Partner with German Telekom to allow "data-free" streaming of Floatplane

Giswald

It would be nice if you team up with Deutsche Telekom to include Floatplane.com streaming within the zero free data usage.

For more reference see here:

https://www.telekom.de/hilfe/mobilfunk-mobiles-internet/mobiles-internet-e-mail/streamon/streamon-partner-werden?samChecked=true

Why would they spend thousands, if not hundreds of thousands of dollars just to allow free streaming for such a small minority of their users?

OFF TOPIC: I suggest every poll from now on to have "**CK EA" option instead of "Other"

It's free for service providers AFAIK, it would be illegal otherwise because it would be against net neutrality. There are a fair number of small streaming providers taking part including lots of radio stations for example.

I don't know anything about the specific requirements though, so it may still not be feasible for Floatplane. Telekom says that it's very easy to be admitted but even if that's true there's still a language barrier.

Meanwhile in 2024: Ivy Bridge-E has finally retired from gaming (but is still not dead).

Desktop: AMD Ryzen 9 7900X; 64GB DDR5-6000; Radeon RX 6800XT Reference / Server: Intel Xeon 1680V2; 64GB DDR3-1600 ECC / Laptop:  Dell Precision 5540; Intel Core i7-9850H; NVIDIA Quadro T1000 4GB; 32GB DDR4

11 minutes ago, silentdragon95 said:

it would be illegal otherwise because it would be against net neutrality.

The net neutrality we don't have anymore?

Either way, it most likely won't happen; I doubt Floatplane will see it as worth doing.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

Well sort of. Either way we do have a law stating that all data packets have to be treated equally by ISPs and these zero rating offerings are sort of in a grey area. Both the Telekom and Vodafone are actually still in lawsuits regarding these offerings so they might still be declared illegal anyway.

But just in case someone at LMG might be wanting to look into it at some point in the future, the gist of the document linked by @Giswald appears to be that all you need to do is get in touch with Telekom via email. However, I do understand that there are probably a thousand more important things regarding Floatplane that need to be dealt with so I wob't be holding my breath :D

Meanwhile in 2024: Ivy Bridge-E has finally retired from gaming (but is still not dead).

Desktop: AMD Ryzen 9 7900X; 64GB DDR5-6000; Radeon RX 6800XT Reference / Server: Intel Xeon 1680V2; 64GB DDR3-1600 ECC / Laptop:  Dell Precision 5540; Intel Core i7-9850H; NVIDIA Quadro T1000 4GB; 32GB DDR4

8 hours ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

The net neutrality we don't have anymore?

Either way, it most likely won't happen; I doubt Floatplane will see it as worth doing.

This would only apply to Germany where there still are net neutrality laws. 

Wether it’s worth the hassle, I can’t say