DIR-890L Firmware upgrade keeps failing!

waterjug

I'm trying to install DD-WRT on my DIR-890L router, but every time I upload the .bin file, it says "Firmware Upgrade Failed". With some google searches, it said on some random old fourm someone suggested using an older stock firmware when upgrading to the custom dd-wrt firmware. I downloaded then uploaded the older firmware from the d-link website to the router, and it still says update failed. I've also tried several dd-wrt versions from the dd-wrt website.

If it's any help, this is the guide I'm using to upgrade (as you can see I'm already stuck on step 1)

Hopefully someone happens to stumble across this post that knows something about ddwrt or has a dir-890l router.

linus sex tips

On my Dir835 I had to install an old version of DDWRT. Also are you following the instructions from the peacock thread?

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

5 hours ago, Donut417 said:

On my Dir835 I had to install an old version of DDWRT. Also are you following the instructions from the peacock thread?

Thanks though, I finally figured it out, I needed to go into firmware recovery mode to install the custom firmware, you can't install it from the router ip page.

linus sex tips

3 hours ago, waterjug said:

Thanks though, I finally figured it out, I needed to go into firmware recovery mode to install the custom firmware, you can't install it from the router ip page.

Glad you figured it out. Next time read the Peacock thread over at the DDWRT forums. Its basically a mass thread about installation procedures. You probably had to do the 30-30-30 reset I assume to get in to recovery mode. You also might want to check out the WiKi as there are a lot of features with DDWRT. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn.