New build for video editing and gaming

AriGee50

So im planning a new build for doing some 4k video editing and gaming. I work on 4k footage from my drone, but honestly i do even more gaming so gaming performance is also a big consideration.

Im running a 1440p 144hz monitor although Im not the kind of person that needs to run top tier games at that resolution and speed with max settings. obviously i still run at max res but im satisfied with 60fps with a few graphics settings turned down in top titles. Most of what I play is a little easier to run than hardcore games like my modded Fallout 4 or something. 

BUT, I do sometimes like to do things like watch a video or show while playing a game thats a little more laid back. I know there are more efficient ways of doing that but with my setup and limitations right now, its kind of the best choice for me.

Which is why, especially considering the 4k video editing...im thinking cores cores cores.

Now I already have an EVGA GTX 1070 SC which I can get up to 2Ghz without much trouble.

I also have a Corsair RM1000i (ridiculous overkill I know, but the fan never has to come on). So power supply is definitely covered lol.

I also have a Corsair H115i cooler, so OCing the new card should go well as far as that is concerned.

But right now I have an old Intel i5 3470 (not even a K) running at 3.8 Ghz with only 4 damn cores and no hyperthreading. It is DEFINITELY the bottleneck.

So here is the idea for replacement CPU, Mobo, and RAM:

AMD Ryzen 7 1700X (8 cores, 16 threads, 3.8Ghz turbo, 95W TDP)

Asus ROG Strix x370-F

G.Skill TridentZ 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3000

What do you think? Good plan? Ive actually never gone with an AMD processor before but this just seems like such a better and less expensive option than something comparable with Intel. 

Let me know! I finally got the money together to move forward with this plan and I'm excited!

Thanks everyone, Cheers!

Ariana

holy smokes batman...a female who knows what a computer is...crazy...

AMD Ryzen 7 1700X at 4.0GHz |  Corsair H115i |  Asus ROG STRIX X370-F | G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 3000MHZ 32GB (4x8GB)  | Asus ROG STRIX 2070 Super 

Samsung 970 EVO NVMe 500GB - Primary  |  2x Samsung 256GB SSDs and 11TB of spinning storage | Asus BD-RW Optical Drive 

Corsair RM1000i | InWin GR One Case

Sounds like a solid plan to me.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

You might consider a 2700X on a B450 motherboard. The single core performance of the cpu is better than your i5 so it should offer better game performance along with good video editing performance. The single core performance of the 1700X is a touch worse than the i5-3470.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.