What are some examples the quality difference between onboard and DAC?

Ogreclock

Hey everyone,

For the sake of keeping the title as short as possible, I know DACs aren't the only thing to consider when thinking of higher quality audio.

My question is: what are some examples of the jump in audio quality when applied to gaming (footstep clarity, gunshots, etc.), music (obvious overall quality in sound), or movies (again, obvious overall quality with some sound effects coming to life more).

Many thanks

P.S. I'm using onboard audio with Steelseries Arctis 3s, so higher quality sound is a foreign concept nor do I know any technical details.

Just now, LukeSavenije said:

this might be something to look at

I have already read it, but I would like some examples of noticeable differences in sound quality so I can understand it with my caveman brain xD

Thank you for the recommendation though, the article is informative but doesn't really touch on examples but rather the technical aspects, unless I missed something.

mostly clearity and less noice, as said in the article. only if you have hard to drive headphones there will be a high need for it, otherwise the onboard is fine for most people if you get a modern one

3 minutes ago, Ogreclock said:

I have already read it, but I would like some examples of noticeable differences in sound quality so I can understand it with my caveman brain xD

Thank you for the recommendation though, the article is informative but doesn't really touch on examples but rather the technical aspects, unless I missed something.

The thing is..its not easy to describe sounds and people perceive audio very differently from one another..so if i describe what i hear and then letting you hear what i heard..you might disagree with what i said.

But in general..you will get a better audio quality overall such as thumping and punchy bass, Clear mid and high with less noises or even static in some cases but very rare..

But if you want my opinion..what i notice from switching over to the Q1 from onboard audio is that in gaming..the gunshot sounds very punchy and clear with no distortion, the footstep sounds the same and the other sound effect just sounds more detailed than ever.

In music i notice a big difference on the mids especially when i listen to Hey Jude and I want you back..all of a sudden you hear something that isn't there before..

12 minutes ago, Ogreclock said:

P.S. I'm using onboard audio with Steelseries Arctis 3s, so higher quality sound is a foreign concept nor do I know any technical details.

You should be fine with that..providing that you have a modern motherboard with decent dac and easy to drive driver..no need to buy DAC..

Gaming Mouse Buying Guide (Technical Terms,Optical vs Laser,Mice Recommendation,Popular Mouse Sensor,Etc)

[LOGITECH G402 REVIEW]

I love Dark Souls lore, Mice and Milk tea  ^_^ Praise The Sun! \[T]/

I can conquer the world with one hand,As long as you hold the other -Unknown

Its better to enjoy your own company than expecting someone to make you happy -Mr Bean

No one is going to be with you forever,One day u'll have to walk alone -Hiromi aoki (avery)

BUT the one who love us never really leave us,You can always find them here -Sirius Black

Don't pity the dead,Pity the living and above all those who live without love -Albus Dumbledore

14 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

mostly clearity and less noice, as said in the article. only if you have hard to drive headphones there will be a high need for it, otherwise the onboard is fine for most people if you get a modern one

Awesome, thank you for the info!

3 minutes ago, Hiya! said:

The thing is..its not easy to describe sounds and people perceive audio very differently from one another..so if i describe what i hear and then letting you hear what i heard..you might disagree with what i said.

But in general..you will get a better audio quality overall such as thumping and punchy bass, Clear mid and high with less noises or even static in some cases but very rare..

But if you want my opinion..what i notice from switching over to the Q1 from onboard audio is that in gaming..the gunshot sounds very punchy and clear with no distortion, the footstep sounds the same and the other sound effect just sounds more detailed than ever.

In music i notice a big difference on the mids especially when i listen to Hey Jude and I want you back..all of a sudden you hear something that isn't there before..

You should be fine with that..providing that you have a modern motherboard with decent dac and easy to drive driver..no need to buy DAC..

Thank you for the info!  I know upping the audio aspect of the experience in movies and games can get very expensive, and I don't want to buy something just to find out I don't notice any difference, so knowing what I'm looking for will have a much better result.