Ram is not working in dual channel

Hi everyone!

Back in 2013 I bought a pc which was ensembled by a computer company. I want to upgrade it step by step (first GPU) and ran some benchmarks on it. When I opened CPU-z I discovered that my 2 stick of DDR3 ram 1600MHz were running in single channel. The people from the company placed the 2 sticks of ram in dimm 1 and 2 and not the, by msi (MOBO) advised, 2 and 4. I tried to place it in slot 2 and 4 and the pc did not boot. It also did not boot when I placed the sticks in slot 1 and 3. Both my mobo and ram should be capable of running in dual channel. 

Does anyone knows a solution to this problem?

CPU: i5-4670(non k)
MOBO: MSI Z87-G41 PC Mate
RAM: CrucialBallistix Sport DDR3 1600MHz
GPU: MSI GTX 770 2gb OC

Have you tried a BIOS update? Sometimes that sorts things out

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

2 hours ago, fasauceome said:

Have you tried a BIOS update? Sometimes that sorts things out

Thank you for the suggestion! I updated the BIOS but it did not fix it unfortunately

I did some more research and I think the problem is caused by some bent socket pins. However, don't feel comfortable to repair those myself.

Is your cooler installed tightly onto the motherboard? If so you can try to loosen it a bit. This helped with my pc. But my setuation was a little different.

Although the problem might be with dent pins in the motherboard socket. You can fix them with tweezers or a very pointy knife, but I would not recommend fixing it yourself if you are not comfortable with doing so.

3 hours ago, Xx_DonutEater_xX said:

Although the problem might be with dent pins in the motherboard socket. You can fix them with tweezers or a very pointy knife, but I would not recommend fixing it yourself if you are not comfortable with doing so.

I will give it a try, thank you for your help!

I had this same problem yesterday. I cleaned the bottom of the CPU with alcohol wipes (there was a slight stripe down a row of pads) and made sure the socket pins were not bent (there was one that was slightly lower than the rest) and made sure to install the cooler with even pressure, tightening slowly corner to corner.

It did solve the issue eventually.

I hope you get it sorted, I know how frustrating it can be.

CPU - Ryzen 7 5800x3D |  GPU - RTX 3080 TUF OC | Motherboard - ASUS TUF X570 | RAM - Patriot Viper Blackout 32GB 3200MHz | Case - InWin 805 | Boot Drive - Corsair MP600 PCIe 4.0  Storage - 2 x 1TB SSD's & 1 500GB SSD | PSU - Seasonic Focus Gold 1000w | Display - ASUS TUF VG27WQ Curved 1440P 165Hz | Cooling - ASUS TUF LC240 AIO + 5 aRGB Fans