Not getting usual mbps

Achilles

Hi,

So I just got a pc and connected it to my university network by cable. Im getting 3 mpbs download and upload basically the same.

this is so weird because normally i get about 90 mbps upload and download on wifi, how is this possible and how can i fix it? 

thanks!

3 minutes ago, Saksham said:

what is your link speed?

you mean my wifi connection? download: 82 mbp/s upload: 86 mbp/s

there should be soemthing like this in your adapter status window. keep in mind that this is the speed of the connection between you and the router (not actual internet speed)

image.png.0c04962c6168ace12238dfa79b5057b1.png

oh how do i get there? Im only connected to wifi via my ipad and phone ... my pc doesnt have wifi lol

control panel, network and sharing center, change adapter settings, right click ethernet adapter, status

yea there is a problem with your ethernet adapter or a problem in cable length or problem in university routers... or actually, its just more people trying to use the internet at the university?

so weird tho, can it be the cable that is limited? its a kinda long cable but how would that limited the speed?

2 minutes ago, Achilles said:

so weird tho, can it be the cable that is limited? its a kinda long cable but how would that limited the speed?

how long is it? because the signal *will* degrade over distance. under 20meters should be fine tho

3 minutes ago, Saksham said:

how long is it? because the signal *will* degrade over distance. under 20meters should be fine tho

You can run CAT5e upto 300 meters or 100 freedom units. At my one church (which doubles as a school) there's loads of cabling running at those lengths, and with a good ISP and good hardware, we have very fast connection speeds. We don't have any signs of signal degrade.

To the OP can you find out if anyone else has this issue? If not, then it would be on your end. Your adapter settings may need to be optimized. Instead of auto negotiation, we may have to set it to something like 100mbs full duplex. So maybe try control panel, network and sharing center, change adapter settings, right click Ethernet adapter, click properties, then click configure, then go to the advance tab, now look for "Speed & Duplex" and change it to 100mbs full duplex, then hit okay and now try a speed test. Do you know if your connection is gigabit or 100mbs to the router? If you learn that it's gigabit, then you'll want to select 1gbs full duplex.

8 minutes ago, Achilles said:

its like 1.5 meters

definitely other factors. also is the cable atleast cat5?

1 minute ago, TempestCatto said:

we may have to set it to something like 100mbs full duplex

you almost never have to do this manually. should be auto imo

1 minute ago, Saksham said:

you almost never have to do this manually. should be auto imo

Key word being "almost" it's worth a shot. I've had to do it before.

8 minutes ago, TempestCatto said:

You can run CAT5e upto 300 meters or 100 freedom units. At my one church (which doubles as a school) there's loads of cabling running at those lengths, and with a good ISP and good hardware, we have very fast connection speeds. We don't have any signs of signal degrade.

To the OP can you find out if anyone else has this issue? If not, then it would be on your end. Your adapter settings may need to be optimized. Instead of auto negotiation, we may have to set it to something like 100mbs full duplex. So maybe try control panel, network and sharing center, change adapter settings, right click Ethernet adapter, click properties, then click configure, then go to the advance tab, now look for "Speed & Duplex" and change it to 100mbs full duplex, then hit okay and now try a speed test. Do you know if your connection is gigabit or 100mbs to the router? If you learn that it's gigabit, then you'll want to select 1gbs full duplex.

It disconnected me from the internet :/

Worth a shot.

Do you have the option for 1gb? If so, try it. Also can you ask around and see if anyone else has this issue?

5 minutes ago, TempestCatto said:

Worth a shot.

Do you have the option for 1gb? If so, try it. Also can you ask around and see if anyone else has this issue?

nobody else has and nope, max is 100 mb

2 minutes ago, Achilles said:

nobody else has and nope, max is 100 mb

Alright, then set it back to atuo. Have you tried updating your Ethernet drivers? Should be on the website if your motherboard manufacture, or if you have a prebuilt, it would be on their support page (you'd have to search for your model).

Just now, TempestCatto said:

Alright, then set it back to atuo. Have you tried updating your Ethernet drivers? Should be on the website if your motherboard manufacture, or if you have a prebuilt, it would be on their support page (you'd have to search for your model).

ahh that might be it, ill look into that and ill let you know

Honestly if its connecting at 10Mbit I'd suspect the cable is faulty with a small chance that the ethernet adapter is.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

just rebooted after updating drivers, its now at 9 mbp/s

4 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

Honestly if its connecting at 10Mbit I'd suspect the cable is faulty with a small chance that the ethernet adapter is.

could be, im contacting the IT department but they will probabaly answer me monday :/