GTX 1060 Making my AMD A8-6500 run hot

my son is building a gaming computer and purchased a GTX 1060 video card, evga 500w power source and installed it into an older HP Pavillion with a A8-6500. Any activity at all including just using the mouse it pegs the temp. He downloaded MSI After burner to cool the graphics card and it did not help. Ant suggestion? Can the A8-6500 handle the GT 1060 card? or does he need a new processor?

Thanks 

remove the side panel of the case, I suspect poor airflow.

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

What did your son do after installing MSI Afterburner? Installing it by itself will do nothing as it's designed for monitoring different system elements, changing clock speeds, and fan speeds of your graphics card.

Edited by Godlygamer23
Read too quickly.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Aside from the above two responses, I would also recommend that your son saves up some cash and upgrades that system to a Ryzen 3 or 5 with a compatible motherboard and memory.

This doesn't have to be done soon, but I wouldn't recommend sticking with the A8 too much longer.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

Inherently, if the graphics card is blowing heated air into the case and not out the back, the temps will rise. If your model is like that (since there are so many 1060s and its hard to know what you have without more info), then poor heat removal is expected.

My recommendation is to check your intake and exhaust fans of the case to make sure air is flowing. Also, don't put the case in an enclosed space or back against a wall, this seems to be an issue with people trying to make their setup look pretty. Looks ok, heat isn't being removed though. As Jurrunio pointed out, you can open the case if there is no air flow.

As always, you can upgrade cooling, within limitations of the case and power provided. If that is beyond the scope of your or your sons knowledge with PC hardware, stick to improving air flow.

Just now, Crunchy Dragon said:

I wouldn't recommend sticking with the A8 too much longer

I wouldn't recommend keeping it now, as the dual-module design will likely drag down the 1060 in most games. Unfortunate yes, but its the truth.

Could be poor air flow, bad contact with the cooler, bad thermal paste, or a number of other things. Even once you fix the thermal issue the A8-6500 will not keep up very well with a 1060 6GB

5 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

What did your friend do after installing MSI Afterburner? Installing it by itself will do nothing as it's designed for monitoring different system elements, changing clock speeds, and fan speeds of your graphics card.

my son increased the fan speed on the GPU 

9 minutes ago, Jurrunio said:

remove the side panel of the case, I suspect poor airflow.

I will have him try that and see what happens

2 minutes ago, Redbeard22 said:

If its dumping air into the case and not out the back, this won't do anything but increase case temps. Would likely increase CPU temps.

5 minutes ago, RAM555789 said:

Could be poor air flow, bad contact with the cooler, bad thermal paste, or a number of other things. Even once you fix the thermal issue the A8-6500 will not keep up very well with a 1060 6GB

he bought a gaming case with decent air flow, I didnt think the A8 would be able to keep up. hes going top have to use a few more bucks of his Christmas money and get a R3 or R5

2 minutes ago, AlphaHelix said:

If its dumping air into the case and not out the back, this won't do anything but increase case temps. Would likely increase CPU temps.

ahhh ok I will tell him

14 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Aside from the above two responses, I would also recommend that your son saves up some cash and upgrades that system to a Ryzen 3 or 5 with a compatible motherboard and memory.

This doesn't have to be done soon, but I wouldn't recommend sticking with the A8 too much longer.

THANK YOU

29 minutes ago, AlphaHelix said:

I wouldn't recommend keeping it now, as the dual-module design will likely drag down the 1060 in most games. Unfortunate yes, but its the truth.

GOTCHA THANKS, HES LOOKING AT A RYZEN 3 NOW ON AMAZON...LOL

43 minutes ago, Redbeard22 said:

he bought a gaming case with decent air flow, I didnt think the A8 would be able to keep up. hes going top have to use a few more bucks of his Christmas money and get a R3 or R5

Hold out for another couple days, word is AMD is announcing the next gen Ryzen on Wednesday at CES. which based on rumors is gonna be a big step up performance wise.

3 minutes ago, Daniel644 said:

Hold out for another couple days, word is AMD is announcing the next gen Ryzen on Wednesday at CES. which based on rumors is gonna be a big step up performance wise.

sweet! Thanks

3 hours ago, Redbeard22 said:

Didn't even see that you were talking about your son(read too quickly). I corrected my post. Sorry about that.

As mentioned, if you don't have enough airflow, increasing the fan speed on the graphics card won't really do anything - it might allow the card to run cooler, but if you don't have enough airflow, it's just going to become a hotbox, and the temperatures of your other components(and perhaps the graphics card too), will increase. 

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch