Personal WiFi (I guess).

DISCLAIMER: I'm relatively new to Networking. I'm more than willing to learn, but I don't know much of anything as of the original draft of this Topic.

I'm looking to set up an entirely new WiFi access point in my room from the one out service provider, AT&T, has installed. Reason being that, with AT&T, the WiFi's range is extremely shotty at best.

I know, I could just add a better router to the modem-router combo the service provider installed, but I'm a broke off campus college student and I can't afford a decent one, and making things worse, no one else in my household would like to contribute. So, I'll be petty and just make another access point right in my room, with perfect range, so no one can access it (if possible).

My room's fully equipped with a COAX outlet and the one jack that looks like Ethernet but isn't. The ones people used to plug the phones into.

I do work part time, but I wouldn't like to pour more than $180 into this, even though it'd be a business investment, since I do some online classes.

Thank you in advanced to anyone that comments on this. Actually, thank you to anyone who reads all of this.

Sincerely,

Lolonation

Broke College Student.

Get a longer range router, probably can get one for or at $100

Or a range extender that costs usually around$30

CPU:R9 3900x@4.5Ghz RAM:Vengeance Pro LPX @ 3200mhz MOBO:MSI Tomohawk B350 GPU:PNY GTX 1080 XLR8

DRIVES:500GB Samsung 970 Pro + Patriot Blast 480GB x2 + 12tb RAID10 NAS

MONITORS:Pixio PX329 32inch 1440p 165hz, LG 34UM68-p 1080p 75hz

1 hour ago, Lolonation said:

DISCLAIMER: I'm relatively new to Networking. I'm more than willing to learn, but I don't know much of anything as of the original draft of this Topic.

I'm looking to set up an entirely new WiFi access point in my room from the one out service provider, AT&T, has installed. Reason being that, with AT&T, the WiFi's range is extremely shotty at best.

I know, I could just add a better router to the modem-router combo the service provider installed, but I'm a broke off campus college student and I can't afford a decent one, and making things worse, no one else in my household would like to contribute. So, I'll be petty and just make another access point right in my room, with perfect range, so no one can access it (if possible).

My room's fully equipped with a COAX outlet and the one jack that looks like Ethernet but isn't. The ones people used to plug the phones into.

I do work part time, but I wouldn't like to pour more than $180 into this, even though it'd be a business investment, since I do some online classes.

Thank you in advanced to anyone that comments on this. Actually, thank you to anyone who reads all of this.

Sincerely,

Lolonation

Broke College Student.

$50,000 in debt to the government for student loans myself so I know how you feel. You may be able to use the coax with Moca adapters to get internet to your room as long as you have coax near the modem/router from AT&T. I think I remember seeing this https://www.amazon.com/Actiontec-802-11ac-Extender-Internet-Antennas/dp/B01BV1Y3W2/ref=sr_1_13?hvadid=153632560265&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=9016899&hvnetw=g&hvpos=1t2&hvqmt=e&hvrand=5359040631795134163&hvtargid=kwd-12731363693&ie=UTF8&keywords=moca+adapter&qid=1547936630&sr=8-13&tag=googhydr-20

Which is a moca adapter with 2 Ethernet and WiFi built in. The issue is, its $150 on its own and you still need an adapter to connect to the router. A pair of standard Moca adapters are around $160, these would not offer WiFI but would offer Ethernet. Another option are power line adapters and there are some with WiFi built in as well. Not sure on costs, but they are a lesser good solution. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

I hate to be the party-pooper, but if you're complaining about range an access point (AP) gives you, it's not going to be solved by the next gen RGB - had big antennae - router. All it emits is a norm of 100milliWatts (keeping it simple) wich is forced upon us by government standards all around the world. 

You need to look into mesh WiFi and it's not as simple as replacing the AT&T AP...

2 hours ago, Belgiangurista said:

I hate to be the party-pooper, but if you're complaining about range an access point (AP) gives you, it's not going to be solved by the next gen RGB - had big antennae - router. All it emits is a norm of 100milliWatts (keeping it simple) wich is forced upon us by government standards all around the world. 

You need to look into mesh WiFi and it's not as simple as replacing the AT&T AP...

Lol my good friend you've greatly got it wrong. I live in a 3 story house with 7 other individuals who are CONSTANTLY on the internet. Every single once of them has at least 2 devices connected at all times, and that's without talking about the devices like smart TV's and WIFI speakers which are also connected. And EVERY SINGLE ONE is connected to the 2.5GHZ bandwidth which is already cluttered. So bandwidth is basically nonexistent in my house. My idea was connect my two devices (iPhone XS MAX and Lenovo X1) to the 5GHZ bandwidth with a router right in my room so I don't have to worry about range and keep all the connectivity to me. Selfish but ??‍♂️??‍♂️.

