Can I use Optimum router as access point

I owned an optimum router for 2 years and decided to upgrade to a nighthawk x4s wireless router by NetGear. It works great but in my home theater in  my basement that has has double rock wool safe n' sound soundproofing volcanic rock insulation, it is hard for the WiFi to get through. I was thinking of using the old wireless router as a access point in the basement but when I plugged it in and used the LAN port on the optimum router to attach to the LAN port on my Ethernet switch, and using another Ethernet cable to attach my PC to the LAN port on the optimum router and tried 192.168.1.1 to connect to the optimum router to change its IP address to a .2 It wouldn't let me configure it cause it needed to be wired to a modem, not my other router, I tried everything and cant get the configure screen.

Optimum router: Sagecom f@st 5260CV

Netgear nighthawk x4s: https://www.netgear.com/home/products/networking/wifi-routers/R7800.aspx

No WAN ports were used in the making of this topic, (Except for the netgear router being connected to modem)

when connected, open cmd (windows only) and type 

ipconfig

look for a line that says gateway. 

type that ip into browser and voila

3 hours ago, Saksham said:

when connected, open cmd (windows only) and type 

ipconfig

look for a line that says gateway. 

type that ip into browser and voila

@Saksham I did, while my computer Ethernet port was connected to the optimum router and the optimum router was connected to netgear using lan, it said that it need to be connected using the modem and to check the coax cable, It wouldn't let me configure it unless it was the only router

i am a little confused with the connection tree. could you make a drawing of the layout? that would be greatly appreciated.

i am a little confused with the connection tree. could you make a drawing of the layout? that would be greatly appreciated.

@Saksham

Untitled.png

ahh... i think i found it. the nighthawk lan needs to be connected to optimum wan port. (90% sure this is the problem). this way, the nighthawk will act like a switch and will pass through the internet. this will however, make a new network on the optimum which will be separate from the nighthawk wifi network.

Edited by Saksham

ahh... i think i found it. the nighthawk lan needs to be connected to optimum wan port. (90% sure this is the problem). 

@Saksham

Checking now...

@Sakshamimageproxy.php?img=&key=17c10421afdc6db8

Still not working, getting these images when going to 192.168.1.1. 

my pc is connecting through ethernet to optimum router

3.PNG

4.PNG

5.PNG

Capture.PNG

2.PNG

im not sure how the optimum router is configured but my next guess is that optimum has locked the router so it will only work when directly connected to the modem. (they wont let you use it as a extender). or maybe i'm missing something

im not sure how the optimum router is configured but my next guess is that optimum has locked the router so it will only work when directly connected to the modem. (they wont let you use it as a extender). or maybe i'm missing something

@Saksham

Well thanks for trying

Going to try a verizon router not that I used when I owned a verizon plan

@Saksham

So the verizon one works and I disabled DHCP and set the ip address to an unused one by the first router (192.168.1.2) and connected the verizon router to the netgear one through lan and well I have both network connections working for both wifi connections (netgear 5ghz, verizon 5ghz), but is there a way to connect them both and make 1 network or set it up so devices auto switch to strongest device?