i7-9700k Gaming Rig with RTX2070.

Thavion Hawk

So I'm going to start this out by going over the customer for which this system was built and the systems he has now.

His oldest system that this is "Replacing" is his old Phenom II x6 1100t rig. Here is a picture of it in its current form.1383856295_OldPC.jpg.793b8574b6ffc281341cc1e4ce880108.jpg

Originally ordered and built before I started working here(I'm friends with this guy from before he even got this system so I know the story behind it) This system was original specked with a pair of GTX285's justifying the then massive for its time 1000W PSU(The one in the picture is the 3rd PSU installed after the first two failed) After many moons he finally decide to upgrade to a new rig and at the same time upgraded this to give to his son. That upgrade included a single GTX980, 1TB Samsung 850 Pro SSD, 2 x 3TB Seagate HDD's in RAID 1, SoundBlaster FX Soundcard and a BD-RW Drive.

I don't have any pictures of the system he replaced this one with, but it was and is to this date the most expensive PC I've built(Despite it nolonger being even close to the most powerful) So I remember everything I put inside of it.

That system has the following

i7-5960X

Asus X99-A

32GB DDR4 (4x8GB 2133Mhz)

ASUS GTX980Ti

Samsung 850Pro 1TB

Corsair AX1200i

Corsair Carbide 750D

(Originally a Intel Reference, then Upgraded to a Corsair H100i) CPU Cooler

When it was built and sold it cost him close over $4,000(That price includes some other stuff but I don't recall the parts cost alone)

Now for the new build that's actually replacing his Old PC and not his i7-5960X PC.

Parts:

Parts.jpg.1fcf631a7a43f382750e53c762da35be.jpg

i7-9700k

Asus Prime Z390-A

32GB DDR4 (2x16GB 2400Mhz Crucial)

CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Evo

1TB Samsung 970 EVO NVME SSD

EVGA 850G3 PSU

CoolerMaster MasterBox Pro 5 RGB (I will be Mesh Modding the Front Panel of the case to fix the Airflow)

CPU and SSD in the Mobo:

876702026_MoboCPUSSD-Heatsyncs.jpg.40f30aa931f0fbdc26f5df379ba66258.jpg

Parts under Cooling + Memory:

1585535780_MoboCPUSSDRAMHeatsyncs.jpg.903111a4a07921178a176260211b381f.jpg

PSU and Mobo in the system, all the Cables Run and Managed but no GPU:

2112387680_AllbuttheGPU1.jpg.0394622efbc29c86df3b03f44bf4a1cc.jpg

Yes I know the rear case fan cable stands out, but the white shroud makes it hard to hide. I could have run it to the second CPU header, but what ever.

Here's the Finished build from behind:

599425090_FinalRearView.jpg.6eb8e52226d7b1a767e8a63af0db17a6.jpg

Here's the fail on my part. I had to go on multiple on site services, handed the system off to my coworker to finish and have no pictures from the front or of the final interior. Just know it looked like the All but the GPU Pick but with a GPU. This last picture shows the GPU Power run up then down the back before going to the GPU itself.

All of this comes down to a guy that plays WoW. Just Wow. Nothing Else At All! Just WoW. Now having a Phenome II x6 system with a GTX980, a i7-5960X system with a GTX980ti and an i7-9700k system with an RTX2070, all at his desk to play WoW! I wish I had a picture of his setup, and no he doesn't use them all to play the game at the same time, but if one messes up for any reason he just turns on the other like a fail-safe instead of troubleshooting what ever problem occurred. This is the kind of thing a trust fund baby like him with Millions in the bank can do that us wage slave plebs can't.

Wish I had more pictures to share, but that's it. I'll be posting another Thread Ripper Build later this week. Just waiting on a GPU and SSD for it so stay tuned.

10 minutes ago, Thavion Hawk said:

(Originally a Intel Reference, then Upgraded to a Corsair H100i) CPU Cooler

10 minutes ago, Thavion Hawk said:

i7-5960X

?????????????¿¿¿???¿¿¿????

what was the rationale for that? Unless it was one of those classic enormous Intel coolers more reminiscent of AMD's current wraith offerings

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

So here's the thing. I had no involvement in the parts selection of the i7-5960X build. The Store Manager at the time ordered what she thought was the best parts and had no idea what a good cooler was. Top of the line CPU, GPU and big PSU to power them in an expensive big case, but failing on the cooler selection. 

This is the cooler in question 

Now playing WoW and not Overclocking at all, that cooler wasn't total shit to the point of failure, but it was total shit and for that reason it was later replaced.

1 minute ago, Thavion Hawk said:

This is the cooler in question

Ah so it was a nice tall cooler, at least it was enough. The current boxed coolers are like half as tall, would have been much worse.

How are the thermals on the i9 system with that 212 Evo?

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

I ran testing with and without the front case panel of the CoolerMaster Master Box 5 RGB. With ASUS's All Core Boost enabled the system hit the high 80's Open and 90's Closed(The Front Panel On and Off only, both Side Panels left on.) I disabled the feature to let the CPU run to Intel's Spec and it dropped about 5C Open and Closed. Under full load the CPU pulled 160W according to HWMonitor and I don't doubt it.

All and all the i7-9700k is HOT and the Hyper 212 is enough to cool it, but not enough to overclock. I wouldn't even trust it for a full fat 9900k stock. Thankfully this system will never be overclocked. It will have a mesh mod done on the front panel to help with the case's naturally choked airflow.