Gotta quick question.

True1q2w

So i upgraded from a FX - 8320E and a 990fxa MSI MOBO to a Ryzen 7 1700X and a X470 MSI MOBO and also bought a SAMSUNG 860 Evo 250gb SSD. I ran into the problem that I had ddr3 ram sticks and i need ddr4 and so I bought a stick of ddr4 4gb pacific sun ram, and well I think that's my problem. Things are running slow, for example, Rust takes about 15-20 minutes to load up and then it just crashes. With something like CSGO I get 300+ fps with no problems at all. Would you guys recommend me to invest in more and better ram? Or do you think it is a software problem? 

I am also thinking about buying another GTX 960 SSC and just SLI it with my current 960. Would you guys think that would help performance better? 

PC SPECS;

Ryzen 7 1700X 

MSI X470 GAMING MOBO

NVIDIA GTX 960 SSC; EVGA

4GB DDR4 2400mgh

EVGA 800 PSU of some sort

1TB HHD

250GB SAMSUNG 860 SSD

COOLER MASTER 212 EVO - It dosent properly fit on this board but it works and im too tight on money to be able to upgrade something that isn't complete needed to upgrade. 

Let me know if i should upgrade those components or if something software side is messing up my PC.

Also is the SLI idea a good one?

Thanks guys! Have a Great day! 

so i had a similar problem to solve it i went to replace the ram, its all to do with how quick local memory can be accessed and stored 

Just now, True1q2w said:

I am also thinking about buying another GTX 960 SSC and just SLI it with my current 960. Would you guys think that would help performance better? 

Getting another GTX 960 should improve your system's performance, also if you manage to find one at a really good deal in terms of cost then it could present way better option then upgrading to something like the GTX1050Ti at MSRP full cost. Maybe upgrade to 8 GB which should give more buffer for the CPU to perform to the best of its ability in certain applications.

Just now, LukeSavenije said:

I outperform a 980 sli setup (4k 3dmark pc) with my 1070 ti.

Possible, although does the two systems which you are comparing have the same other specifications such as RAM and the processor? The older cards like the 980 and 960 could present better value if found at great prices used or refurbished. Really depends on the deals you can find, take them to a spreadsheet and calculate their cost to performance ratio (lower meaning better) and go with that if you do not already have another card in your system, if you already have this one then compare the SLI score of a 960 to the other single card which you found. If you can, then go with a used or refurbished card which will give you better price to performance.

Hope this information post was helpful  ?,

@Boomwebsearch 

2 minutes ago, Boomwebsearch said:

Possible, although does the two systems which you are comparing have the same other specifications such as RAM and the processor? The older cards like the 980 and 960 could present better value if found at great prices used or refurbished. Really depends on the deals you can find, take them to a spreadsheet and calculate their cost to performance ratio (lower meaning better) and go with that if you do not already have another card in your system, if you already have this one then compare the SLI score of a 960 to the other single card which you found. If you can, then go with a used or refurbished card which will give you better price to performance. 

well, 16 gigs, 4790k vs 8600k and 1070 ti vs 980 sli

if sli would work perfect, true. but that's not always the case..

9 minutes ago, True1q2w said:

4GB DDR4 2400mgh

Ooooooooof

That is brutal, I tell ya. You need some more ram my friend.

If you want more GPU power after you update, you can go with just about anything, so grab maybe an RX 580 off eBay? 

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

According to the MSI website, here is a list of usable ram for that mobo.

1866/ 2133/ 2400/ 2667 Mhz by JEDEC, and 2667/ 2800/ 2933/ 3000/ 3066/ 3200/ 3466 Mhz by A- XMP mode

Unfortunately MSI does NOT test ram against the mobo so there is no Qualified Vendors List.  Just another reason to stick with ASUS.

16 minutes ago, True1q2w said:

4GB DDR4 2400mgh

5 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

Ooooooooof

That is brutal, I tell ya. You need some more ram my friend.

3 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

Yeah your computer is pagefillinv and causing things to lag so hard they crash would be my guess. You need more than 4gb of ram is the bottom line. 

Rust even has 8gb of ram as the system requirements to run the game so it isn't a surprise that it doesn't run well on your pc. 

I agree, that this system would do a lot better having more RAM. Do you currently have the 4GB in a single stick (then you could add more depending on how many RAM slots), or you may have the need to swap all of your RAM out or some of it in the case that you are using up all of the available slots on your motherboard currently?

