2 Routers increase Bandwidth?

Hey everyone, Right now I have a Netgear nighthawk x4s. I have about 25 devices connected to it. My brother's and I have our computers connected to it. I was was also thinking of connected our house's other devices like a XBOX, PS4, and some smart TVs. Our connection to the INTERWEBS gets slower and slower as we add more connections because of our bandwidth. I was thinking of adding a second Netgear nighthawk x4s router to increase it and place it on the other side of the house, would this increase the bandwidth and help our connection. My wired computer went from 350 megabits a second before we started adding devices down to 100 megabits a second.

NETGEAR ROUTER: https://www.amazon.com/Netgear-R7800-100NAS-Nighthawk-Ethernet-Compatible/dp/B0192911RA

First off, no, another router will not increase the speed of the ISP bandwidth. If anything you're just making a double NAT. If you wanted to improve WiFi speeds, run ethernet cable and get an access point such as the Ubiquiti AC-Lite or AC-Pro to increase WiFi range.

Just having a lot of devices wouldn't magically suck down that much bandwidth. You sure users weren't just downloading stuff at the time you ran the test? That or you might've tested during a busy period where the speed is limited by the ISP (Usually dinner time for the most part)

The netgear X4S is quite a fast router and 25 devices should be nothing to it. I would test with all devices connected, but make sure none of them aren't trying to download while you run your speed tests. You could also enable QoS to manage the bandwidth as well.

What ISP package do you have?

It depends what the actual issue is.  If your problem is wifi contention, another AP would help.  If your problem is ISP contention, then upgrading the ISP package would help.  If your problem is foreign interference as you're adding devices to the 2.4G band, migrate to the 5G band or change channels.

You have to do a bit of additional investigating, unless you have enough disposable income to upgrade everything.

PC : 3600 · Crosshair VI WiFi · 2x16GB RGB 3200 · 1080Ti SC2 · 1TB WD SN750 · EVGA 1600G2 · Define C 

On 1/6/2019 at 6:20 PM, beersykins said:

What ISP package do you have?

It depends what the actual issue is.  If your problem is wifi contention, another AP would help.  If your problem is ISP contention, then upgrading the ISP package would help.  If your problem is foreign interference as you're adding devices to the 2.4G band, migrate to the 5G band or change channels.

You have to do a bit of additional investigating, unless you have enough disposable income to upgrade everything.

They said their wired speed reduced, so clearly its not a WiFi issue.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7