Is this dangerous?

Hello everybody. 

I was going to clean my pc today when I noticed that the pcie slot where the gpu is has these pins "loose",is it normal?  is it dangerous? I mean can it cause a short and possible damage to the gpu? Should I replace the mobo ASAP or can it be fixed? The gpu works fine. Thanks in advance! 

15470833847641444521112.jpg

1547083579584-125240476.jpg

That's definitely broken, those pins should be inside the connector...

Your GPU has still worked though?

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

7 minutes ago, Enderman said:

That's definitely broken, those pins should be inside the connector...

Your GPU has still worked though?

Yes it's working fine, no performance issues at all but I'm worried it could cause damage to my gpu, my whole system or even start a fire. 

Also What with the battery?

If it still working pack some moldable eraser in it to protect it from more damage

4 minutes ago, Black spider said:

Yes it's working fine, no performance issues at all but I'm worried it could cause damage to my gpu, my whole system or even start a fire. 

Yeah if it shorts it could kill something.

RMA the motherboard?

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

It won't start a fire. But I myself would be worried about how that happened. GPU sag? Or maybe your system got bumped? If you know for sure you don't have a sag problem, I would say as long as the pins are put back in the slot, and make good contact still (test the gpu) it should be fine.

EDIT: had a better look at the photo...the pins appear to be pulled from underneath the slot. In that case, I'd just flat out replace the motherboard.

3 minutes ago, Enderman said:

Yeah if it shorts it could kill something.

RMA the motherboard?

It's out of warranty already unfortunately. 

2 minutes ago, TempestCatto said:

It won't start a fire. But I myself would be worried about how that happened. GPU sag? Or maybe your system got bumped? If you know for sure you don't have a sag problem, I would say as long as the pins are put back in the slot, and make good contact still (test the gpu) it should be fine.

Fedex bumped it a year ago when they delivered it to me, the gpu was lying on the bottom of the case, no damage at all, seller gave me a discount, after testing the system it was all good, never noticed those pins until today, no gpu sag. 

How can I insert those pins back in the slot? 

5 minutes ago, narrdarr said:

Also What with the battery?

If it still working pack some moldable eraser in it to protect it from more damage

You mean this battery? It's fine, it looks way more dirty than it is but that's bc my phone camera sux ?

1547085537852-1969268058.jpg

Just now, Black spider said:

How can I insert those pins back in the slot?

From the photos, you cant. Not without breaking them (or at least making them too brittle to work).

Yeah you can't put the pins back in, you would literally need to rip out the plastic housing to put them in, and all the other pints would come out.

Spoiler

8 minutes ago, TempestCatto said:

From the photos, you cant. Not without breaking them (or at least making them too brittle to work).

So I need to replace the mobo? Should I put some moldable eraser like narrdarr suggested? Some electrical tape? 

2 minutes ago, Enderman said:

Yeah you can't put the pins back in, you would literally need to rip out the plastic housing to put them in, and all the other pints would come out.

That's too bad ? I don't want to get a new mobo unless it's really necessary 

Just now, Black spider said:

That's too bad ? I don't want to get a new mobo unless it's really necessary 

You can break them off at the root so that they can't touch eachother.

If your GPU has worked fine so far then you probably don't need the pins.

Maybe it's running at x8 instead of x16 but who cares, it makes no performance difference.

Spoiler

I think that was a manufacturing error.  Those pins were never in that PCIe slot in my opinion. 

i9-9900k @ 5.1GHz || EVGA 3080 ti FTW3 EK Cooled || EVGA z390 Dark || G.Skill TridentZ 32gb 4000MHz C16

970 Pro 1tb || 860 Evo 2tb || BeQuiet Dark Base Pro 900 || EVGA P2 1200w || AOC Agon AG352UCG

Cooled by: Heatkiller || Hardware Labs || Bitspower || Noctua || EKWB

16 minutes ago, Enderman said:

You can break them off at the root so that they can't touch eachother.

If your GPU has worked fine so far then you probably don't need the pins.

Maybe it's running at x8 instead of x16 but who cares, it makes no performance difference.

It's possible, it's a zotac gtx 1060 amp edition, a very small card and yeah I have not noticed any performance issue. 

11 minutes ago, TahoeDust said:

I think that was a manufacturing error.  Those pins were never in that PCIe slot in my opinion. 

Hmm interesting, there is a very small gap between the pcie slot and the mobo but is so tiny that it makes me hard to believe those pins got out of the slot intact but then again as I said FedEx did bump the box when they delivered it to me.