Custom Gaming Rig running lagging at 30fps

Darth_Vaepor
Go to solution Solved by k.m.p,

check msi afterburner, in the settings you can enable it to monitor tempureture and usage of cpu (including induvidual cores), gpu and memory, see which part is running at 100% or closest and that's likely the problem.

Its most likely your cpu is the culprit

So this is a somewhat complicated tech question. I'm a electronics troubleshooter by trade dealing with both hardware and software, fixing and replacing parts or programs as needed. However, there is one thing I can't figure out. I built a custom gaming tower a few years ago and its been working great. (specs below) but lately I've been having issues with most of my games clocking around 30fps with constant lag spikes and quality drops. I play games like 7 days to die, skyrim, and Rocket League. All with the same issue. I looked at my heat, and even under stressed loads in access of 3 hours, heat stays around 60 Celsius. I checked my hardware health and everything seems to be in order. I even ran several benchmarks and passed with flying colors. Nothing seems to point to an issue. Does anyone know of a detailed diagnostics tool (preferably cheap or free) that I can use to check the health of my ram, cpu, and graphics card? Are there any other places I should check for issues? Thank you to everyone who stops by and comments.

My biggest fear is buying my new motherboard and processor only to find out my graphics card is shot so I want to figure this out before I do my next upgrade.

Monitor

PG278Q Republic of Gamers Monitor at 2560x1440 @144fps - For some reason windows only recognizes it as a generic monitor now. Something about a screwy windows 10 update

Internals

GTX 1080 8gb graphics card

Sabertooth 990fx Motherboard with socketed AMD Fx 8150 Eight Core Processor

32Gb ram ddr3 @1600MHz on a dimm form factor

1000W power supply

Water cooling system, 6 125mm fans and 2 200mm fans with fan controllers

Storage

Apple SSD 128gb

Kingston SSD 120Gb

Toshiba SSD 120Gb

1 Terabyte Toshiba hard drive (when I re-installed windows I installed to this to see if it was my disk that was the issue. It was on the below)

240Gb SSDHD M.2 (20Gb Dedicated Readyboost)

I regularly clean my PC, check that everything is in working order, and some would argue I have a lot of unneeded cooling but I plan to expand this rig so I picked up what I needed early.

3 minutes ago, Thor69 said:

You could try a different graphics card

Ok...? so first off why would I want a different graphics card? I mean I have a 1080, thats pretty dang good. If your talking about replacing with a known good, I unfortunately don't have oodles of cash to go buy a graphics card that would get the same level of game play just for testing purposes...

check msi afterburner, in the settings you can enable it to monitor tempureture and usage of cpu (including induvidual cores), gpu and memory, see which part is running at 100% or closest and that's likely the problem.

14 minutes ago, k.m.p said:

So I do use afterburner but I forgot system monitoring was a thing it comes with. I took a look at it running the same game I've been having the most issues with. The CPU looks fine, hitting a max of about 60% load even with max settings and terrain generation and such. However I fear the worst now, because my GPU is hitting 90+ % doing this. I'm not entirely sure how my GPU could have gotten fried but I suppose its possible. Although it is typical for a gpu to max out under stress. I don't see anything bouncing all that much either.... Do you happen to know of a health check tool for the GPU? I'd bring it into the local repair place but last time they completely screwed up my stuff. Deleted all my personal data, installed windows on the wrong drive, even forgot to plug the fans back in. So I'm pretty much on my own.

For the sake of consistency, I am noticing some unusual spikes in my CPU cores, but nothing above 80-90%. Luckily the first replacement item I was planning for was a new 8500 series, with a new motherboard and ram. Even so, I'm not as familiar with CPU component workings. I unfortunately am very stubborn when it comes to this kind of stuff and want to find concrete evidence of its failure before I chuck it in the bin. Especially when the motherboard and cpu still sell well lol.

50 minutes ago, Darth_Vaepor said:

So I do use afterburner but I forgot system monitoring was a thing it comes with. I took a look at it running the same game I've been having the most issues with. The CPU looks fine, hitting a max of about 60% load even with max settings and terrain generation and such. However I fear the worst now, because my GPU is hitting 90+ % doing this. I'm not entirely sure how my GPU could have gotten fried but I suppose its possible. Although it is typical for a gpu to max out under stress. I don't see anything bouncing all that much either.... Do you happen to know of a health check tool for the GPU? I'd bring it into the local repair place but last time they completely screwed up my stuff. Deleted all my personal data, installed windows on the wrong drive, even forgot to plug the fans back in. So I'm pretty much on my own.

