Zen 2 multi dies

what do you think  

8 members have voted

1. 1. what do you think is going to happen

• cost saving without a performance deficit
    • cost saving with a performance deficit
    • not for cost saving but adds thermal performance
    • AMD why did you do this its literally all negatives
    • other: (please comment what you think)

I'd like to start a little friendly discussion over what you think is going on with zen 2 dies

Imao: I believe its a cost-saving measure with no real performance deficit because to make an r7 with 12c/24t they just have to make 2 r3 6c/12t dies and slap em on the same chip and the same with r9 if wccftech (and a handful of other leakers) are to be believed: https://wccftech.com/amd-ryzen-3000-specs-prices-leaked-upto-16-cores-5-1ghz-on-am4/

I do have a video on this on a little youtube video I posted a couple weeks ago but id only recommend this if you are truly curious of what I think, in other words, it is terrible quality: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IP6jM2Fh7go

7 minutes ago, Jacket_spice said:

12c/32t

math

aorus pro z390

noctua nh-d15s chromax w black cover

evga 3070 ultra

samsung 128gb, adata swordfish 1tb, wd blue 1tb

seasonic 620w dogballs psu

The only "performance deficit" would come from too much heat on one package, but even then these designs are being touted as very efficient so I doubt that's even an issue.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

20 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

The only "performance deficit" would come from too much heat on one package, but even then these designs are being touted as very efficient so I doubt that's even an issue.

I know but this was just to see what you guys thought

I personly don't think it would be but its whatever

21 minutes ago, mxk. said:

math

yeah, I was thinking about the r9 and typing about the r7 at the same time so...

This is basically what's going on in Intel & AMD HQ. 

Screenshot 2019-01-20 at 21.31.56.png

Main Machine:  16 inch MacBook Pro (2021), Apple M1 Pro (10 CPU, 16 GPU Core), 512GB SDD, 16GB RAM

Gaming Machine:  Acer Nitro 5, Core i7 10750H, RTX 3060 (L) 6GB, 1TB SSD (Boot), 2TB SSD (Storage), 32GB DDR4 RAM

Other Tech: iPhone 15 Pro Max, Series 6 Apple Watch (LTE), AirPods Max, PS4, Nintendo Switch, PS3, Xbox 360

Network Gear:  TP Link Gigabit 24 Port Switch, TP-Link Deco M4 Mesh Wi-Fi, M1 MacMini File & Media Server with 8TB of RAID 1 Storage

i mean overall latency is down according to AMD. so we will have to wait and see. 

the multidie is mostly a cost saving but also the way to go in terms of increased core counts. 

16 minutes ago, Jacket_spice said:

and a handful of other leakers

essentially AdoredTV who seems to have acquired a very good source/sources.

atm Zen 2 is allready very good though final product is some stretch away. 16 cores is likely. and for those afraid of memmory bandwhidt, the 2990wx bug being explained have pretty much thrown that out of the window

11 minutes ago, Sousuke said:

This is basically what's going on in Intel & AMD HQ. 

except for Intel didn't catch on fast enough and it's actually working for AMD

10 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

i mean overall latency is down according to AMD. so we will have to wait and see. 

the multidie is mostly a cost saving but also the way to go in terms of increased core counts. 

essentially AdoredTV who seems to have acquired a very good source/sources.

atm Zen 2 is allready very good though final product is some stretch away. 16 cores is likely. and for those afraid of memmory bandwhidt, the 2990wx bug being explained have pretty much thrown that out of the window

I know it didn't originally come from wccftech but they presented it well and I think it going to be much better than deactivating SMS to get lower end parts

3 minutes ago, Jacket_spice said:

except for Intel didn't catch on fast enough and it's actually working for AMD

Both Intel's and AMD's high end mainstream CPUs have 8c/16t (the 9900K and 2700x). I don't see how Intel hasn't caught up.

