Need help identifying network card slot

Indow

Hey guys! I recently installed Mac OS on my HP laptop, it went really well and Mac OS is running smoothly on this laptop, except for a few things, Audio doesn't work, I've purchased a USB audio adapter and the wifi is not working, I'm planning to buy a wifi card that is compatible with Mac OS, found a few recommended network cards that are compatible with Mac OS, but I don't know if those recommended cards will fit on my laptop, does my laptop use mini PCIE or its a M.2 slot? The card shown on the picture doesn't fully fill the slot but it came standard with the laptop and it works.

Thank you in advance!

IMG_2810.JPG

IMG_2811.JPG

The card itself looks like mini PCI-e and the slot is indeed an M.2

Main PC:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | RAM:Corsair LPX 3200 mhz (16Gb) 

Mobo:ASUS Strix B550-F Wifi | GPU: MSI RTX 2070 Gaming Z

Case: Sharkoon Nightshark RGB| Storage: 500 GB 970 EVO Plus 1 TB WD blue 500 GB Samsung HDD

Monitor: iiyama G-Master G2470HSU-B1 165Hz

Powersupply: Be Quiet straight Power 10 500 watt

Main Laptop

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 4800H | RAM: Team group 16 GB 2666 mhz

GPU: RTX 2060 (MXM swappable)

Monitor: 1080p 120Hz

Storage: 2x 1 TB Samsung 970 EVO NVMe (no raid)

Second Laptop

CPU: Intel Core I5 1235u,  RAM: Samsung 8 GB 3200 mhz

GPU: IrisXe 80 eu

Storage: 512 GB WD Digital SN530 NVMe

Phone:

Xiaomi MI 11

Work Phone:

Galaxy A50

Hi Arjan, thanks for the reply, isn't it weird that the card is a mini PCI-e and the slot is a M.2? Does it really work like that? and is it backwards compatible aswell? M.2 cards in a mini PCI-e slot?

16 hours ago, Indow said:

Hi Arjan, thanks for the reply, isn't it weird that the card is a mini PCI-e and the slot is a M.2? Does it really work like that? and is it backwards compatible aswell? M.2 cards in a mini PCI-e slot?

I had this in an old HP Mobo, i wish you luck. HP does some very proprietary things with their hardware, it's possible that anything else you put in that slot will not be functional, make sure to save your receipts.

The USB3.0 on the same Mobo I had with that was even specially pinned so that no 3rd party front case connector would be functional.

The card can't possibly be mini PCI-e if the slot is M.2

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

I really hate M.2, all that having to work out if its USB, PCIe or both, combined with stupid vendor BIOS lockouts.

What happened to just looking at the slot and knowing anything that fits will work?

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

On 1/17/2019 at 5:57 PM, Indow said:

Not sure about the type of slot. But when I upgraded my sisters HP laptop with a new WiFi adapter I found a list of cards that would work with her computer on HP's website. It might be wise to look there first and see if you can find one. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

Thank you everyone for the replies! Unfortunately not all cards on HP's website is supported on macOS, I bought this card, hopefully this will fits and works!