Cpu upgrade question

I currently have a i5 4460 and a 980ti generally running games aren't a problem at 1920x1080 but recently my cpu hasn't been cutting it for some games Kingdom come deliverance assasin creed odyssey and some others. Im looking at a i7 4770k it's compatible with my motherboard and it seems to meet most standards is it worth it to upgrade or no? 

It depends what kind of price you're looking at.

What motherboard do you have?

Moved to CPUs, Motherboards, and Memory.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Asus - Z97-A ATX LGA1150 Motherboard and price wise ive seen that its 330 and up which is probably bout what im ready to spend

I have no idea why the letters are so damn big my apologys

I'd personally save some extra cash and change mobo, cpu and ram in one go; make the jump to coffee lake or, if it has been released, ryzen 3000.

To me, it feels like going to an i7 will be little more than a stopgap solution since all you'll be really gaining is HyperThreading and, at 330 bucks, it just doesn't seem worth the expense.

get a 4770k or 4790k

put a good cooler on it, overclock it and be happy again for a couple years

1 minute ago, LukeSavenije said:

get a 4770k or 4790k

put a good cooler on it, overclock it and be happy again for a couple years

You think that would last for awhile? that's all i want nothing crazy just something i can run games smoothly on again i really dont want to get a new motherboard 

19 minutes ago, Rauten said:

I'd personally save some extra cash and change mobo, cpu and ram in one go; make the jump to coffee lake or, if it has been released, ryzen 3000.

To me, it feels like going to an i7 will be little more than a stopgap solution since all you'll be really gaining is HyperThreading and, at 330 bucks, it just doesn't seem worth the expense.

i just want to play odessey and kingdom come smoothly again..lol

5 minutes ago, Zachg1993 said:

You think that would last for awhile? that's all i want nothing crazy just something i can run games smoothly on again i really dont want to get a new motherboard 

well... on overclock a second hand 4770k or 4790k can keep up in a lot of games with even a 1080ti/2080, and for about 100 for the chip and 30 dollars for a good cooler it's a pretty cheap upgrade too

Edited by LukeSavenije

I agree with Rauten, That you should save a little more and upgrade to a DDR4 platform and a cpu with at least 6 cores. More gaming titles these days are utilizing more cores.

Intel Core i7 9700F / Cooler Master 212 Evo / GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER / 16 GB G.SKILL RAM @ 2666MHz / GA-B365M-DS3H / EVGA 500w PSU

HP Pavilion Gaming 15 / Ryzen 5 4600H / GeForce GTX 1050 / 8 GB @ 3200MHz