780 OVERCLOCKING Cards

So I just thought of getting the 780 and I was looking at a few and I thought the HOF was a good deal since it's the same price as other 780s but then I saw the 780 Classified. I was thinking to get the Define R4 with the Classified then get a water block and backplate later IF I water cool.

Do you think the classified is worth it ($560) over the HOF ($520)

KEEP IN NOTE: The Classified has Samsung/Hynix (They are both good) and the HOF has Elpida (Horrid overclocker)

Andres "Bluejay" Alejandro Montefusco - The Forums Favorite Bird!!!

Top Clock: 7.889 Ghz Cooled by: Liquid Helium   

#ChocolateRAM #OatmealFans #ScratchItHarder #WorstcardBestoverclocker #CrazySexStories #SchnitzelQuest TS3 SERVER

Well, 40 bucks isnt that much. Id go for the Classy. It looks way better too imo.

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

EVGA would win for me even for the warranty only, surely go for that one.

My rig: CPU: Intel core i5 4670K MoBo: MSI Z87-G45 Gaming RAM: Kingston HyperX Beast 2x4GB 1600mhz CL9 GPU: EVGA GTX780 SC ACX SSD: ADATA Premier Pro SP900 256GBHDD: Western Digital RED 2TB PSU: FSP Aurum CM 750W Case: Cooler Master HAF XM OS: Windows 8 Pro

My Build log, the Snowbird (heavy WIP): http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/188011-snowbird-by-lachy/?hl=snowbird

So what you basically want is the best overclocking card? In that case the classy will be considerably better and truly worth the extra money :)

Are you though willing to get something from other vendors then EVGA?

Tor
Corsair Obsidian 650D - Intel 4770K CPU - Gigabyte G1 Sniper 5 - ASUS GTX 780 Direct CU 2 - Kingston Beast Hyperx Beast 16 GB RAM -  Corsair AX 1200i PSU - Samsung EVO drive 750 GB - Corsair AF series 120mm fans - Corsair H100i - Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 edition - Razer Ouroboros - Razer Manticor - Windows 7 - Beyerdynamic MMX 300

Stay Classy my friend. I would say that it is worth the extra money.

My rigs

Spoiler

Desktop CPU: Intel Xeon E5-1680 v2 @ 4.4GHz cooled by a Corsair H105 | Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth X79 | RAM: 32GB G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1600 | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 SC3 Ultra Gaming | SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 1TB + Crutial M500 240GB + Samsung 840 120GB | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM + WB Black 4TB 7200RPM | Case: Fractal Design Meshify C | Mouse: Logitech G402 & MX Master | Keyboard: Poker II  MX Blue & Leopold 10-key pad Box Royals | Monitor: LG 34UB88-P | Audio: Audio-Technica ATH-M50 + FiiO E5 DAC + Rode NT-USB Mini

Laptop Lenovo Yoga 720 4k Touch

It depends on your color scheme. Mind you that you can use other compainies' overclocking software on the cards rather than the one that come with it(MSI's for example can be used on the cards.).

Current System: CPU - I5-6500 | Motherboard - ASRock H170M-ITX/ac | RAM - Mushkin Blackline 16GB DDR4 @ 2400mHz | GPU - EVGA 1060 3GB | Case - Fractal Design Nano S | Storage - 250GB 850 EVO, 3TB Barracuda | PSU - EVGA 450W 80+ Bronze | Display - AOC 22" 1080p IPS | Cooling - Phanteks PH-TC12DX_BK | Keyboard - Cooler Master QuickFire Rapid(MX Blues) | Mouse - Logitech G602 | Sound - Schiit Stack | Operating System - Windows 10

The OG System: I3-2370M @ 2.4 GHz, 750GB 5400 RPM HDD, 8GB RAM @1333Mhz, Lenovo Z580 Laptop (Ubuntu 16.04 LTS).

Peripherals: G602, AKG 240, Sennheiser HD 6XX, Audio-Technica 2500, Oneplus 5T, Odroid C2(NAS).

So what you basically want is the best overclocking card? In that case the classy will be considerably better and truly worth the extra money :)

Are you though willing to get something from other vendors then EVGA?

Well since the 280X is now a STUPID price of 400$, I might as well get the 780. It's stretching the budget but hey, WHY THE FUCK NOT?!

#ChocolateRAM #OatmealFans #ScratchItHarder #WorstcardBestoverclocker #CrazySexStories #SchnitzelQuest TS3 SERVER

It depends on your color scheme. Mind you that you can use other compainies' overclocking software on the cards rather than the one that come with it(MSI's for example can be used on the cards.).

Well Mines will be Blue, black, grey, and maybe white. I know the gigabyte it while but the EVGA is only Black with like one part red?

The HOF, Classified, Windforce GHz or DCUii. Whichever wins you over. 

