i5 8400 vs i5 9600k (not overclocking)

Go to solution Solved by badreg,

No. It's a 500-600Mhz extra across the board at stock, which is not worth it if you are not going to take advantage of the unlocked multipler.

Is worth spending 80$ CAD more for a i5 9600k over a i5 8400? And why? I wont be overclocking 

No. It's a 500-600Mhz extra across the board at stock, which is not worth it if you are not going to take advantage of the unlocked multipler.

not enough info, would have to know what the rest of the setup looks like but it probably doesn't matter except if you think about resale

5 hours ago, Swes said:

not enough info, would have to know what the rest of the setup looks like but it probably doesn't matter except if you think about resale

Using a rtx 2080 ti and a b360 board

1 hour ago, Ilikecomputerlul said:

Im using it for gaming only. With a rtx 2080 ti. And a b360 motherboard 

With a beast of a card like that... 9900k

/jks 

from what I’ve gathered you should be ok, maybe a 10-15% bottleneck depending on your silicon and game. But mostly should be fine.  (I googled your question and this is what I came up with)

MSI B450 Pro Gaming Pro Carbon AC | AMD Ryzen 2700x  | NZXT  Kraken X52  MSI GeForce RTX2070 Armour | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4*8) 3200MhZ | Samsung 970 evo M.2nvme 500GB Boot  / Samsung 860 evo 500GB SSD | Corsair RM550X (2018) | Fractal Design Meshify C white | Logitech G pro WirelessGigabyte Aurus AD27QD 

Your setup is heavily skewed towards the GPU, but you haven't really mentioned what kind of refresh rates or resolutions you're targeting, so not much to say. Regarding the i5-8400, the clock speeds are quite low, so if you have something like a 144 Hz monitor, I would say it could be a bit inadequate.

I'd say go for the 9600k, im not a huge fan of i3/i5 series right now but if you go that route for the the 2080 Ti little bit extra might be worth it