Edited by Boomwebsearch
Added another quote to support my argument made within this post towards the 4GB of RAM being enough.

@Boomwebsearch 

1 minute ago, kb5zue said:

Unfortunately MSI does NOT test ram against the mobo so there is no Qualified Vendors List.  Just another reason to stick with ASUS.

we'll talk about asus mistakes later...

15 minutes ago, True1q2w said:

4GB DDR4 2400mgh

This in no way is enough RAM to game on Windows with.

8GB is the absolute minimum with 16GB preferred.

And for infinity fabric it is slow.

RAM speed is much more important here than for intel.

CPU-AMD Ryzen 9 5900X / CPU Cooler-Noctua NH-D15S / Motherboard-MSI MPG X570S CARBON MAX WIFI / Memory-G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64 GB (4 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 / Storage-WD WDBSLA0040HNC-NRSN 4TB 3.5" 7200 RPM / Storage-WD Red 6 TB 3.5" 5400 RPM--Crucial P3 4TB 3.0X4 NVME--Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB 4.0X4 NVME--Corsair MP600 CORE 2TB 4.0X4 NVME / Video Card-XFX Radeon RX 6900 XT / Case-Lian Li O11 Air Mini / PSU-SeaSonic PRIME 1000 W 80+ Gold / Sound Card-Creative Labs Sound Blaster Z w/Shield / Monitor-BenQ GW2765HT 27.0" 2560 x 1440 60 Hz / Monitor-Asus ROG Strix XG27AQ 27.0" 2560 x 1440 170 Hz / Keyboard-Logitech G Pro / Mouse-Logitech G502 LIGHTSPEED Wireless / UPS-CyberPower GX1325U / Fan Controller-Corsair Commander Pro

CPU-AMD Ryzen 7 5800X / CPU Cooler-Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX / Motherboard-Asus TUF GAMING X570-PRO (WI-FI) / MemoryG.Skill Trident Z Neo 32 GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 / Storage-Western Digital Black SN750 SE 1TB 4.0X4 NVME--Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB 3.0X4 NVME--Seagate Barracuda Compute 3 TB 3.5" 5400 RPM / Video Card-Asus KO Gaming OC GeForce RTX 3070 / Case-Lian Li O11 Air Mini / Case-LIAN LI PCI-E 16 X 4.0 Black Riser / PSU-EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G+ Gold / Monitor-LG 22BK430H-B 21.5" 1920 x 1080 60 Hz / Monitor-MSI Optix 271CQP 27.0" 2560 x 1440 165 Hz Curved / Keyboard-Logitech G413 TKL SE / Mouse-Logitech G502 HERO Wired / UPS-CyberPower CP1350PFCLCD / Fan Controller-Corsair  Commander Pro / Sony HT-S200F Soundbar

CPU-AMD Ryzen 7 5700X / CPU Cooler-Scythe Mugen 5 Black Edition / Motherboard-MSI MPG B550I GAMING EDGE MAX WIFI / Memory-G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 / Storage-Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB 3.0X4 NVME--PNY CS900 1TB 2.5" SSD--Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB NVME/ Video Card-EVGA XC GAMING GeForce RTX 3060 / Case-Cooler NR200P / PSU-Cooler Master V750 SFX GOLD / Keyboard-HyperX Alloy Origins Core / Mouse-Logitech G502 HERO Wired / UPS-CyberPower LE1000DG-FC / Fan Controller-NZXT RGB & Fan Controller

CPU-AMD Ryzen 7 5700G / CPU Cooler-Scythe Shuriken 2 / Motherboard-Gigabyte X570 I AORUS PRO WIFI / Memory-Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3800 CL18 / Storage-WD Blue 1TB 2.5" SSD--Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB 3.0X4 NVME--Patriot P310 1.92TB 3.0X4 NVME / Case-InWin B1 Mesh / Keyboard-Logitech K380 / Mouse-Logitech G502 LIGHTSPEED Wireless / Monitor-ViewSonic VX1755 17" 1080p Portable IPS Gaming Monitor 144Hz / Speakers-Creative Muvo Go (Black)

3 minutes ago, OnyxArmos said:

Oh god why so little RAM

Honestly, I am not that surprised as most of the low budget laptops are still being sold with only 2GB of RAM. Although, in the world of now with modern computing software more RAM is needed than that depending on what software you want to run on your computer system.