CPU: Intel Core i7-950 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R CPU Cooler: NZXT HAVIK 140 RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 (1x2GB), Crucial DDR3-1600 (2x4GB), Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 (1x4GB) GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 DirectCU II 2GB SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" 1TB HDDs: WD Green 3.5" 1TB, WD Blue 3.5" 1TB PSU: Corsair AX860i & CableMod ModFlex Cables Case: Fractal Design Meshify C TG (White) Fans: 2x Dynamic X2 GP-12 Monitors: LG 24GL600F, Samsung S24D390 Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Mouse Pad: Steelseries QcK Audio: Bose SoundSport In-Ear Headphones

1 minute ago, Jacket_spice said:

deactivating SMS

deactivating what now?

I know it didn't originally come from wccftech

a lot of the recent AMD news have originated from AdoredTV aswell as Nvidia News. anything Zen and AMD related is likely to come from him. Mostly because he has proven to leakers that he is a reliable person to leak to and he has allready aquired quite a few people leaking to him. sadly he doesnt have that many sources within Intel, or Intel doesnt have much to show. 

Just now, Geography said:

Both Intel's and AMD's high end mainstream CPUs have 8c/16t (the 9900K and 2700x). I don't see how Intel hasn't caught up.

while you are right about current high-end amd released zen plus in response to 8th gen intel zen2 is in response to 9th gen intel sooooo yes but no but also yes

1 minute ago, Geography said:

the 9900k is a "meh" part due to pricing. its a good CPU, but nothing remarkable due to the sudden price jump. the fact Intel is playing catchup is telling in what situation they are in. 

also "mainstream". at that pricepoint you can also Label TR4 as mainstream......

what they havent caught up in is architecturally. Intel has started a game they cant win atm. and that is a game of cores, cores and more cores. 

1 minute ago, GoldenLag said:

deactivating what now?

a lot of the recent AMD news have originated from AdoredTV aswell as Nvidia News. anything Zen and AMD related is likely to come from him. Mostly because he has proven to leakers that he is a reliable person to leak to and he has allready aquired quite a few people leaking to him. sadly he doesnt have that many sources within Intel, or Intel doesnt have much to show. 

sorry it corrected the plural abbreviation of surface mounts (which kinda sorta link cores together) to SMS

and also yes I understand that like I said I like how they presented it

sorry it corrected the plural abbreviation of surface mounts (which kinda sorta link cores together) to SMS

You mean the IF between the CCXs?

14 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

the 9900k is a "meh" part due to pricing. its a good CPU, but nothing remarkable due to the sudden price jump. the fact Intel is playing catchup is telling in what situation they are in. 

also "mainstream". at that pricepoint you can also Label TR4 as mainstream......

what they havent caught up in is architecturally. Intel has started a game they cant win atm. and that is a game of cores, cores and more cores. 

true especially since (for all its really worth) amd did bring bulldozer with the first 8 core consumer chip and for all those people who hate the battle of cores and wantonly and purely higher frequency try doing 75% of workstation ish tasks with a high frequency low core count CPU it is useful to some of us

10 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

You mean the IF between the CCXs?

yes but sm is kinda the more lamens term and more commonly used with GPUs which I tend to pay slightly more attention to

9 minutes ago, Jacket_spice said:

true especially since (for all its really worth) amd did bring bulldozer with the first 8 core consumer chip

"Cores". Depending on how you count and who you ask. It only had 4 cores and 8 execution units

1 minute ago, GoldenLag said:

"Cores". Depending on how you count and who you ask. It only had 4 cores and 8 execution units

yeah, ill take that plus it ran super hot for very little performance what was it 185w tdp?

15 minutes ago, Jacket_spice said:

yeah, ill take that plus it ran super hot for very little performance what was it 185w tdp?

Well, at least they arent "lying" about the TDP. 

Though intel is taking the TDP crown with some 14 core skylake X part being rumoured. And i think that was 255 watts intel TDP

42 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

Well, at least they arent "lying" about the TDP. 

Though intel is taking the TDP crown with some 14 core skylake X part being rumoured. And i think that was 255 watts intel TDP

yes but if Intel was marketing bulldozer it would have been 95w tdp