Advice on new build plan

Leviathan88

I am building a new tower, as my old one is about 10 years old and I just need an upgrade. I am really only focused on the tower itself at the moment, I have a separate budget for peripherals. My goal was to stay between $1,000 USD to $1,300 USD with a total maximum price of $1,500 USD. 

This computer should be a good all round computer for basic CAD, software development, and maybe some light gaming. With some fancy RGB goodness too, because why not?

I have not built a computer in some time, and would like some feedback on the parts I have selected. I am very interesting in the argument between the GTX 1070 VS RTX 2060.

Full parts list here:

13 minutes ago, Leviathan88 said:

between the GTX 1070 VS RTX 2060.

The 1070 can be had for a good used price, which really helps its value (although the strix you've selected is another story) so it's something to consider for the "same performance for less" category.

You may also want to wait for retail Radeon VII products to start hitting the shelves, Vega and others are really good for productivity workloads because of increased parallel compute performance and increased Vram and/or memory bandwidth. Either that or a current Vega 56/64 would do nicely (and some undervolting in wattman)

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

11 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

Either that or a current Vega 56/64 would do nicely

I was thinking about going with a Vega 64, or on the lower end a RX 580. The Vega 64 wouldn't add much to the cost and I do like the idea of keeping everything with the same chip family (AMD preferred) 

The new Radon VII in February would be nice, but at $700 it's a hard sell. For my budget. 

Just now, Leviathan88 said:

I was thinking about going with a Vega 64, or on the lower end a RX 580. The Vega 64 wouldn't add much to the cost and I do like the idea of keeping everything with the same chip family (AMD preferred) 

The new Radon VII in February would be nice, but at $700 it's a hard sell. For my budget. 

I bet they're gonna have a lower (and higher tier) Radeon VII option. there are 60 compute units, which leaves room for both a more and less powerful graphics solution. I believe their 7nm Vega line will be replacing Polaris in the low end, since macbooks have stuff like vega 16 and vega 20 for those performance levels.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

A $1500USD budget is pretty good, but lower is always better. 

If you build now with the intention of upgrading the GPU to Radeon VII, is that considered in the budget?

Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Corsair H105, Gigabyte x570 Aorus Elite, Corsair Vengeance 32GB 3600MHz, EVGA RTX 3070Ti FTW3, Samsung 850 Pro / WD SN850 / OCZ Trion 150

ASUS MG279Q, Corsair Carbide 275R

13 minutes ago, Wingfan said:

A $1500USD budget is pretty good, but lower is always better. 

If you build now with the intention of upgrading the GPU to Radeon VII, is that considered in the budget?

I thought about that option too, and honestly that was pushing me towards to RTX 2060, as it's going to have a good resell value. So I could pick up the 2060 for $350, and in 6 months ditch it on ebay for probably $250-$300 and pick up the R VII card a bit later.

Theres never a guarantee of being able to sell a GPU at a reasonable offer ( requires patience and being willing to lower the price) 

What are you currently using?
Could you hold out till the VII's come out to build?

Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Corsair H105, Gigabyte x570 Aorus Elite, Corsair Vengeance 32GB 3600MHz, EVGA RTX 3070Ti FTW3, Samsung 850 Pro / WD SN850 / OCZ Trion 150

Just now, Wingfan said:

Theres never a guarantee of being able to sell a GPU at a reasonable offer ( requires patience and being willing to lower the price) 

What are you currently using?
Could you hold out till the VII's come out to build?

Oh well... my main workstation, the GPU just died, and I use it as a media server for my entire house. At the moment I'm limping along with my laptop. The desktop I was running had a duel core AMD Athlon 64, 8 gigs of ram, and a VisonTek 4550 AMD GPU. So that computer was not worth much anyways, but hey it live a long happy life. 

Working on a laptop has to be very frustrating.

Can you hold out until February? Its not that far away really. With that budget you could easily have a VII.

Athlon 64, a classic!

2 minutes ago, Wingfan said:

Working on a laptop has to be very frustrating.

Can you hold out until February? Its not that far away really. With that budget you could easily have a VII.

Athlon 64, a classic!

I probably could wait till mid February and be okay, I might just have less hair, and a larger forehead shaped dent in my desk. 

Just looking at the budget though, were at about $1,300 USD right now with a $350 GPU. Now I know I can buy some items bundled and get some discount, so let's say we cut out the GPU and were at maybe, $900USD net. If the R VII really hold at $700 I'll be over my max budget a bit at $1,600USD... 

And honestly guys, am I the only one disgusted by the fact the CPU chip alone is almost the cost of everything else combined?! What the hell happened?