@Boomwebsearch 

Alright, thanks a lot to all the people that replied with reasonable things. I am going to upgrade to 8gb of ram but I am switching to a different brand due to this company having the highest return rate at frys. Anyone have a good brand they would suggest that I can get at a good price? No RGB OF DEATH NEEDED!

4 minutes ago, OnyxArmos said:

Oh god why so little RAM

It was a last minute buy one a budget. I planned to upgrade anyways.

2 minutes ago, True1q2w said:

Alright, thanks a lot to all the people that replied with reasonable things. I am going to upgrade to 8gb of ram but I am switching to a different brand due to this company having the highest return rate at frys. Anyone have a good brand they would suggest that I can get at a good price? No RGB OF DEATH NEEDED!

gskill, corsair, team, kingston, crucial, adata, geil, samsung and sk hynix

for example

Edited by LukeSavenije

3 minutes ago, wONKEyeYEs said:

8GB is the absolute minimum with 16GB preferred.

Depends on what software you are using, although for most users 8GB is more than enough. Sometimes, if you are editing videos or doing advanced model rendering, you may need a lot more ram such as 32GB, 64GB, 128GB, etc. The RAM speed is not the only consideration for multitasking, programs sometimes need actual listed RAM amounts to run, otherwise they sometimes will refuse to open and will immediately crash if you are able to install it somehow.

@Boomwebsearch 

1 minute ago, True1q2w said:

Gskills usually works well with ryzen. I would choose something from either corsair or gskills and preferably ripjaws v, trident z or flare x. Flare x is the best you can get but tends to be expensive. If you can find gskills flare x ram for a reasonable price I would get that.  

14 minutes ago, True1q2w said:

I have linked some good value RAM for you system, what brand are you using currently (failure of RAM is not that usual and there are a lot of people I know that get blue screens and buy RAM just to return the next day after they use it to test their old RAM, therefore they usually go with cheaper alternative models. Look at the RMA rate which should indicate reliability a lot more if that is something you are concerned towards. This one does not have any RGB, although if you want it for aesthetics that it okay although those ones are being sold at a lot higher costs as a general statement. Mixing and matching memory can work although can also not work, how many RAM slots are you using out of the ones available on your motherboard, so that I could recommend maybe one that has more memory per stick and you could mix and match with the RAM you have, although expect higher error chance and its not usually good when trying to optimize reliability?

link to the aforementioned product:      https://www.frys.com/product/9266359?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

@Boomwebsearch 

5 minutes ago, Boomwebsearch said:

I have linked some good value RAM for you system, what brand are you using currently (failure of RAM is not that usual and there are a lot of people I know that get blue screens and buy RAM just to return the next day after they use it to test their old RAM, therefore they usually go with cheaper alternative models. Look at the RMA rate which should indicate reliability a lot more if that is something you are concerned towards. This one does not have any RGB, although if you want it for aesthetics that it okay although those ones are being sold at a lot higher costs as a general statement.

link to the aforementioned product:      https://www.frys.com/product/9266359?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

Yep that is the exact ram and the exact place I got it from. Would you think I could get away with just buying the same ram again and double it up from4 to 8?

Just now, True1q2w said:

Yep that is the exact ram and the exact place I got it from. Would you think I could get away with just buying the same ram again and double it up from4 to 8?

you could get away with it. but I think you shouldn't. get some nice 3000 mhz sticks from a reputable brand and it will give you much more than this...

18 minutes ago, Boomwebsearch said:

Depends on

Yes, but I qualified...

24 minutes ago, wONKEyeYEs said:

to game on Windows

CPU-AMD Ryzen 9 5900X / CPU Cooler-Noctua NH-D15S / Motherboard-MSI MPG X570S CARBON MAX WIFI / Memory-G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64 GB (4 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 / Storage-WD WDBSLA0040HNC-NRSN 4TB 3.5" 7200 RPM / Storage-WD Red 6 TB 3.5" 5400 RPM--Crucial P3 4TB 3.0X4 NVME--Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB 4.0X4 NVME--Corsair MP600 CORE 2TB 4.0X4 NVME / Video Card-XFX Radeon RX 6900 XT / Case-Lian Li O11 Air Mini / PSU-SeaSonic PRIME 1000 W 80+ Gold / Sound Card-Creative Labs Sound Blaster Z w/Shield / Monitor-BenQ GW2765HT 27.0" 2560 x 1440 60 Hz / Monitor-Asus ROG Strix XG27AQ 27.0" 2560 x 1440 170 Hz / Keyboard-Logitech G Pro / Mouse-Logitech G502 LIGHTSPEED Wireless / UPS-CyberPower GX1325U / Fan Controller-Corsair Commander Pro