The 1080 should not have any issues like this. GPU health is based on the loss of performance and/or artifacting. The Fx 8150 was released way back in October 2011. All signs point to bottlenecking. Plus your on AM3. its about time you considered upgrading to AM4. I would personally just skip am3+ altogether considering you have a 1080.

CPU: Pentium G3258 @ 3.2GHz || GPU:(first release,used) MSI R9 270 OC || Motherboard:MSI Z97-G45 Gaming Motherboard || RAM: 8 GB G.Skill Sniper 1600 || Monitors: Vizio 22 in Ultra slim 1080p TV || Storage: Seagate barracuda 160 GB 7200RPM,(REFURB) 1TB toshiba 7200RPM || PSU: (stripped from 2013 CAD PC)Corsair CX600 build was under $420

BE SURE TO FOLLOW YOUR THREADS! READ THIS BEFORE POSTING IN TROUBLESHOOTING!! http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/40334-read-before-asking-for-help/

49 minutes ago, Darth_Vaepor said:

For the sake of consistency, I am noticing some unusual spikes in my CPU cores, but nothing above 80-90%. Luckily the first replacement item I was planning for was a new 8500 series, with a new motherboard and ram. Even so, I'm not as familiar with CPU component workings. I unfortunately am very stubborn when it comes to this kind of stuff and want to find concrete evidence of its failure before I chuck it in the bin. Especially when the motherboard and cpu still sell well lol.

sorry for the late reply, a gtx 1080 should never be at that kinda usage at 1440p 30fps at those settings, you may want to send it for an rma, the lagging/stuttering may be related to the cpu since you did mention spikes.

Upgrading to a non ryzen amd cpu is pointless, either wait for 7nm amd cpu's or buy current gen ryzen.

Which brand is your gtx 1080?

1 minute ago, k.m.p said:

sorry for the late reply, a gtx 1080 should never be at that kinda usage at 1440p 30fps at those settings, you may want to send it for an rma, the lagging/stuttering may be related to the cpu since you did mention spikes.

Upgrading to a non ryzen amd cpu is pointless, either wait for 7nm amd cpu's or buy current gen ryzen.

Which brand is your gtx 1080?

Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080

and to both K.M.P and G33k 4 L1F3. Thank you so much for the assist. I do want to point out though geek that the throttling is a recent problem. I've been able to play skyrim and other games at max settings at 144fps. It's only recently I've seen dips and spikes. Which pointed me to a hardware issue. If I replaced the motherboard and CPU what would yall recommend. Hopefully something that doesnt cost an arm and a leg lol. 

16 minutes ago, Darth_Vaepor said:

Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080

and to both K.M.P and G33k 4 L1F3. Thank you so much for the assist. I do want to point out though geek that the throttling is a recent problem. I've been able to play skyrim and other games at max settings at 144fps. It's only recently I've seen dips and spikes. Which pointed me to a hardware issue. If I replaced the motherboard and CPU what would yall recommend. Hopefully something that doesnt cost an arm and a leg lol. 

how much money are you willing to spend?

a ryzen 2600 is the best value cpu on the market, 

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant
Type Item Price
CPU AMD - Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor $164.99 @ Newegg
Motherboard MSI - B450 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4 Motherboard $114.57 @ Newegg
Memory Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory $114.99 @ Amazon
  Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts  
  Total $394.55
  Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-01-24 10:18 EST-0500  

and with a decent motherboard and 16gb of ddr4 it should cost you under 400

7 minutes ago, k.m.p said:

how much money are you willing to spend?

a ryzen 2600 is the best value cpu on the market, 

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant
Type Item Price
CPU AMD - Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor $164.99 @ Newegg
Motherboard MSI - B450 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4 Motherboard $114.57 @ Newegg
Memory Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory $114.99 @ Amazon
  Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts  
  Total $394.55
  Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-01-24 10:18 EST-0500  

and with a decent motherboard and 16gb of ddr4 it should cost you under 400

thats actually a pretty dang good line up for the price. I was looking at the 8 core ryzen and that motherboard was on my list already. :D

I just confirmed (using a friends spare parts) that my CPU is starting to fail and so is my ram. So I guess I'll be doing that upgrade a little earlier than expected. Special thanks to those who left helpful comments!