My Build Log on PCPartPicker FX-6300, ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3, MSI 7870 GHz Edition, Corsair Vengeance LP 1x8GB, 1TB WD Blue, Fractal Core 1000 USB 3.0, Corsair CX600, and my most recent addition that I've had forever and isnt new is a 80GB WD800 for Linux, Lenovo ThinkPad X131e, ASUS Transformer TF300T, Galaxy Note 3 Sister dropped it in a puddle I now have to use a Samsung Brightside, Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250ohm version, Blue Yeti  #TheRealKEH-JEFF | "Sometimes, if were lucky, in Australia, a family has 2 kangaroos to pick up the kids with" - marto | Your entry here | Remember kids; just because Linus has a video on it, doesn't mean that its the best choice | ts3.wferr.com the best TeamSpeak Abide by the CoC | Looking for build help? Read this before posting |

Well Mines will be Blue, black, grey, and maybe white. I know the gigabyte it while but the EVGA is only Black with like one part red?

Ah… Well in that case you probably chose the right cards ;) I was going to recommend the MSI Lightning and ASUS DCU2 now, but they would look kind of ugly with that color scheme ;)

Tor
Corsair Obsidian 650D - Intel 4770K CPU - Gigabyte G1 Sniper 5 - ASUS GTX 780 Direct CU 2 - Kingston Beast Hyperx Beast 16 GB RAM -  Corsair AX 1200i PSU - Samsung EVO drive 750 GB - Corsair AF series 120mm fans - Corsair H100i - Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 edition - Razer Ouroboros - Razer Manticor - Windows 7 - Beyerdynamic MMX 300

Ah… Well in that case you probably chose the right cards ;) I was going to recommend the MSI Lightning and ASUS DCU2 now, but they would look kind of ugly with that color scheme ;)

The DCUII isn't a bad card, so I'm not surprised you were smart enough to recommend it. However, the only visible part is black :P

The Lightning is OK but the memory OC and the colors are not worth it.

The DCUII isn't a bad card, so I'm not surprised you were smart enough to recommend it. However, the only visible part is black :P

The Lightning is OK but the memory OC and the colors are not worth it.

Yeah you can really only see the backplate (got it myself), but the colors are still there so at least for me it would ruin it… Just look at my mobo and you will understand that I kind of ruined it for myself as well ;)

Well choose whatever floats your boat :)

Tor

To be honest I don't see overclocking cards as that much of a great investment over reference PCB's, if you put a waterblock on it they will both run OC like all hell provided you have a good chip. If your running air cooling then noise and temp improvements are worth it, even then I'ld only grab something along the lines of a DCU2 or Windforce unless I wanted to go hella overboard and have the top notch hardware for bling factor.

provided you have a good chip.

Thats basically what the Classy offers. The Chips are handpicked so you get a better oc right out of the box.

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 

Synology-NAS:
DS920+

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 

Reviews and Stuff:

Useful Links:

Thats basically what the Classy offers. The Chips are handpicked so you get a better oc right out of the box.

I know, but they still don't OC massive amounts more than any other chip, at least not enough to warrant the extra investment imo.

Could just be aussie prices being out of whack to the point where you can get 780's can cost as much as 780ti reference cards sometimes. But I couldn't justify spending $799 on a 780 lightning when I could get a 780ti for the same price.

I know, but they still don't OC massive amounts more than any other chip, at least not enough to warrant the extra investment imo.

Could just be aussie prices being out of whack to the point where you can get 780's can cost as much as 780ti reference cards sometimes. But I couldn't justify spending $799 on a 780 lightning when I could get a 780ti for the same price.

Well, i havent heard of Classys under 1300 yet and my DCu2 cant get over 1150 so...

Yeah, if a classy costs as much as a higher card then its BS.

Gaming HTPC:

Desktop PC:

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:

Synology-NAS:
DS920+

Audio Gear:

Reviews and Stuff:

Useful Links:

Well, i havent heard of Classys under 1300 yet and my DCu2 cant get over 1150 so...

Yeah, if a classy costs as much as a higher card then its BS.

I've been looking into the OC preformance. The core.clocks are near crazy. Some of these clocks are amazing on air. I would get a wb later on IF I wc my system and maybe get it to 1.4 if easy

I emailed EVGA about painting the EVGA cooler. Since I saw the video of Logan where Wendel painted an EVGA ACX 770. I was like, yep I have to do this for my build. 

The reply I got was not in the best English, but it was clear. Here is a simplefied version of what I got as reply. 

"It won't void the warrenty to do this, at worst you have to pay a fee to replace the cooler if that is broken. But if there is something wrong with the pcb of the card it self, then we will even mount the painted cooler on your new GPU block." I do suggest to email EVGA on your side(NA), but I think they will do this as well over there. 

