Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Booting up on side only

Demitrius
 Share

I just built my new pc and when i first turned it on everything seemed to work. When i plugged in a monitor, no signal. I kept trying to fix the problem and figured out that it basically always turns on/boots up when i put it on its side with the motherboard facing down. How can i fix this? (I've also managed to install Windows 10 on it while it was on its side)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Demitrius said:

I just built my new pc and when i first turned it on everything seemed to work. When i plugged in a monitor, no signal. I kept trying to fix the problem and figured out that it basically always turns on/boots up when i put it on its side with the motherboard facing down. How can i fix this? (I've also managed to install Windows 10 on it while it was on its side)

make sure all the connectors from the PSU are plugged in all the way (from the PSU side if it's modular, and from the motherboard side), reseat the RAM, reseat the GPU, reseat the CPU.

 

do it in order and check if it boots up after each step.

Quote or Tag people so they know that you've replied.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

My first guess is that if it boots with motherboard facing down then there is something behind the motherboard that shorts it out when it's not hanging.

 

Second guess would be a loose front panel plug.

If you're interested in a product please download and read the manual first.

Don't forget to tag or quote in your reply if you want me to know you've answered or have another question.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, syn2112 said:

make sure all the connectors from the PSU are plugged in all the way (from the PSU side if it's modular, and from the motherboard side), reseat the RAM, reseat the GPU, reseat the CPU.

 

do it in order and check if it boots up after each step.

I tried everything you said. It didn't boot up while upright at all. I checked all the plugs to see if they were fully seated and they were. I even took everything off and check behind the mobo to see if anything would be touching it and there was nothing i saw. When i put everything back together it didn't work standing upright but still worked perfectly fine on its side with the mobo facing down. Any other ideas?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, keskparane said:

My first guess is that if it boots with motherboard facing down then there is something behind the motherboard that shorts it out when it's not hanging.

 

Second guess would be a loose front panel plug.

I looked behind the mobo to see if anything was there or if anything could be sticking out of the case to touch the mobo and saw nothing. Put everything back together and still only works on its side with mobo facing down.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, FatherChaos said:

Did you install the stand offs for the case?

image.png.80d5caeb6cf0e9fd44c0174f9c1f0022.png

Yes. That was how i am able to hang my mobo facing down

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think perhaps I misunderstood. Are you say the PC only works on it's side or the monitor only works when the PC is on its side? If it's the latter I've got a case where I have to hack a bit off the HDMI plugs to get them to work. Could your problem be similar?

 

 

IMG_20190105_094933.jpg

If you're interested in a product please download and read the manual first.

Don't forget to tag or quote in your reply if you want me to know you've answered or have another question.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, keskparane said:

I think perhaps I misunderstood. Are you say the PC only works on it's side or the monitor only works when the PC is on its side? If it's the latter I've got a case where I have to hack a bit off the HDMI plugs to get them to work. Could your problem be similar?

 

 

IMG_20190105_094933.jpg

So i figured out that when i have the ethernet plugged into my pc it works every time no problems. But when i take the ethernet cord out of my pc it wont even boot up. The ethernet outlet in my room doesn't work so i can't use it. I'm pretty sure this isn't normal so how can i fix this?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

What do you mean by "boot up" and "facing down".?

Does it power on?

Does it post? 

Does it boot to os?

 

Or is it just not displaying anything on the screen and you're assuming it's not booting up? 

 

Need lots of pictures to help us understand the issues. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share


×