GPU in wrong PCI slot - Premiere Pro hardware rendering not working

I have been having issues rendering footage using Adobe Premiere Pro on Windows 10 build 1809.  I suspect that the problem is being caused by my graphics card being identified as installed in PCIe slot 4 when it is actually installed in PCIe slot 1.  

The card works just fine for gaming, it is only not working for Premiere Pro hardware encoding, and the software encoding is producing video files that are full of errors and weird artifacts.  

In the photos I attached you can see that the graphics card is identified as being installed in PCI slot 4, but is actually installed in slot 1.  I also included a photo of the motherboard diagram from my manual.  To compare this I included a photo of my wifi card.  Device manager identifies the wifi card as being installed in the correct slot, but misidentifies the graphics card.  

I have tried uninstalling and re-installing the graphics card, but it won't identify the correct PCI slot.  I did not try disabling it because I'm afraid it might cause more problems than I already have.  

I recently installed a new processor and I had some issues at first, so to troubleshoot I did have the graphics card installed in PCI slot 4.  I believe that is the cause of this problem, but how can I get it switched back to slot 1?

Thanks in advance,

Derek

PC info:

ASUS x99-e-10G WS

i7-6950x

64gb RAM

GTX 1080Ti

pcie slot 4 bus 5.JPG

motherboard layout according to manual.jpg

pcie slot 6.JPG

position of graphics card and wifi card.jpg

The slot number in device manager doesn't matter, and isn't the physicall slot normally.

Im gonna guess there is something wrong with software, try a reinstall.

VegetableStu, I'll check that real quick and get back to you

12 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

can't promise if that might be it though ,_, sorry if that wasn't it

Oh you were thinking the hardware encoding would work if I moved the wifi card there?  Darn, I thought you were just curious what device manager would say if I moved the wifi card there, and now I have already moved it back without testing the hardware rendering settings.  

Anyway, when I had the wifi card in PCI slot 3, this is what device manager said: 

weird result.JPG

Which is weird, it says they are both on the same PCIe slot.  A photo of the card:

new position of wifi card.jpg

It seems every time I move the card it gives it a new number, as you can see it says Broadcom 802.11ac Network Adapter #3.  Before it said #2.  That is because I had it in PCI slot #5 before.  I recently combined my usb 2.0 extension with my USB 3.0 card so that I could conserve PCI slots and possibly add another PCI SSD without covering one of my GPU fans.  

22 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

The slot number in device manager doesn't matter, and isn't the physicall slot normally.

Im gonna guess there is something wrong with software, try a reinstall.

I reinstalled the drivers and all adobe programs.  Completely removed adobe from my PC and then reinstalled only Premiere and the media encoder program.  I also installed an older version of the driver and that didn't help.  When I first uninstalled the driver and tried to reinstall however, Nvidia said that its driver wasn't compatible with this version of windows.  After a restart that error disappeared.  

10 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

yeah uhh o_o

my guess was something to do with reducing lane complexity at the moment (your motherboard is capable of hosting all the slots at x8, or every odd slots at x16). if premiere is still rendering weird.... i can't think of anything else ,_,

alright, I'll put it back and see what happens haha.  I hope I don't have to leave it there for adobe to work.  I feel like it will either limit airflow or increase fan noise during games :(

The more I use adobe the more it seems like its normal state is "not working" lol

18 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

yeah uhh o_o

my guess was something to do with reducing lane complexity at the moment (your motherboard is capable of hosting all the slots at x8, or every odd slots at x16). if premiere is still rendering weird.... i can't think of anything else ,_,

ok with the wifi card in pci slot 3 I can still only use software rendering.  I think it probably is a software issue but why isn't reinstalling helping.  This is weird.  It worked perfectly with my i7-8500k.  

49 minutes ago, roweder said:

I reinstalled the drivers and all adobe programs.  Completely removed adobe from my PC and then reinstalled only Premiere and the media encoder program.  I also installed an older version of the driver and that didn't help.  When I first uninstalled the driver and tried to reinstall however, Nvidia said that its driver wasn't compatible with this version of windows.  After a restart that error disappeared.  

did you reinstall windows? Try a fresh install on a different drive

2 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

did you reinstall windows? Try a fresh install on a different drive

I was hoping this question wasn't coming haha, I figured a fresh install of windows would fix it, but I really don't want to have to do that again.  I haven't gone a full year with the same windows install since like 2012

2 hours ago, roweder said:

I was hoping this question wasn't coming haha, I figured a fresh install of windows would fix it, but I really don't want to have to do that again.  I haven't gone a full year with the same windows install since like 2012

If you have a extra drive, id reinstall on there, and see if it fixies it, and that won't touch your data at all.

2 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

If you have a extra drive, id reinstall on there, and see if it fixies it, and that won't touch your data at all.

I just reinstalled on my main drive bc I don't currently have a spare I could use for it, and I was anticipating it fixing the problem, but the hardware encoding is still disabled.  This is really odd and disappointing.  

45 minutes ago, roweder said:

I just reinstalled on my main drive bc I don't currently have a spare I could use for it, and I was anticipating it fixing the problem, but the hardware encoding is still disabled.  This is really odd and disappointing.  

does cuda work on the system?