Typo In Category Label

Computernaut

The phones and tablets section has a typo in the little notation below the name. "Inbetween" is not a word, it is two, just like "a lot". Sorry but it annoys me every time I see it.

wrong.PNG

What is actually supposed to go here? Some people put their specs, others put random comments or remarks about themselves or others, and there are a few who put cryptic statements.

I always hated that it was "a lot" and "in between" rather than "alot" and "inbetween" because the latter makes much more sense to me when reading it aloud. Fuck the grammer police, ima write it mah way! There's alot of text inbetween the covers of a book.

3 hours ago, TempestCatto said:

There's alot of text inbetween the covers of a book.

Yes, there is. ;)

What is actually supposed to go here? Some people put their specs, others put random comments or remarks about themselves or others, and there are a few who put cryptic statements.

I remember when I brought up the lack of an Oxford comma in the Programs, Apps, and Websites category...

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

3 hours ago, TempestCatto said:

I always hated that it was "a lot" and "in between" rather than "alot" and "inbetween" because the latter makes much more sense to me when reading it aloud. Fuck the grammer police, ima write it mah way! There's alot of text inbetween the covers of a book.

But it makes for a good way to remember
Remember, there's always a space in between In, and between.
Quit being lazy

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

1 minute ago, TempestCatto said:

I think you mean broken (i kid)

What about the missing comma @Crunchy Dragon pointed out?

Oxford commas are, for phrases like "Programs, Apps and Websites", a stylistic choice, and my preference (as well as the preference of the person who set the title originally, though I can't remember if that was me) is not to use it there. That's not to say that it's fixed forever, but it isn't a bug and therefore isn't something that I want to change for no reason other than a couple of people who prefer it to be changed.

HTTP/2 203

1 minute ago, colonel_mortis said:

Oxford commas are, for phrases like "Programs, Apps and Websites", a stylistic choice, and my preference (as well as the preference of the person who set the title originally, though I can't remember if that was me) is not to use it there. That's not to say that it's fixed forever, but it isn't a bug and therefore isn't something that I want to change for no reason other than a couple of people who prefer it to be changed.

Fair point. But I would think, in this case, "Apps" are separate from "Websites" and the comma would be used to make that separation. Otherwise they appear as though they're the same. At least to me anyway, my English is bad so I don't really know better.

30 minutes ago, TempestCatto said:

Fair point. But I would think, in this case, "Apps" are separate from "Websites" and the comma would be used to make that separation. Otherwise they appear as though they're the same. At least to me anyway, my English is bad so I don't really know better.

2 things.

1: get out of my shed please.

2: That was my thinking as well. Sometimes it makes sense not to use the comma because you might not have to differentiate, or they might be similar, but Apps and Websites aren't similar enough to warrant that kind of thing.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

57 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

2 things.

1: get out of my shed please.

2: That was my thinking as well. Sometimes it makes sense not to use the comma because you might not have to differentiate, or they might be similar, but Apps and Websites aren't similar enough to warrant that kind of thing.

You put me in here, how do you expect me to get out of these bonds?

See, my thoughts exactly. Ah well, we still know what it means :D

What are you guys talking about? You don't put a comma after the penultimate noun unless you seriously have to, to avoid ambiguity...

image.png

4 hours ago, OnyxArmos said:

What are you guys talking about? You don't put a comma after the penultimate noun unless you seriously have to, to avoid ambiguity...

image.png

In English class (American school system here) we were taught the sentence "The doctor suggested an aspirin, half a grapefruit and a cup of broth." is wrong. We were taught that instead it should be "The doctor suggested an aspirin, half a grapefruit, and a cup of broth." I'm not gonna sit here and say which one is right or wrong. But honestly? The second one just makes more sense to me when reading it. A grapefruit and a cup of broth are two totally different things, and therefore should be separated as such. In fact, I remember in school being instructed that "if you have three or more items in a list like that, they need to be separated by a comma" (in the words of my 8th grade English teacher). So I'll be honest, I'm confused as fuck right now. I certainly would not put it past the American school system to have incorrect teachings, it's just what they do.