Heatsink for NVMe SSD - Does the sticker have to be removed?

lilkooch

Hi,

I am installing a EKWB M.2 NVMe heatsink and I was wondering should I remove the sticker that is on the SSD before putting on the thermal pad or keep it the sticker on.  I understand the warranty issues and really not concerned.  I am more concerned with performance and does it make a difference in cooling if I dont remove the sticker compared to removing it.  

You can do it, but I personally would not do it because I have seen units with the numbers needed for the manufacturer to identify which unit this one would be, from what lot it belongs or what's the revision number to be written on the label only, which means that even with software they will not be able to identify the part number/lot number/ serial number or whatever number was written on the label. Take a picture at least if it has a number just in case.

Seagate Technology | Official Forums Team

IronWolf Drives for NAS Applications - SkyHawk Drives for Surveillance Applications - BarraCuda Drives for PC & Gaming

• 1 month later...

Just make sure whatever thermal tape you're using to connect to the heat sink is non-conductive. Most of the NVME SSD's (Samsung, Toshiba, WD, etc) have a delidded memory controller (much like a GPU- it's the mirror-finish shiny part under the sticker) and not every NVME SSD heat sink comes with non-conductive thermal tape.

When I first started adding heat sinks to SSD's, my very first one I took the sticker off, put the thermal tape onto the heat sink, and meticulously applied it right to the center of the NVME board. The application was b-e-a-u-t-i-f-u-l. Welp, computer wouldn't boot. So, after quite a bit of troubleshooting, I cut a piece of the sticker just big enough to cover the exposed die on the SSD, reapplied the heat sink and thermal tape, and bam. Worked great. Turns out the stickers are non-conductive (obviously) but not all thermal tape is.

I've measured temps with and without stickers underneath the heatsink and it makes absolutely zero difference. The stickers have basically no impact on the thermal tape and heat sink's ability to pull heat off of the SSD.

In addition what’s been said above nvme drives  different components like to be hot and cool  concurrently. Meaning performance or even  longevity  of for example memory dies like cool while the buss lanes like hot like 60c with other various parts

Edited by unsungheroist

There is no enemy. The foe on the battlefield is merely the manifestation of that which we must overcome. The doubt, and fear, and despair. Every battle is fought within. Conquer the battlefield that lies inside you, and the enemy disappears like the illusion it is.

Thanks for sharing this information! I am sure that more than one will benefit from it.

Seagate Technology | Official Forums Team

IronWolf Drives for NAS Applications - SkyHawk Drives for Surveillance Applications - BarraCuda Drives for PC & Gaming