I've been looking into the OC preformance. The core.clocks are near crazy. Some of these clocks are amazing on air. I would get a wb later on IF I wc my system and maybe get it to 1.4 if easy

Recently @Snef got one of his Galaxy 780 HoF cards in his build. Galaxy apparently cherry picked the chips to get these high numbers out of them. And Snef overclocked that one very high. Here is the link to his build log where he did the overclock ON AIR! He got over 1300mhz and that was done in 5mins time. Then he later tested at 1375 where he hit 75C on air. Then he did a 24h test with 1345mhz with temps not going over 52C on water. Ofcourse all cards are different, so don't blame me if you get one and it's not stable at these settings! As well, keep in mind that the PCB is white of this 780.

I personally am getting an EVGA classified just plain simple because of the paint job I can do with it. Not because of the OC'ing ability. 

NZXT Phantom windowed, Asus Z77 Sabertooth, Intel 2600K, Noctua NH-D14, EVGA 780 Classified, Crucial Ballistic Tactical, Crucial M4 128GB + Samsung 850 EVO, Corsair RM850, Creative X-Fi Fatal1ty Peripherals: Sennheiser HD598, FinalMouse Classic, SteelSeries Qck Heavy, Ducky Shine Zero (MX Brown), AOC G2460PF & Qnix QX2710

Build Log: Phantom - Antique Noctua

I'd consider getting the lightning and then the LN2 bios. Then the thing becomes a beast, things like its "GPU Reactor" stop being a gimmick.

I'd consider getting the lightning and then the LN2 bios. Then the thing becomes a beast, things like its "GPU Reactor" stop being a gimmick

The one thing I hate about the lightnings is that color and the reactor. No one has been able to a four way SLI because of the damn reactor

The one thing I hate about the lightnings is that color and the reactor. No one has been able to a four way SLI because of the damn reactor

I understand the looks, if its not the right one for your build (which it often isnt these days). I guess I've never really considered the whole 4-way thing a drawback because of the losses in scaling, the whole pricetag issue and the fact that its mostly unsupported by just about everything, but if its a major factor then yes they arent as good as other things in that regard.

I understand the looks, if its not the right one for your build (which it often isnt these days). I guess I've never really considered the whole 4-way thing a drawback because of the losses in scaling, the whole pricetag issue and the fact that its mostly unsupported by just about everything, but if its a major factor then yes they arent as good as other things in that regard.

Not for gaming but for benchmarks

I emailed EVGA about painting the EVGA cooler. Since I saw the video of Logan where Wendel painted an EVGA ACX 770. I was like, yep I have to do this for my build. 

The reply I got was not in the best English, but it was clear. Here is a simplefied version of what I got as reply. 

"It won't void the warrenty to do this, at worst you have to pay a fee to replace the cooler if that is broken. But if there is something wrong with the pcb of the card it self, then we will even mount the painted cooler on your new GPU block." I do suggest to email EVGA on your side(NA), but I think they will do this as well over there. 

Recently @Snef got one of his Galaxy 780 HoF cards in his build. Galaxy apparently cherry picked the chips to get these high numbers out of them. And Snef overclocked that one very high. Here is the link to his build log where he did the overclock ON AIR! He got over 1300mhz and that was done in 5mins time. Then he later tested at 1375 where he hit 75C on air. Then he did a 24h test with 1345mhz with temps not going over 52C on water. Ofcourse all cards are different, so don't blame me if you get one and it's not stable at these settings! As well, keep in mind that the PCB is white of this 780.

I personally am getting an EVGA classified just plain simple because of the paint job I can do with it. Not because of the OC'ing ability. 

i might get to mod the Hydro Copper block IF i can switch the acryllic or LED to go for a blue scheme. That would be a nice mod for me or switch fittings.

i might get to mod the Hydro Copper block IF i can switch the acryllic or LED to go for a blue scheme. That would be a nice mod for me or switch fittings.

If you want pure performances, I would consider to get the HoF. If you trow a waterblock on it... But you can go crafty with any GPU/block & backplate. 

NZXT Phantom windowed, Asus Z77 Sabertooth, Intel 2600K, Noctua NH-D14, EVGA 780 Classified, Crucial Ballistic Tactical, Crucial M4 128GB + Samsung 850 EVO, Corsair RM850, Creative X-Fi Fatal1ty Peripherals: Sennheiser HD598, FinalMouse Classic, SteelSeries Qck Heavy, Ducky Shine Zero (MX Brown), AOC G2460PF & Qnix QX2710

Build Log: Phantom - Antique Noctua

Hi

if you want to do benchmarking, buy card with samsung or hynix memory, bench software really love OC ram

but for gaming, HOF are a beast

mine run at 1375mhz 1.2v on air at 65c whitout any mod or custom bios

my day to day OC is 1345mhz around 52c on air and 45 on water

look this video, you will see my OC

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKY5vOiPmuU[/video]

My Build Logs

Snef Bloody Angel --- Sand of God --- Red Poseidon --- Purple Chimera BOTM July 26 2013 --- Icy Blue Angel BOTM May 10 2013 --- Extremmme Red DemonBOTM March 29 2013