Upgrading from a GTX 970 in 2019 ?

The Pizza Thief

Hi there, I'm looking to upgrade my gaming rig preferably in the next couple of months with the possibility of waiting for a few more if there is a new card coming out soon. I'm rocking a Gigabyte G1 970 which I just realized I got back in 2014 and I think it is starting to show its age. I would like to spend what I paid for it back in 2014 ~ $300usd, Just kidding! I know it is not possible nowadays, less than $600 preferably. I'm running a G-sync 2k monitor I think I should add that I don't know if it's worth switching from Nvidia to AMD and lose that functionality. 

Thanks ! 

Maybe find a used 1080 ti if you're okay with that, or an RTX 2070 if you want ray tracing. You also have the option to get maybe one of the upcoming 1160 or 1170 cards that are supposed to be the rtx lineup but no ray tracing. 

1 minute ago, Brynjar said:

Hi there, I'm looking to upgrade my gaming rig preferably in the next couple of months with the possibility of waiting for a few more if there is a new card coming out soon. I'm rocking a Gigabyte G1 970 which I just realized I got back in 2014 and I think it is starting to show its age. I would like to spend what I paid for it back in 2014 ~ $300usd, Just kidding! I know it is not possible nowadays, less than $600 preferably. I'm running a G-sync 2k monitor I think I should add that I don't know if it's worth switching from Nvidia to AMD and lose that functionality. 

Thanks ! 

God I miss my STRIX 970s in SLi

Yeah man stay team Green IMO. 1070ti's have been on sale every other week since November roughly for 350-420. 1080s are hard to find new at a good price (im cheap) and I am not sure about the RTXs if their issues have been fixed since release. 

For under 600 your choices are very broad. Pick the one that has the coolest back plate in your opinion lol! Or a 1070ti ROG

5 minutes ago, Apex_X said:

Maybe find a used 1080 ti if you're okay with that, or an RTX 2070 if you want ray tracing. You also have the option to get maybe one of the upcoming 1160 or 1170 cards that are supposed to be the rtx lineup but no ray tracing. 

I'd prefer to stay up to date for "future proofing" at least be able to use the card for a few years before upgrading again. I didn't know those were coming I'm gonna look them up maybe I wait for them. 

5 minutes ago, Slottr said:

2070 is a fair option for sub 600

Thanks, I will look for one see I pull the trigger on it. 

4 minutes ago, anthonyc813 said:

God I miss my STRIX 970s in SLi

Yeah man stay team Green IMO. 1070ti's have been on sale every other week since November roughly for 350-420. 1080s are hard to find new at a good price (im cheap) and I am not sure about the RTXs if their issues have been fixed since release. 

For under 600 your choices are very broad. Pick the one that has the coolest back plate in your opinion lol! Or a 1070ti ROG

I'm right with you, I also got 2 Gigabyte G1's as soon as they came out, ran them on SLI with my ROG 1440p monitor, I loved every second of it, then I started only playing competitive games so I sold one of the cards and here I am a few years later looking to upgrade, the circle of life. 

I had a R9 390 which is the equivalent of a GTX 970. It died and I got a brand new GTX 1080 for 548 bucks. Bad price, I know, but normally its sold for 913 bucks in my country. It's a very nice upgrade and it's very much worth it. Get a GTX 1080 or an RTX 2070, whichever is cheaper. I don't think 2070 is worth it if the price difference is big.

I helped a friend build a new system recently and he had a similar budget for his GPU, I suggested the ROG STRIX 2070. Performs just as well as a 1080 in most tests and gets damn close to 1080Ti performance under certain conditions. As reference I think my friend picked his up for ~$500 in the U.S.

Do some overclocking on that thing and you will be blazing frames on that Gsync 2k monitor! Good luck.

General nerd and I work in corporate finance. Happy to help!

5 minutes ago, Brynjar said:

EVGA has a 499$ 2070, I'd look into that.

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

3 minutes ago, Brynjar said:

I'd prefer to stay up to date for "future proofing" at least be able to use the card for a few years before upgrading again. I didn't know those were coming I'm gonna look them up maybe I wait for them. 

I'm right with you, I also got 2 Gigabyte G1's as soon as they came out, ran them on SLI with my ROG 1440p monitor, I loved every second of it, then I started only playing competitive games so I sold one of the cards and here I am a few years later looking to upgrade, the circle of life. 

My man the 970s were a perfect match for my ASUS MG279Q. Yes its FreeSync but those cards ran everything on ultra with hair works on. At the time Witcher 3 was new and hot.

Went to AMD to try out FreeSync and I always regretted selling the 970s for a STRIX Fury- that was a nightmare. Ended up with a 390X cause I could not fine those STRIX 970s again...

Today I run a Vega 56. Got it for 329.99 WITH three games in the end. Of course Nvidia announces my monitor can be used with an RTX 2080 with adaptive sync on....... D'OH!!!

image.png.5946d33e20ea715c835b345a4762b6d4.png

Man that does look bad ass! Its all about dat back plate! Remember as of today RTX only works in Battle Field 5, which comes with this card as a gift. Im with @Brynjar forget "future proofing" and grab something current today for today. With your budget mentioned, I would get the card that looks the best TO YOU in the 2070 line up and read the comments on Newegg to see what users say about the card.

3 hours ago, Brynjar said:

Thanks ! 

If you really wanna spend the budget get a used 1080. But as of 2019 I recommend a RX 590 at a much lower price. If your looking at the direct power you should get a GTX 1070 ti.

????1... ???? ??? ?????? ???? ????????? ??? ????? ????? ??? ????? ????? ????? ???????? ?? '???, ????, ?????'. ???? ???? ????? ???? ?????????, ?? ??? ???? ????????.