There's more than one answer to anything.

2 hours ago, Donut417 said:

$50,000 in debt to the government for student loans myself so I know how you feel. You may be able to use the coax with Moca adapters to get internet to your room as long as you have coax near the modem/router from AT&T. I think I remember seeing this https://www.amazon.com/Actiontec-802-11ac-Extender-Internet-Antennas/dp/B01BV1Y3W2/ref=sr_1_13?hvadid=153632560265&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=9016899&hvnetw=g&hvpos=1t2&hvqmt=e&hvrand=5359040631795134163&hvtargid=kwd-12731363693&ie=UTF8&keywords=moca+adapter&qid=1547936630&sr=8-13&tag=googhydr-20

Which is a moca adapter with 2 Ethernet and WiFi built in. The issue is, its $150 on its own and you still need an adapter to connect to the router. A pair of standard Moca adapters are around $160, these would not offer WiFI but would offer Ethernet. Another option are power line adapters and there are some with WiFi built in as well. Not sure on costs, but they are a lesser good solution. 

Thank you thank you. I have an idea that I don't think will work but maybe. If I have an access point connected to that Power Line Adapter, just straight up, could I configure it to work? I don't need 10 gigabit internet or anything just enough to do online timed tests without having to wait on the next page to load while the internet eats into the time for me to finish that test (true story) and binge Netflix shows afterwards 

Just now, Lolonation said:

Thank you thank you. I have an idea that I don't think will work but maybe. If I have an access point connected to that Power Line Adapter, just straight up, could I configure it to work? I don't need 10 gigabit internet or anything just enough to do online timed tests without having to wait on the next page to load while the internet eats into the time for me to finish that test (true story) and binge Netflix shows afterwards 

Yeah it would work. But the link between the two power line adapters might be slow. Ive seen people get 1 Mbps to over 100 Mbps on power line. But the issue is if you dont have newer wiring, or the wire runs are too long, or the two adapters are on two separate circuits which yours probably will be, the speeds will be slower. You wont know how well powerline will do until you try however. Moca generally is a better solution because it can reach speeds of 400-800+ Mbps in the real world. Though there are a few caveats with moca as well. Firstly it does better on newer RG6 wiring but older wiring could work, the distance between the two adapters should not exceed 300 feet and if your sharing the coax with Cable/internet service you need to make sure you put a POE filter on the main cable line coming to your home from the cable company. To stop the moca signals from leaving your home. Though @Belgiangurista does have a fairly good suggestion as well. Mesh could potentially work. You will just have to weigh out all the options and figure out the best one for you. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

I have a NetGear Wifi extender AC1200 for 80 or so, works great. also has ethernet port if needed

Systems:

Main Gaming:                                                        Windows XP:

Ryzen 5 2600                                                               Intel Pentium 3

Asus RX 580 OC                                                     1GB DDR2

Patriot Viper DDR4 8GB                                         Asus Motherboard

Asus ROG B450-I                                                   Dell 300W

Corsair CX 450                                                       ATI Rage 128 Fury Pro

FreeNAS Server:                                                   Windows 98/95 duel boot:

I5 3400k                                                                  Pentium Pro

Patriot DDR3 8GB                                                  HP Vectra motherboard 

Gigabyte Ultra Durable                                           500MB RAM

Rosewill Glacier 600W                                           Soundblaster 16

Matrox Mystique

Random PC:                                                         

AMD Phenom x4 850                                          Key:

Kukete A78                                                          Motherboard

Kingston 4GB DDR3                                            Memory

Dell 500W                                                            Power Supply

Graphics Card

Other Gaming:                                                    Sound Card

Ryzen 5 2600                                                       Processor

Asus ROG Strix B350-F Gaming

MSI 1050 OC

Hyper-X 16GB DDR4

EVGA 750 B2

17 minutes ago, Levisallanon said:

If you can find the other side of the phone cable and it's close to where your router is you could use this cable. You have a Max of 100 mbit but it should be enough and stable.

Depending on the cable you could even get gigabit. It would need to have 8 conductors and twisted pairs. I have a 8 core telephone cable in the wall and it works for gigabit from the basement to upstairs.

My boring Github   /人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\