can signs of static damage be identified?

PCproverbial
16 hours ago, syn2112 said:

high voltage with not enough current to back it up is not gonna do anything

It still carries a lot of energy, even for a split moment. I found the amount of energy to potentially cause damage is very low, something on the order of 100-200 mJ.

Or to put in another way from xkcd's writer: " If it's going fast enough, a feather can absolutely knock you over. "

11 hours ago, Godlygamer23 said:

If you're generating a charge from movement, then it would immediately discharge to anything conductive enough, which would be the motherboard in this instance.

I'm not sure what your point is. 

You need a potential difference for that to happen. While it is being carried around the board is at the same potential as the carrier and so no discharge can take place. Pretty basic electrical / electronic theory really.

" If it's going fast enough, a feather can absolutely knock you over. "

Especially if an emu is attached to it :D

AWOL

10 minutes ago, X_X said:

You need a potential difference for that to happen. While it is being carried around the board is at the same potential as the carrier and so no discharge can take place. Pretty basic electrical / electronic theory really.

I get that, but you do have a difference as I stated. 

You're generating energy from movement. You are no longer at the same potential for a moment of time. Because you're holding something at least somewhat conductive, it's instantly discharged, thus the board is having additional energy being applied. So whatever you have stored in your person at the time of generating static electricity is now discharged to the board, and if you're continuously walking around, you are continuously adding energy.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch