Which of these laptops should I get?

kiicki

I will be ordering a laptop from Norway, and I will be using the search engine that I will provide in a link here. I'm coming from an Alienware M17x R3, and I'm looking for a lighter laptop with better battery life. I want something that has a decent build quality, but not sure if I can get that with this budget. I don't want any material near the wrist that can or will wear off quickly. I'm not a power user when it comes to laptops. I won't be using it for gaming, except for maybe Football Manager, and Age of empires 2, which aren't demanding games. Mostly I will just browse the web with this laptop. Watch Youtube, have several Chrome tabs open, and possible multitask. I might do music producton on it, but not heavy since I mostly use my desktop for that. Even if I'm going to do basic tasks, I don't want something really cheap as I even find these laptops to struggle with basic tasks. It should run smooth and snappy even for basic tasks.

From the laptops available, I'm sure the Thinkpad got the best build quality, but would you guys suggest another laptop? Something that's maybe more powerful with almost as good build quality as the Thinkpad?

The filters I have applied:

• Minimum 8GB Memory
  • Max 2.2 kg
  • Screen 15-16 inch
  • Screen Panel: IPS
  • CPU: Quad Core
  • Max 10.000 NOK ($1,175) I'm really looking for under 8.000 NOK ($940)

I haven't applied any filters to if it should come with a SSD or not. I own a 2.5 inch SSD that I can use in my new laptop if it supports it. I will provide a link where I don't have SSD included in the filters, and another link where SSD with minimum 100GB is included in the filters.

Without SSD applied to the filters

With SSD 100GB+ applied to the filters

the acer swift 3 gets recommendations from r/suggestalaptop's discord for being a cheap ultrabook that I assume works well and can cTDP up that is pretty decent at it's price point for price/performance, "cheapest thing worth buying", although the display is terrible 

I think most ultrabooks nowadays don't have enough room for a 2.5" HDD/SSD, and now exclusively use a M.2 2280 drive

I own a ThinkPad T480 with an i5 8350u, MX150, WQHD, and 24GB of RAM if you have any questions about the T480, although T480 w/ anything not 768p TN and a i5 8250u might be out of your price range. I think the E/L ThinkPads have a different build but close enough to the same internals however. 

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

3 minutes ago, themctipers said:

the acer swift 3 gets recommendations from r/suggestalaptop's discord for being a cheap ultrabook that I assume works well and can cTDP up

I think most ultrabooks nowadays don't have enough room for a 2.5" HDD/SSD, and now exclusively use a M.2 2280 drive

I own a ThinkPad T480 with an i5 8350u, MX150, WQHD, and 24GB of RAM if you have any questions about the T480, although T480 w/ anything not 768p TN and a i5 8250u might be out of your price range. I think the E/L ThinkPads have a different build but close enough to the same internals however. 

It seems that the only Thinkpads available with my filters are E580 and L580. They all come with 8GB ram. i5 8250U. They all seems to be identical in terms of specs. Not sure which of these two models I would choose. I could also take a look at the Acer Swift 3.

@GeneXiS_X (he knows things about laptops)

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

11 hours ago, kiicki said:

snip

Preferred min battery life in hours? Mind low sRGB display? Mind non-upgradable RAM? Don't want anything under 15 inch?

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

On 1/28/2019 at 9:04 AM, GeneXiS_X said:

Preferred min battery life in hours? Mind low sRGB display? Mind non-upgradable RAM? Don't want anything under 15 inch?

I guess 8 hours battery life would be nice. I don't mind that I can't upgrade the RAM. I only want 15 inch. Don't want smaller, nor bigger. Not sure what "low sRGB  display" is. If that has something to do with the color of the display, I guess I don't mind. I'm coming from a 900p 17 inch screen.

Lenovo Thinkpad L580 with FHD IPS

Lenovo Thinkpad E580 (iGPU) with FHD IPS

HP Probook 650 G4

HP Envy x360 15

Acer Swift 3 SF315-52

Acer Aspire 5 A515-52 with FHD IPS

Let me know if you have other options in mind

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

4 hours ago, GeneXiS_X said:

Lenovo Thinkpad L580 with FHD IPS

Lenovo Thinkpad E580 (iGPU) with FHD IPS

HP Probook 650 G4

HP Envy x360 15

Acer Swift 3 SF315-52

Acer Aspire 5 A515-52 with FHD IPS

Let me know if you have other options in mind

My new options are these

I would like something that is built well, and that has a decent keyboard. Battery life is important too. Something minimum of 6-8 hours. Performance can come secondary I guess. Even though it sounds like I want a Thinkpad, I'm sure there are other laptops here with good build quality and keyboard.

In the link, there's a Google spreadsheet. In that spreadsheet you can also find the link to the search engine, and you can see what filters I have been using.

I would still remain my recommendations

Desktop specs:

Spoiler