Console Resolution Scaling on a 1440p monitor

Hello!

Almost Two years ago I Jumped from 1280x720 resolution to 1920x1080, the trip has been awesome! God bless the PC.

Now I want to step up my game, I will be getting a 1440p 144hz monitor and a better Graphics Card for my Pc.

However, I'm also a Console user (PS4 Standard and Switch), and those consoles only  output  up to 1080p(some games on the switch run even lower than 720p while docked, Doom reaches 620p sometimes with the Dynamic Resolution)

What got me worried is that people say that displaying 1080p on a 1440p monitor looks pretty bad, so I did some research and it turns out to be dependant on the scaling done by each monitor model how good the end result will be. This was honestly shocking for me since I didn't really notice anything too bad when playing Zelda BOTW at 900p on my current 1080p monitor.

I am willing to make some compromises in terms of quality... but if the compromise is more than lets say 30% worse than my current experience then I rather keep my 1080p monitor because 50% of my time playing is on console.

My questions:

How Horrible does generally look 1080p on a 1440p display? Is it unplayable?

Any recommendations on monitors that do the best scaling work?

Am I understanding something wrong??

Is it really worse than playing on a native 1080p resolution?

Thanks for reading!

7 minutes ago, Arenero14 said:

Hello!

Almost Two years ago I Jumped from 1280x720 resolution to 1920x1080, the trip has been awesome! God bless the PC.

Now I want to step up my game, I will be getting a 1440p 144hz monitor and a better Graphics Card for my Pc.

However, I'm also a Console user (PS4 Standard and Switch), and those consoles only  output  up to 1080p(some games on the switch run even lower than 720p while docked, Doom reaches 620p sometimes with the Dynamic Resolution)

What got me worried is that people say that displaying 1080p on a 1440p monitor looks pretty bad, so I did some research and it turns out to be dependant on the scaling done by each monitor model how good the end result will be. This was honestly shocking for me since I didn't really notice anything too bad when playing Zelda BOTW at 900p on my current 1080p monitor.

I am willing to make some compromises in terms of quality... but if the compromise is more than lets say 30% worse than my current experience then I rather keep my 1080p monitor because 50% of my time playing is on console.

My questions:

How Horrible does generally look 1080p on a 1440p display? Is it unplayable?

Any recommendations on monitors that do the best scaling work?

Am I understanding something wrong??

Is it really worse than playing on a native 1080p resolution?

Thanks for reading!

It looks very bad on desktop, browser, text type things. In images/games/movies, it's not really that big of a deal. People tend to over-exaggerate, it's part of the elitism you find a lot of in the gaming community ("anything less than the theoretical best setting looks like trash", etc.)

55 minutes ago, Glenwing said:

It looks very bad on desktop, browser, text type things. In images/games/movies, it's not really that big of a deal. People tend to over-exaggerate, it's part of the elitism you find a lot of in the gaming community ("anything less than the theoretical best setting looks like trash", etc.)

This is quite good news...

Do you think that it is comparable to, for example, a youtube video in 720p instead of 1080p? If that's the case I really don't mind at all.

From the opinions that I have read online, I was thinking that games were going to be blurry, unplayable messes.