Need help with a RAM question

Currently using a Ramaxel Technology  DDR3 2x 4GB ram sticks, looking to upgrade my Ram to 16 or even 32 GB. Motherboard is LENOVO Version    9HKT47AUS Date    1/10/2012. Using a I5 2500 CPU. Wondering if I could do DDR 4 or stay with a DDR3 and then just bump it up to a Corsair or other brand ram with 2 or 4 sticks. I am not sure my current RAM will work with another manufacturer.

Your motherboard is not compatible with DDR4 so you will need to stay with DDR3 only. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

What is the system model name/number?

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

1 hour ago, brob said:

What is the system model name/number?

Its a home build

1 hour ago, Skiiwee29 said:

Your motherboard is not compatible with DDR4 so you will need to stay with DDR3 only. 

That was my thoughts, does it matter how much I add, also since it Intel can I keep my current 8 GB and then just add 16?

Just now, BalconySeats said:

That was my thoughts, does it matter how much I add, also since it Intel can I keep my current 8 GB and then just add 16?

Usually there is a limitation, and that is more CPU side than Motherboard side. You can mix and match with usually no problem, but its always guaranteed to work. (it does 99.99999% of the time) If you do mix and match, I would put the 16gb kit, if thats what you get, in the first channels used then the left over in the remaining to give you the maximum benefit you can from your configuration. 

Based on the official intel spec sheet for your CPU, it can support up to a maximum of 32gb. 

https://ark.intel.com/products/52209/Intel-Core-i5-2500-Processor-6M-Cache-up-to-3-70-GHz-

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

Just now, Skiiwee29 said:

Usually there is a limitation, and that is more CPU side than Motherboard side. You can mix and match with usually no problem, but its always guaranteed to work. (it does 99.99999% of the time) If you do mix and match, I would put the 16gb kit, if thats what you get, in the first channels used then the left over in the remaining to give you the maximum benefit you can from your configuration. 

Based on the official intel spec sheet for your CPU, it can support up to a maximum of 32gb. 

https://ark.intel.com/products/52209/Intel-Core-i5-2500-Processor-6M-Cache-up-to-3-70-GHz-

I'll do the reading, thanks for the help. I do have 4 slots I didn't want to waste the 8gb of ram just sitting on the shelf if I can use it to give my potato a bit of a boost.

4 minutes ago, BalconySeats said:

Google did not return any results for 9HKT47AUS. I believe the i5-2500 is limited to 4x8GB. You can usually mix memory modules from different manufacturers but there can be consequences of doing so. First, memory will always operate a the speed of the slowest module. Second, unmatched modules will likely not work in dual channel. 

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

1 minute ago, brob said:

Google did not return any results for 9HKT47AUS. I believe the i5-2500 is limited to 4x8GB. You can usually mix memory modules from different manufacturers but there can be consequences of doing so. First, memory will always operate a the speed of the slowest module. Second, unmatched modules will likely not work in dual channel. 

Manufacturer    LENOVO
Chipset Vendor    Intel
Chipset Model    Sandy Bridge
Chipset Revision    09
Southbridge Vendor    Intel
Southbridge Model    Q65
Southbridge Revision    B3

This is my MB info, best I give you