Laptop memory question.

Hi there guys. I have an Y520 laptop with GTX 1050 4GB and 4GB of ram, with 1 free slot. What do you suggest me do?

1. Adding another 4GB stick, having 8GB total run in dual channel, or

2. Adding an 8GB stick, having 12GB of ram total.

I know the first may be better, but I want to play some online mmo's that require 8GB of ram, and also have some chrome tabs (around 5-6) open while gaming. I don't know what is better, 8GB in dual-channel, or 12GB of total ram?

P.S. I cannot get 2x8GB sticks because it will void my 2 year-warranty, it's a new laptop so please don't suggest that.

Thank you all for helping me.

Getting ram in different sizes is bad for the latency so it will slow down your computer quite a bit, 8GBs of ram is enough for most cases anyway.

Buy an 8GB stick and remove the 4GB stick, buy a second 8GB stick when you can afford to.

Like Darpyface said don't run 2 different sized sticks of ram

AsRock X99 Taichi MB // Intel Core i7-6800k Overclocked @ 4.0GHZ // Noctua NH-U14S Cooler // Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 // EVGA GeForce 980Ti SC+ // Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD // 2TB WD Gold HDD // Corsair RM850 PSU // Corsair Obsidian Series 750D // Asus VG248QE 144Hz

****************************************************************************************************************************************************

GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD5H LGA 1155 Intel Z77 // Intel Core i5-3570k Overclocked @ 4.2GHZ // Noctua NH-L9x65 Cooler // Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR3 // EVGA GeForce 960 // 250 GB WD Blue HDD // EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G3, 80+ GOLD // Corsair Carbide Series 100R

I cannot remove the 4GB stick because it will void my 2 year warranty. So I think I will be better off buying an identical stick of 4GB.

35 minutes ago, VladislavP said:

some online mmo's that require 8GB of ram

Rather demanding for an online MMO, which games are these? I feel as though you'd be able to do just fine with 8GB

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

For example Black Desert Online requires 8GB, but I want to have some youtube music in the background playing and some tabs open.

The only way removing the 4GB stick would void warranty is if for some reason the 8GB stick was the cause for a failure that required warranty work.

AsRock X99 Taichi MB // Intel Core i7-6800k Overclocked @ 4.0GHZ // Noctua NH-U14S Cooler // Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 // EVGA GeForce 980Ti SC+ // Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD // 2TB WD Gold HDD // Corsair RM850 PSU // Corsair Obsidian Series 750D // Asus VG248QE 144Hz

****************************************************************************************************************************************************

GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD5H LGA 1155 Intel Z77 // Intel Core i5-3570k Overclocked @ 4.2GHZ // Noctua NH-L9x65 Cooler // Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR3 // EVGA GeForce 960 // 250 GB WD Blue HDD // EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G3, 80+ GOLD // Corsair Carbide Series 100R

I have a seal over the 4gb stick. If I remove the ram the seal gets broken...

Try to use the 8gb stick as it will be compatible with the configuration you have on your laptop. I have also done the same mistake and got the ERROR CODE 0XC0000428 on my system. Then I have to use a different stick as well.