New Threadripper Build - POST Error

FaultyWarrior

I just finished building my Threadripper workstation (specs in sig) - first boot attempt it cycles through all of the checks, and after it gets to HDD checks, it drops to POST Error Code 00 (or 0D?  Hard to tell - see pic) and goes nowhere.  A quick Google search suggests anything from power issues to a bad CPU; which isn't a great starting point...

FWIW, my board has one of those crappy Foxconn sockets...it gave me the typical screw 1 won't catch issue, but I realized that instead of forcing it like other have, I tightened screws 2 & 3 about half a turn, and that allowed screw 1 to seat fully and screw in fully with no effort.  I then tightened 2 and 3 fully without issues.

Board is an Asus Zenith Extreme X399...CPU is a 1950X...

I've re-seated the CPU/cooler/GPUs with the same result, as well as reset the CMOS.  I tried a bare minimum config, same result.

Anyone have any input, or should I start pursuing an RMA with AMD for a DOA CPU?

EDIT:

Updated thread after trying simple config and added a pic of the OLED readout.  It's hard to tell if the POST error code is 00 (zero zero) or 0D (zero delta).  See pic...opinions welcome.

IMG_20190115_220956.jpg

Edited by FaultyWarrior
Updated with error code and pic

"VictoryGin"

Case: Define R6-S, Black | PSU: Corsair RM1000x, Custom CableMod Cables | Mobo: Asus ROG Zenith Extreme X399 | CPU: Threadripper 1950X | Cooling: Enermax Liqtech TR4 360mm AIO with Noctua NF-F12's | RAM: 64GB (8x8GB) G.SKILL Flare X DDR4-2400 | GPUs: AMD Radeon Vega Frontier Edition; NVIDIA Quadro P400 | Storage: 3x Intel 760p 128GB NVMe RAID-0 | I/O Cards: Blackmagic Intensity Pro, Mellanox ConnectX-3 Pro EN 40GbE NIC, StarTech FireWire, StarTech Serial/Parallel  | Monitors: 3x 30” First Semi F301GD @ 2560x1600, 60Hz; 50" Avera 49EQX20 @ 3840x2160, 60 Hz | Keyboard: Black/Gray Unicomp Classic | Mouse: Logitech MX Master 2S | OS: Windows 10 Enterprise LTSB 2016

Any clues from the LEDs on the right hand side of the board (theres a different coloured LED for RAM, CPU, GPU etc that cycle through as it powers up)

Just built one of these with a 2950X, same issue with the socket but fortunately no POST issues.

Using the DIMM.2?

looks like 0D to me, a storage issue.
Have you removed all your storage and then tried to boot?

It's not a race to the bottom.

7 hours ago, BinaryShadow said:

Any clues from the LEDs on the right hand side of the board (theres a different coloured LED for RAM, CPU, GPU etc that cycle through as it powers up)

Just built one of these with a 2950X, same issue with the socket but fortunately no POST issues.

Using the DIMM.2?

I hadn't looked at the LEDs.  I'll take a look tonight.

I am using the DIMM.2.

7 hours ago, 0x1e said:

looks like 0D to me, a storage issue.
Have you removed all your storage and then tried to boot?

I removed the DIMM.2 and tried just the single SSD on the board itself - same result.  I didn't try the DIMM.2 and no SSD on the board though.

It occurred to me that because I have 2 GPUs, it might actually be POSTing, but sending video to the card with no monitor connected.  I don't think I had a monitor connected when I tried single GPU, since I (perhaps stupidly) presumed that the OLED readout would give me an indication of successful POST.

I'll try single GPU and various SSD configs when I get home from work tonight.

"VictoryGin"

Case: Define R6-S, Black | PSU: Corsair RM1000x, Custom CableMod Cables | Mobo: Asus ROG Zenith Extreme X399 | CPU: Threadripper 1950X | Cooling: Enermax Liqtech TR4 360mm AIO with Noctua NF-F12's | RAM: 64GB (8x8GB) G.SKILL Flare X DDR4-2400 | GPUs: AMD Radeon Vega Frontier Edition; NVIDIA Quadro P400 | Storage: 3x Intel 760p 128GB NVMe RAID-0 | I/O Cards: Blackmagic Intensity Pro, Mellanox ConnectX-3 Pro EN 40GbE NIC, StarTech FireWire, StarTech Serial/Parallel  | Monitors: 3x 30” First Semi F301GD @ 2560x1600, 60Hz; 50" Avera 49EQX20 @ 3840x2160, 60 Hz | Keyboard: Black/Gray Unicomp Classic | Mouse: Logitech MX Master 2S | OS: Windows 10 Enterprise LTSB 2016

OK, got the problem resolved.  The Vega card is apparently DOA.  The VGA LED would stay white, and the boot LED would go green, but nothing came up on my display.  I swapped the Vega for a random GTX 750Ti I had laying around and I got to UEFI with no problems.  Unfortunately one of the few parts I bought used was that Vega Frontier card, so hopefully the eBay seller will take it back.  If not, I guess I'm out $500 :(

"VictoryGin"