CPU-AMD Ryzen 7 5800X / CPU Cooler-Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX / Motherboard-Asus TUF GAMING X570-PRO (WI-FI) / MemoryG.Skill Trident Z Neo 32 GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 / Storage-Western Digital Black SN750 SE 1TB 4.0X4 NVME--Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB 3.0X4 NVME--Seagate Barracuda Compute 3 TB 3.5" 5400 RPM / Video Card-Asus KO Gaming OC GeForce RTX 3070 / Case-Lian Li O11 Air Mini / Case-LIAN LI PCI-E 16 X 4.0 Black Riser / PSU-EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G+ Gold / Monitor-LG 22BK430H-B 21.5" 1920 x 1080 60 Hz / Monitor-MSI Optix 271CQP 27.0" 2560 x 1440 165 Hz Curved / Keyboard-Logitech G413 TKL SE / Mouse-Logitech G502 HERO Wired / UPS-CyberPower CP1350PFCLCD / Fan Controller-Corsair  Commander Pro / Sony HT-S200F Soundbar

CPU-AMD Ryzen 7 5700X / CPU Cooler-Scythe Mugen 5 Black Edition / Motherboard-MSI MPG B550I GAMING EDGE MAX WIFI / Memory-G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 / Storage-Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB 3.0X4 NVME--PNY CS900 1TB 2.5" SSD--Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB NVME/ Video Card-EVGA XC GAMING GeForce RTX 3060 / Case-Cooler NR200P / PSU-Cooler Master V750 SFX GOLD / Keyboard-HyperX Alloy Origins Core / Mouse-Logitech G502 HERO Wired / UPS-CyberPower LE1000DG-FC / Fan Controller-NZXT RGB & Fan Controller

CPU-AMD Ryzen 7 5700G / CPU Cooler-Scythe Shuriken 2 / Motherboard-Gigabyte X570 I AORUS PRO WIFI / Memory-Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3800 CL18 / Storage-WD Blue 1TB 2.5" SSD--Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB 3.0X4 NVME--Patriot P310 1.92TB 3.0X4 NVME / Case-InWin B1 Mesh / Keyboard-Logitech K380 / Mouse-Logitech G502 LIGHTSPEED Wireless / Monitor-ViewSonic VX1755 17" 1080p Portable IPS Gaming Monitor 144Hz / Speakers-Creative Muvo Go (Black)

1 minute ago, True1q2w said:

7 minutes ago, Boomwebsearch said:

although expect higher error chance and its not usually good when trying to optimize reliability?

Okay that answers my initial previous question. You could get away with doing another stick of RAM, and since you already have this same one that is even better for reliability and not using mixed up ram from different models and brands! You could go up-to I think 16GB with 4GB per RAM module as a side note if you decide on more than 8GB.

2 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

you could get away with it. but I think you shouldn't. get some nice 3000 mhz sticks from a reputable brand and it will give you much more than this...

That's not going to get you better value for the money, if you have the budget then why not upgrade to like 4200 mhz models with RGB? But in all seriousness, I would suggest going the way of doubling this stick to get 8GB if that is how much you want to upgrade to. Higher speeds, could show better results in certain applications although not that much from 2400 to 3000 considering in the lot of extra cost from my research, and that the original poster has this same one which would improve this system's reliability and lower incompatibility problems which are potential.

@Boomwebsearch 

1 minute ago, Boomwebsearch said:

That's not going to get you better value for the money, if you have the budget then why not upgrade to like 4200 mhz models with RGB? But in all seriousness, I would suggest going the way of doubling this stick to get 8GB if that is how much you want to upgrade to. Higher speeds, could show better results in certain applications although not that much from 2400 to 3000 considering in the lot of extra cost from my research, and that the original poster has this same one which would improve this system's reliability and lower incompatibility problems which are potential.

on ryzen too? I see kits for not that much more from much more reliable brands. I can get a 2x8 3000 mhz cas15 kit for around 105 dollars, I don't see why not?