MiraBook / SuperBook DIY

Szczyp

It pisses me off greatly that i carry around lot of computation power in my pocket , and when i need to write something comfortably on the go  I need to have my pc with me and  I need to buy  3 types of devices -  desktop PC (  gaming ) , laptop - ( work  mainly programming , db admin ) , and  good phone  ( watching cats  )  , so MiraBook / SuperBook / lapdock seem like a grate idea , but well crowdfunding , 3 yrs in production  etc.  and I was wondering if i can cobble something up on my own .

I worked out that i could basically buy 

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/13-3-Inch-Supper-Ultra-Narrow-Border-HDR-Portable-Monitor-1920X1080P-IPS-Screen-for-PS3-PS4/32966814138.html?spm=a2g17.10010108.1000001.8.574c7076efvBMl&%3BisOrigTitle=true

13.3 inch FHD Monitor with 6Ah  battery , 8 mm thick 

then 

https://www.amazon.com/Original-Official-Samsung-Type-C-Packaging/dp/B07GBGJ2FD

I really wish i could go totally wireless but i don't see any chromecasts  over usb c , and dex won't probobly work over it ( yet)

and some kind of small bt keyboard , with touchpad or additional mouse . 

I don't see any big problems with this setup , the big unknown is the screen , someone had any experience  with it ? Also i wonder if it will be usable on daily basis , I'm always carrying my backpack with me so it won't be a problem to just toss in it screen, one cable and small keyboard .  Samsung has its linux for dex  so i can just run all my tools on phone  , or just use teamviewer etc to connect to external box with tools on it . I'm looking for some kind feedback or ideas on the problem. 

i just got a superbook and while its nice for some things, android is PURE HELL to use as a desktop OS.

I have been using it for two days for school as an experiment adn its just so bad... Some of the problems are because of my LG G6 but there are problems that are core to android as a dekstop OS like how you interact with things. Everything is designed for touch, because its ment as a phone OS, so mosueclicks dont even work in some places, scrolling can be hard, Chrome is pretty much screwed without DPI adjustments as if you dont have sideways scroll you cant navigate the tabs. Sometimes random menues apear during normal navigation and outputting display gives my phone a solid <4h of life or so compared to the full day I tend to get otherwise.

If your phones aspect isnt 16:9 or whatever the display is you could see probles with that, i get letterboxing and sometimes a navigation thing at the bottom that randomly eats 1/4 of the screen because android. At seemingly random the screen goes white when trying to use search functions because it found it fitting to do so this time, but not the last time or whatever.

Navigation between apps can reset rotation sometimes, making you reach for your phone. That dosnt seem too bad, but when you are reaching over to do stuff using your phone directly, havent you defeated the purpose of this to begin with?

You are GOING to need to change the DPI unless you want to face un usable UI in several apps too. Doing that helped a lot but my Superbook experience is still pretty crap and really its not the hardware because the hardware is actiually nice. 

The idea is great, the Superbook idea is amazing. Your phone is plenty powerful for a lot of things, but Android says no. Sentio Desktop(dekstop app for the superbook that can change the DPI after its allowed some experimental access to stuff) says no. LG says no. 

The UI on my phone now constantly breaks in random glitchy ways, I need to charge it twice as often and I have a really shit time using it. 

As a laptop replacement i dont find this to be a good solution at all, if you want to keep yourself from procrastination then sure go for it, otherwise no.

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

There is also the power problem. I doubt that this screen is going to use under 3.5 to 5amps at5v just because of how much power is used for a standard screen. Plus you might want to plug in your phone to charge things. So personally I would go for a bigger battery but it starts to near the super book price range so it might just be worth it to go buy a super book if you still see it as an option.

Unless you want to build your own battery which is possible despite what linus says about spot welding and heating batterys it probably will be cheaper to buy a super book but It would be a great project that could be made better by the adition of a raspberry pi or any other small computer that could be used for desktop replacment or sent up as a thin client.

Overall looks like a good fun project if your up for it but its not the most practical. I have done similar with a old laptop display some batterys and A Raspberry pi and it was great for learning but terrible for anything useful.