RTS recommendations?

IAmAndre

Hi,

I'm a huge Age of Empires fan but haven't been able to play AoE 3 for the past 2-3 years or so thanks to Microsoft's crappy servers. While AoE 2 still has an even more active community, I don't really like that iteration so I'm looking for an alternative.

Now I'd like to avoid nerdy games like Dota or LoL so the best equivalent I found is Company of Heroes 2. But this game is poorly optimized and can only run on my gaming desktop PC. Do you have any other recommendations? 

19 hours ago, IAmAndre said:

I'm a huge Age of Empires fan but haven't been able to play AoE 3 for the past 2-3 years or so thanks to Microsoft's crappy servers. While AoE still has an even more active community, I don't really like that iteration so I'm looking for an alternative.

Command and Conquer 2, maybe 3 and Red Alert, Warcraft 2 BNE.

Newer: StarCraft and StarCraft 2.

Ashes of the Singularity

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

2 hours ago, Richard Webster said:

I have a code for Ashes of the Singularity if it's your taste OP.

For free? I've really been wanting to try it out for a  while now. :)

Ryzen 1600x @4GHz

Asus GTX 1070 8GB @1900MHz

16 GB HyperX DDR4 @3000MHz

Asus Prime X370 Pro

Samsung 860 EVO 500GB

Noctua NH-U14S

Seasonic M12II 620W

+ four different mechanical drives.

3 hours ago, Stefan Payne said:

Command and Conquer 2, maybe 3 and Red Alert, Warcraft 2 BNE.

Newer: StarCraft and StarCraft 2.

Ashes of the Singularity

Thanks. The only one on the list I might like is StarCraft 2 since I've played StarCraft 1 as a kid and kinda liked it, but still preferred AoE.

3 hours ago, Richard Webster said:

I have a code for Ashes of the Singularity if it's your taste OP.

Just checked the review, not really my taste :( I'm more into resource management and history.

Yea it's a bit of a different game to AoE mate. Have you considered Rise of Nations? I love it and scratches my AoE itch. There's also Age of Mythology, Empire Earth, Warcraft 3, and Star Wars Galactic Battlegrounds (fun fact, it's basically AoE2 with a Star Wars skin).

4 hours ago, Richard Webster said:

Yea it's a bit of a different game to AoE mate. Have you considered Rise of Nations? I love it and scratches my AoE itch. There's also Age of Mythology, Empire Earth, Warcraft 3, and Star Wars Galactic Battlegrounds (fun fact, it's basically AoE2 with a Star Wars skin).

Rise of nations does look a lot like AoE indeed. I might give it a try. Thanks

1 hour ago, tatte said:

Give 0 A.D. a look, it's free and looks the part if you want more AoEish games.

Very interesting for a free and open source project. I should give it a try too :)

Dawn of War the first one and all its DLC

CPU AMD 5800x_____Asus Crosshair VIII_____Asus Strix LC 360_____RAM Corsair Dominator Pro 2x8Gb 3600mhz_____ASUS RTX 3080 Strix

PSU Corsair HX1000w_____CASE Lian Li 011 Dynamic (original choice right? w/9 UNI Fans)_____Keyboard Razer BlackWidow Chroma_____Mouse Razer Deathadder Chroma_____Headphones Bose QC25_____Monitor (1) Acer Predator XB1 144hz G-Sync  (2) Benq 144hz G-Sync

Microphone Blue Yeti Black

Razer Blade 14

Also an XBOX one s.

If you've played Company of Heroes 2, the first game is just as good. The Total War series also handles its battles RTS style while resource management and troop placement is done via turn based. And if you want something that's kind of like real-time 4X and you don't mind the sci-fi setting, Sins of a Solar Empire is a great game.

If you like AoE, then Age of Mythology is a must for you. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

2 hours ago, Mira Yurizaki said:

If you've played Company of Heroes 2, the first game is just as good. The Total War series also handles its battles RTS style while resource management and troop placement is done via turn based. And if you want something that's kind of like real-time 4X and you don't mind the sci-fi setting, Sins of a Solar Empire is a great game.

Interesting. Actually I own COH 1 as well so I might give it a try. Does it still have an active community?

1 minute ago, IAmAndre said:

Interesting. Actually I own COH 1 as well so I might give it a try. Does it still have an active community?

If you wanted to play online, there's a slight snag. The original version used GameSpy to handle everything, but that no longer is around. I believe Sega released a new version that still allows for online play without it (it's called Legacy in my library).

Otherwise I don't know how the community is these days.