prime95 has always driven my PC to 100C despite gaming and idle temps being fine. (With a stock cooler that is)

1 minute ago, RAM555789 said:

I would use normal operations to stress tests it. Prime95 has always driven my PC to 100C despite gaming and idle temps being fine. (With a stock cooler that is)

What are your normal gaming temps? Cause I hit high 90s in most games I've tested so far that have released in the last 2 years.

All Kaby Lake and above cpu's run extremely hot. That is a stock intel cooler correct? It is my understanding that intel does not supply newer (k) series cpu's with stock coolers for this exact reason, they do not provide enough cooling power. My recommendation is that you switch to liquid cooling. They're quite cost effective and easy to install these days.

Intel Core i7 9700F / Cooler Master 212 Evo / GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER / 16 GB G.SKILL RAM @ 2666MHz / GA-B365M-DS3H / EVGA 500w PSU

HP Pavilion Gaming 15 / Ryzen 5 4600H / GeForce GTX 1050 / 8 GB @ 3200MHz

Disregard my comment lol, Sorry, Non-k

Intel Core i7 9700F / Cooler Master 212 Evo / GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER / 16 GB G.SKILL RAM @ 2666MHz / GA-B365M-DS3H / EVGA 500w PSU

4 minutes ago, Brent744 said:

All Kaby Lake and above cpu's run extremely hot. That is a stock intel cooler correct? It is my understanding that intel does not supply newer (k) series cpu's with stock coolers for this exact reason, they do not provide enough cooling power. My recommendation is that you switch to liquid cooling. They're quite cost effective and easy to install these days.

Thank you for the info! I just need to know these things because uncertainty with a new system is terrifying. Im looking to get a Corsair - H60 (2018) 57.2 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler, will it reduce temps enough to make a difference? I've never used a liquid cooler before. I'm also worried that the part that is suppose to attach to the CPU itself would nudge my RAM sticks. As it can be seen pretty close to the CPU itself in the pic above.

I have that exact cooler for my intel build and I can highly recommend it. I can see if I can upload a photo to give u an idea of how it looks on the inside of my case and how much room it uses. And yes that will drastically reduce cpu temps. I also recommend purchasing some Arctic Silver 5 thermal paste to go with it, it has the best ratings in the business.

Intel_7600k_2.JPG

3 minutes ago, Brent744 said:

imageproxy.php?img=&key=17c10421afdc6db8img

Much appreciated!

That looks almost similar to the same motherboard layout I have! What im worried about the most is that little part here: lFqTtUE.jpg

That would get in the way of the pump but from the looks of it you turned the pump around 90 degrees so it avoids it. Didn't even know that was possible! Also, I noticed from reviews online that people arent sure which direction should the fan face. Should it be sucking air into the unit or blowing air out of it?

You should have more than enough room for your RAM. The feed tubes can also be slightly adjusted. Just remember to install the fan that is attached to the radiator as an "intake". The idea is to have cool air being sucked through the radiator in order to keep the liquid cool that is fed back to the cpu. Some will make the mistake of installing that fan as an exhaust. My overclocked Ryzen 5 idles at 21 C with a similar setup.

No that capacitor will not get in the way. Look at my board, I have one in the same spot.

2 minutes ago, Brent744 said:

Great! Will get round to getting this now. 

Thanks for the help!

Happy to help. Also, having the radiator fan as an "intake", ensure to install a fan at the top as an "exhaust". Heat naturally rises so I found this to be the most effective cooling solution. Please re-post here to keep us updated if this corrects your issue.

• 6 months later...

hello, i have an i7 8700 non k and im also reaching 100 degrees c, it stays idle at 74 but as soon as a game starts or a program the turbo kicks in and i get notifications of the cpu temps going over 100. 

im fairly new to computers so i dont really have much knowledge but i do know that these temperatures are really high. im not even playing graphic extensive games. 

i have an Asus ROG g21-cn, a custom pre built pc from ROG. everything else is upgradeable besides the CPU fan. 

image.png