A question about ryzen gen 3 and pcie 4 with B450 motherboards

IM looking at moving to ryzen as an upgrade and want to know what people mean when they say some b450/x470 motherboards won't get pcie 4 validation and that this can effect people wanting to use the new gen 3 ryzen chips, does this mean that boards that don't get this validation will simply be stuck wiht pcie 3 speeds when using a Ryzen gen 3 or  will ryzen gen 3 be unusable on these non validated boards?, also im going to assume all current am4 boards will get support for Ryzen gen 3 as amd said they are supporting the socket till 2020 i believe.         

Not sure on the PCIe 4 stuff. 

As for whether or not a given AM4 board will support a Gen 3 CPU or not will depend on the board manufacturer's desire to update the BIOS of their older boards. B450/X470 will likely get updates, B350/X370 might not since they are older.

Primary PC: - https://pcpartpicker.com/list/8G3tXv (Windows 10 Home)

HTPC: - https://pcpartpicker.com/list/KdBb4n (Windows 10 Home)
Server: Dell Precision T7500 - Dual Xeon X5660's, 44GB ECC DDR3, Dell Nvidia GTX 645 (Windows Server 2019 Standard)      

*SLI Rig* - i7-920, MSI-X58 Platinum SLI, 12GB DDR3, Dual EVGA GTX 260 Core 216 in SLI - https://pcpartpicker.com/list/GHw6vW (Windows 7 Pro)

HP DC7900 - Core 2 Duo E8400, 4GB DDR2, Nvidia GeForce 8600 GT (Windows Vista)

Compaq Presario 5000 - Pentium 4 1.7Ghz, 1.7GB SDR, PowerColor Radeon 9600 Pro (Windows XP x86 Pro)
Compaq Presario 8772 - Pentium MMX 200Mhz, 48MB PC66, 6GB Quantum HDD, "8GB" HP SATA SSD adapted to IDE (Windows 98 SE)

Asus M32AD - Intel i3-4170, 8GB DDR3, 250GB Seagate 2.5" HDD (converting to SSD soon), EVGA GeForce GTS 250, OEM 350W PSU (Windows 10 Core)

*Haswell Tower* https://pcpartpicker.com/list/3vw6vW (Windows 10 Home)

*ITX Box* - https://pcpartpicker.com/list/r36s6R (Windows 10 Education)

Dell Dimension XPS B800 - Pentium 3 800Mhz, RDRAM

In progress projects:

*Skylake Tower* - Pentium G4400, Asus H110

*Trash Can* - AMD A4-6300

*GPU Test Bench*

*Pfsense router* - Pentium G3220, Asrock H97m Pro A4, 4GB DDR3

I believe there are physical limitations in trace length for PCIe so it will be a combination of being physically capable and separately having the motivation to do the update.  However, if everything is backwards compatible then it shouldn't limit your use of a new CPU.  And I can't see why a new CPU would require a new standard when there aren't any other components that utilize it.  

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

23 minutes ago, Eastman51 said:

Not sure on the PCIe 4 stuff. 

As for whether or not a given AM4 board will support a Gen 3 CPU or not will depend on the board manufacturer's desire to update the BIOS of their older boards. B450/X470 will likely get updates, B350/X370 might not since they are older.

so if i got something in the mid rage like a Gigabyte B450 AORUS PRO id be good? 

Just now, dayfall said:

so if i got something in the mid rage like a Gigabyte B450 AORUS PRO id be good? 

Nobody can say that at this point as it has to be validated and/or tested by people knowing their stuff.

For that you need to wait for that.

As for the Board: I'd prefer ASROCK, even if they have way less warranty (only 1 Year instead of 3) than others...

After that maybe MSI.

Some "higher end" ASUS Boards have rather high power consumption. WIth the X370-F Strix and the 1700X I'm at around 20W more than MSI B450I or the Biostar X370GT7 I had before...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

1 minute ago, Stefan Payne said:

Nobody can say that at this point as it has to be validated and/or tested by people knowing their stuff.

For that you need to wait for that.

As for the Board: I'd prefer ASROCK, even if they have way less warranty (only 1 Year instead of 3) than others...

After that maybe MSI.

Some "higher end" ASUS Boards have rather high power consumption. WIth the X370-F Strix and the 1700X I'm at around 20W more than MSI B450I or the Biostar X370GT7 I had before...

i do have a ASRock fatality and it has done me well,  

32 minutes ago, dayfall said:

IM looking at moving to ryzen as an upgrade and want to know what people mean when they say some b450/x470 motherboards won't get pcie 4 validation and that this can effect people wanting to use the new gen 3 ryzen chips, does this mean that boards that don't get this validation will simply be stuck wiht pcie 3 speeds when using a Ryzen gen 3 or  will ryzen gen 3 be unusable on these non validated boards?, also im going to assume all current am4 boards will get support for Ryzen gen 3 as amd said they are supporting the socket till 2020 i believe.         

It means that you can't use PCIe 4 with those Boards and have to live with PCIe 3.0

While its a downside, its not a too big of deal practically...

I would not count on a B450 board suiting the power needs of a next gen Ryzen CPU.  

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

2 hours ago, nick name said:

I would not count on a B450 board suiting the power needs of a next gen Ryzen CPU.  

Bullshit, if we talk about the lower/mid range.

Acclrding to the leaks, up to 12 Cores should be fine. 16 Cores maybe not but they are also on the Expensive side...

14 hours ago, Stefan Payne said:

Bullshit, if we talk about the lower/mid range.

According to the leaks, up to 12 Cores should be fine. 16 Cores maybe not but they are also on the Expensive side...

yer isn't the whole thing about gen 3 gonna be same TDP and around 2x the core count?   

15 minutes ago, dayfall said:

yer isn't the whole thing about gen 3 gonna be same TDP and around 2x the core count?   

Correct.

Though some leakers claim that the highest end 16 Core might have a higher TDP. 

But still, with higher end Boards and decent VRM that shouldn't be a Problem at all...

On 1/12/2019 at 7:12 PM, Stefan Payne said:

Correct.

Though some leakers claim that the highest end 16 Core might have a higher TDP. 

But still, with higher end Boards and decent VRM that shouldn't be a Problem at all...

yer i don't plan to go over 8 cores thats why im holding off