Pocophone F1 or Galaxy S9

nipplesalad

Hey guys i've been looking for a new phone for a while and i found the Pocophone F1 128gb version for 340 and the galaxy S9 64gb version for 400

I can't figure out which one i should get... For me the storage from the F1 is a huge plus but the S9's better screen and form factor are also very appealing

I hope you guys can help me out, thanks alot!

3 minutes ago, nipplesalad said:

For me the storage from the F1 is a huge plus but the S9's better screen and form factor are also very appealing

The S9's storage can be expanded if necessary, not to mention that it's better than the F1 in almost every way (except for value).

I recommend getting the S9 over the F1.

CPU: Intel Core i7-950 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R CPU Cooler: NZXT HAVIK 140 RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 (1x2GB), Crucial DDR3-1600 (2x4GB), Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 (1x4GB) GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 DirectCU II 2GB SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" 1TB HDDs: WD Green 3.5" 1TB, WD Blue 3.5" 1TB PSU: Corsair AX860i & CableMod ModFlex Cables Case: Fractal Design Meshify C TG (White) Fans: 2x Dynamic X2 GP-12 Monitors: LG 24GL600F, Samsung S24D390 Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Mouse Pad: Steelseries QcK Audio: Bose SoundSport In-Ear Headphones

I'd 100% go with the S9.

Does the F1 have all the bands you need for your carrier?

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Just now, dizmo said:

I'd 100% go with the S9.

Does the F1 have all the bands you need for your carrier?

I'm not sure but where i'm from my courier can do all bands like 2 3 and 4G if that's what you mean

Just now, nipplesalad said:

I'm not sure but where i'm from my courier can do all bands like 2 3 and 4G if that's what you mean

That's not what I mean at all. You should really research to make sure, if the phone doesn't support the required bands, it simply won't work.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

Spoiler

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

1 minute ago, dizmo said:

That's not what I mean at all. You should really research to make sure, if the phone doesn't support the required bands, it simply won't work.

It can get 1800 and my courier does 800 1800 and 2600 so i think im good

4 minutes ago, nipplesalad said:

It can get 1800 and my courier does 800 1800 and 2600 so i think im good

You want them all ideally. Having one drastically reduces performance.

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

Just now, dizmo said:

You want them all ideally. Having one drastically reduces performance.

I dont use data much (almost never), does it affect calling tho?

The S9 is superior to the F1 in basically every way.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

In what ways is the S9 better than the F1, the F1 has a better battery and storage right?

S9+ rather. Those 6gb Ram instead of 4gb does make a good difference, when you use alot apps at the same time, and switch between them.

Also, the secondary Camera.

In my Opinion: The S9+ is worth these 100 bucks over the regular S9, since you will use that for the next 2-3 years.

But if you're not into "poweruser", or prefer the smalelr size, it is indeed an argument. And the Value for the regular S9 is still a very very good one for 400~

Edit: 

- Pocophone has a better battery live. Regular S9 has a below average battery life - S9+ is better there.

- Storage is NOT better on Pocophone F1. Both use UFS 2.1 Storage. Pocophone simply has more storage 

What would you pay for a Xiaomi Mi 8 64/128gb?

3 minutes ago, Darkseth said:

S9+ rather. Those 6gb Ram instead of 4gb does make a good difference, when you use alot apps at the same time, and switch between them.

Also, the secondary Camera.

In my Opinion: The S9+ is worth these 100 bucks over the regular S9, since you will use that for the next 2-3 years.

But if you're not into "poweruser", or prefer the smalelr size, it is indeed an argument. And the Value for the regular S9 is still a very very good one for 400~

Edit: 

- Pocophone has a better battery live. Regular S9 has a below average battery life - S9+ is better there.

- Storage is NOT better on Pocophone F1. Both use UFS 2.1 Storage. Pocophone simply has more storage 

What would you pay for a Xiaomi Mi 8 64/128gb?

The Mi 8 64gb is 370 and the 128gb is 420, the S9 plus is 480 but i really prefer the smaller size of the regular S9. Is the battery enough to get through the day?

1 hour ago, nipplesalad said:

I dont use data much (almost never), does it affect calling tho?

Yes. It affects everything. It's how the signal gets to your phone.

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

1 minute ago, dizmo said:

Yes. It affects everything. It's how the signal gets to your phone.

No one seems to complain about it in the reviews so i don't think its a big issue in my country

1 hour ago, nipplesalad said:

Is the battery enough to get through the day?

Most likely - but it depends how you use it.

Are you a poweruser, who is 80% of his daytime on the phone? Then no

It's more like... you will probably get 5~ hours SoT, instead of 8. maybe 6. Just check reviews for that ^^ But it does work^^ For emergency, you can always carry a Powerbank with you.

If the rest of the phone is really good for your taste, nothing wrong with it.

Just now, Darkseth said:

Most likely - but it depends how you use it.

Are you a poweruser, who is 80% of his daytime on the phone? Then no

It's more like... you will probably get 5~ hours SoT, instead of 8. maybe 6. Just check reviews for that ^^ But it does work^^ For emergency, you can always carry a Powerbank with you.

If the rest of the phone is really good for your taste, nothing wrong with it.

I'm not a power user, i occasionally play a game on it like hearthstone or easy to run casual games but i do use it alot for youtube or other basic phone stuff. I'm just not sure if the S9 is worth the 60$ more...

Let me point it down for you, S9 has compared to the Pocophone:

- MUCH better Screen. Not just Panel type (Oled vs. IPS), but also the Panel Quality/Calibration, and Resolution.

- Qi Charging

- MUCH more premium feel. Metal and Glas (Pocophone is ALL plastic. Keep in Mind, Plastic simply feels less premium, it is NOT a bad or worse material)

- IP68 rating

- Optical Image stabilisation for better low light (Pocophone has Google Camera port, including Google's Night Sight mode, which is awesome)

- no notch

- Widewine L1 for HD netflix etc (Pocophone was supposed to get an update, but i couldn't find reviews who claim that it actually works now)

- Probably something i forgot

If it's just 60 bucks more? Yes, it is absolutely worth.

You only miss out:

- only 4gb Ram

- smaller battery (but also, phone is more compact)

19 minutes ago, nipplesalad said:

I'm not a power user, i occasionally play a game on it like hearthstone or easy to run casual games but i do use it alot for youtube or other basic phone stuff. I'm just not sure if the S9 is worth the 60$ more...

I have an s9. I'm not a power user, I surf the web and text on my phone.

Alot of times the phone will die towards the end of the day. Battery life is tolerable.

The 1440p oled screen is nice, but the curved corners cut off media and the rounded edges make it near impossible to use a decent screen protector and a case. (Do not get talked into the liquid screen protectors)

The construction is all glass, you drop the s9 it is toast even with a nice case.

Camera is meh.

2 hours ago, nipplesalad said:

In what ways is the S9 better than the F1, the F1 has a better battery and storage right?

Right, but it's like you said that an Volkswagen Golf is better than a Ferrari because it has a larger trunk...

The S9 has a miles better screen, camera and build quality, better software, especially with the new Android Pie update of Samsung's UI.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

Definitely go for the S9. The only downside I'd say it has over the Pocophone F1 is the lesser battery and RAM. Otherwise, the S9 has everything going on its side. And with the new One UI on the horizon, you are sure to get a better user experience compared to the Samsung Experience UI.