Turning off integrated video on an intel cpu

Whilst looking through the bios i found a setting where you could turn off the hd intel video. Now im not going to do this just incase my gpu ever decides to stop working but if you turned it off would it reduce temps in any way or provide any sort of benefit?

CPU: i5 4670k with Noctua C12P-SE14 GPU: Gigabyte GTX 770 SSD: 250gb Samsung EVO MOBO: MSI Z87-G43 RAM: 8GB G-Skill 1600mhz PSU: Antec HCG 620W CASE: Corsair 300R windowed 

not really if you stop using it, it should just be idle all the time so it might increase temps but not but a factor you would notice.

Current Build : 

CASE: Fractal Design R4 w/Window CPU: Intel 4930K,  RAM: 16GB Ripjaws Z 2133Mhz  Cooling: H100i  MotherBoard: Asus P9x79 Pro , PSU: CS750M   Storage: 2x Samsung 840 Pro 256Gb , 1Tb Seagate Barracuda, 500GB WD Black,  Graphics: Gigabyte GTX 780 Windforce 3GB,  Monitors: AOC G2460PG ( G sync monitor), Edge10 24" 1080p , 24" 1680*1020p monitor ( LCD)  Microphone: Blue Yeti  Keyboard: Cougar 700k  Phone: Samsung Note 3  Headphones: Sennheiser HD598

Laptop:

CPU: 
4710MQ  Ram: 8GB 1600MHz Storage:120Gb 840 Evo + 1Tb 5400Rpm HDD  Graphics: GTX 850M 2GB   Screen: 1080p IPS  

not really if you stop using it, it should just be idle all the time so it might increase temps but not but a factor you would notice.

mm thats what i was thinking or maybe when you use a discrete gpu it recognizes and disables it or something

CPU: i5 4670k with Noctua C12P-SE14 GPU: Gigabyte GTX 770 SSD: 250gb Samsung EVO MOBO: MSI Z87-G43 RAM: 8GB G-Skill 1600mhz PSU: Antec HCG 620W CASE: Corsair 300R windowed 

If you do turn it off and your main GPU dies then you can always turn it back on. If for whatever reason you can't get video output at all because it just doesn't turn on the iGPU instead of waiting until it doesn't see the dedicated GPU then just do a CMOS flash to reset the bios to default settings and you'll be set.

My rig: 2600k(4.2 GHz) w/ Cooler Master hyper 212+, Gigabyte Z68-UD3H-B3, Powercolor 7870 xt(1100/1500) w/AIO mod,

8GB DDR3 1600, 120GB Kingston HyperX 3K SSD, 1TB Seagate, Antec earthwatts 430, NZXT H2

Verified max overclock, just for kicks: http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2609399

on my system, when I have the integrated gpu on, my comp takes significantly longer to start up.  I'm talking 3-4x longer.  Idk if its my specific system, a Gigabyte thing, or maybe a Win 8.1 thing...   It started up fine when I didn't have a gfx card in and was actually using the integrated gpu, just with a discrete card and integrated gpu on.

HP something | 5600X | Corsair  16GB | Zotac ArcticStorm GTX 1080 Ti | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | OCZ Agility 3 480GB | ADATA SP550 960 GB

Corsair AX860i | CaseLabs SM8 | EK Supremacy | UT60 420 | ST30 360 | ST30 240

Gentle Typhoon's and Noctua's and Noiseblocker eLoop's

The iGPU is turned off automatically when you're not using it. So no need to touch this bios setting. I guess, if you select disbabled, it will prevent the iGPU from working no matter what. So no need for that I think.

The iGPU is turned off automatically when you're not using it. So no need to touch this bios setting. I guess, if you select disbabled, it will prevent the iGPU from working no matter what. So no need for that I think.

thats not true.  It wasn't on my Gigabyte board.  Seeing as the OP also has a Gigabyte it may also be the case for him

HP something | 5600X | Corsair  16GB | Zotac ArcticStorm GTX 1080 Ti | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | OCZ Agility 3 480GB | ADATA SP550 960 GB

thats not true. It wasn't on my Gigabyte board. Seeing as the OP also has a Gigabyte it may also be the case for him

Well, that's what I've been told by the Intel support themselves. So I doubt this would be untrue. What suggested you that your igpu isn't off when no display cable is plugged to your motherboard?

Well, that's what I've been told by the Intel support themselves. So I doubt this would be untrue. What suggested you that your igpu isn't off when no display cable is plugged to your motherboard?

the iGPU was showing up as an option in GPU-Z which prompted me to check the setting in the BIOS and it was turned on.  I turned it off and my PC started booting faster and the option went away in GPU-Z.  Then I reset the BIOS to defaults just to see if that was really the case, and that turned on the iGPU again.

the iGPU was showing up as an option in GPU-Z which prompted me to check the setting in the BIOS and it was turned on. I turned it off and my PC started booting faster and the option went away in GPU-Z. Then I reset the BIOS to defaults just to see if that was really the case, and that turned on the iGPU again.

Are you using virtual mvp technology or do you have any special intel igpu openCL drivers installed?

Are you using virtual mvp technology or do you have any special intel igpu openCL drivers installed?

nope

nope

Looks like you're right then. Gigabyte boards seem different from the rest.

If your GPU stops working the generic graphics accelerator will kick in at very terrible resolution but it will kick in....at least on Nvidia's GPUs. You can turn it off if you want but it does not reduce temperatures though.

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.

You can always clear the CMOS the restore that setting to stock (ie re-enabling it).

Intel i5 6600k~Asus Maximus VIII Hero~G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 8GB DDR4-3200 CL-16~Sapphire Radeon R9 Fury Tri-X~Phanteks Enthoo Pro M~Sandisk Extreme Pro 480GB~SeaSonic Snow Silent 750~BenQ XL2730Z QHD 144Hz FreeSync~Cooler Master Seidon 240M~Varmilo VA87M (Cherry MX Brown)~Corsair Vengeance M95~Oppo PM-3~Windows 10 Pro~http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ynmBnQ