Ryzen 3 vs 9900k

Hello all,

I currently have a desktop setup with ryzen 2600, but as for work I am about to begin doing heavy processes which require an improved CPU. 9900k is currently top of the line, but the intel tax is just too much for me to want to bite the bullet just yet, and as such I am waiting to see what the Ryzen 3 series has to offer. Here is my question. I also like to game on my rig (AAA), and am running a UWQHD display @120hz. I know historically ryzen has had issues playing at higher fps than intel, but if I'm just aiming for roughly 100fps/max settings w/o anti-aliasing, should I be ok running a new zen 2 cpu (3700x or better) or do I need the intel to reach my desired fps? GPU is 1070ti, planning on upgrading to a 2080ti.

You can easily run higher fps on ryzen, Intel is better for it- but its easily manageable. 

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

4 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

What programs are you running that need more speed?

Less speed intensive than core count. But data mining, CAD, and scientific modelling.

10 minutes ago, BSula99 said:

Less speed intensive than core count. But data mining, CAD, and scientific modelling.

Then wait and see, or if you want it soon, look at the threadripper 1920x.

44 minutes ago, BSula99 said:

3rd Gen Ryzen should have the better FPU performance and better latency. You just have to wait to see what it can do.

That being said, unless Zen2 is just in a class of its own, you'll need to find benchmarking of the specific programs. How they're compiled is going to make a big difference for those types of workloads.