Be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 fan issue.

Special Agent 星雨
Go to solution Solved by Special Agent 星雨,

Edit - Cooler Master? I'm high as a kite, I meant Be Quiet.

Thought I'd just post an update - Cooler Master Be Quiet did confirm via e-mail that you do indeed need a decoupler (this rubber thing that sits between the fan and the heatsink, the front 120mm has one by default, but there are no extras included in the box) to allow a silent wings fan to be able to work in the rear orientation, odd, considering they include metal brackets but not this decoupler?

With that said, a free one is being sent out so I cannot really complain, but if others encounter the same issue just have a chat with Be Quiet customer support!

Looking for people who use the Be Quiet! DRP4 because it seems like I'm the only person experiencing this.

The cooler comes includes two Be Quiet! fans, very good performance and extremely quiet. One 135mm fan and a 120mm fan. The "default" configuration is, the 135mm fan sits between the two heatsink towers whilst the 120mm fan sits as intake on the right side of the heatsink.

I'm trying to move this 120mm fan to the other side of the heatsink, but some parts if not all of the fan blades of this 120mm fan seem to be making contact with the heatsink, causing a deafening plastic to metal sound that nearly gave me a heart attack when I first heard it.

One thing to note is that on the right hand side of the heatsink, there are these two rubber strips that sit between the fan and the heatsink, but if I remove those as well, and move it to the other side to be used with the 120mm fan in it's new position, the blades will instead be making contact with these rubber strips instead, solving one issue and creating another.

Faulty fan? The fan itself performs perfectly fine whilst in the "default" configuration location.

If I need to provide more information please comment, thanks.

I'm no Special Agent myself, but my Dad was!

Ryzen 7 3700X

Lian Li Galahad 360mm White AIO

4 x 8GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB

Asus X570-E motherboard

KFA2 RTX 2080Ti SG

EVGA 850W P2 PSU

Samsung 970 Pro SSD, Crucial MX500 SSD, WD Blue HDD, WD Blue HDD, WD Green HDD, Silicon Power SSD.

All wrapped in a Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic XL case.

2 minutes ago, Special Agent 星雨 said:

Faulty fan?

From everything you described it seems that it is a mounting issue, if you could provide a picture of the problem that would be good.

I only see your reply if you @ me.

This reply/comment was generated by AI.

Have you tried remounting the fan? If the clips aren't on the same fins, it can warp the frame which can cause this issue.

Have you seen examples of others doing the same as you and not encountering this issue? It could also be that the fans are just not designed to be used in pull on this heatsink.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

14 hours ago, Origami Cactus said:

From everything you described it seems that it is a mounting issue, if you could provide a picture of the problem that would be good.

Not sure if this helps at all, but there are differences in shape between the front and rear side of the heatsink, which is what I have concluded as causing the problem.

900F2B02-1101-49CA-8343-0B5868ECC53E.jpeg

AA35E743-FF3F-41E3-AAB4-A5E5411A5291.jpeg

Ryzen 7 3700X

Asus X570-E motherboard

KFA2 RTX 2080Ti SG

EVGA 850W P2 PSU

Samsung 970 Pro SSD, Crucial MX500 SSD, WD Blue HDD, WD Blue HDD, WD Green HDD, Silicon Power SSD.

10 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

Have you tried remounting the fan? If the clips aren't on the same fins, it can warp the frame which can cause this issue.

Have you seen examples of others doing the same as you and not encountering this issue? It could also be that the fans are just not designed to be used in pull on this heatsink.

I have tried remounting the fan in a number of positions, closer to the motherboard, farther from the motherboard, all yield the same result.

I have seen posts of people asking whether a third fan will help cool better, but have yet to see people encountering issues mounting said third fan on the rear side.

It's definitely designed for a third fan though, in the manual it even says something like "If you wish to use a third fan on the cooler, a pair of metal brackets are provided for you.", and there's a picture of a third fan being installed, but their own Silent Wings 3 fan will not fit? I am beyond confused.

Ryzen 7 3700X

Asus X570-E motherboard

KFA2 RTX 2080Ti SG

EVGA 850W P2 PSU

15 hours ago, Special Agent 星雨 said:

there's a picture of a third fan being installed

Can you post the picture? i'm having trouble finding it. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

• 2 weeks later...

Edit - Cooler Master? I'm high as a kite, I meant Be Quiet.

Thought I'd just post an update - Cooler Master Be Quiet did confirm via e-mail that you do indeed need a decoupler (this rubber thing that sits between the fan and the heatsink, the front 120mm has one by default, but there are no extras included in the box) to allow a silent wings fan to be able to work in the rear orientation, odd, considering they include metal brackets but not this decoupler?

With that said, a free one is being sent out so I cannot really complain, but if others encounter the same issue just have a chat with Be Quiet customer support!

Ryzen 7 3700X

Asus X570-E motherboard

KFA2 RTX 2080Ti SG

EVGA 850W P2 PSU