Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Whats the bottle neck? fx 6300 or rx 560?

Go to solution Solved by _StrikE_,
26 minutes ago, Playfulmean said:

m5a78l-m plus/usb3

Then its a no go, do not go for an FX83XX cpu. To better explain, if it had been a decent mobo my advice would have been in the lines of getting first and foremost a RX580 or 1060  6Gb gpu, whichever was cheaper, and if you would have found a dirt cheap FX83XX cpu on the used market it would have been worth it in the way that after you could also sell the FX6300 to make most of the money back, while raising money for a new build (ryzen for instance). This would have given you better performance in games like FH4 or battlefield which use nicely all cores and not bottleneck the gpu as severely as with the FX6300 (a decent mobo would have allowed a bit of overclock). The main issue with the motherboard is its power phase design (aka VRM) its to low for a FX8300, and investing in a mobo and cpu is just throwing money away at this now dead platform.

So we move on to the second advice, get the GPU (after all this is the only component that you can get now benefit from it and also be helpful for the future build), again either a 1060 or 580 whichever is cheaper, and overclock the cpu without straining the motherboard to reduce as much as possible the bottleneck. You can do this by setting manual voltages for CPU, set voltage to 1.28v for vcore and see how far it can get you (estimate should be from around 3.8 to 4.2 Ghz), while of course monitoring temps under load. Its pretty much about increasing the multiplier by 1 after setting the voltage to manual and the value at 1.28v, saving exiting out of bios, booting into windows, and repeating the process till it crashes when entering windows, then you drop by x1 the multiplier and test for stability, while monitoring temps with HW monitor (don't let temps for socket go over 70c and core 62c, even if it looks stable),  initially test do it with cinebench, if it doesn't crash move to prime95, if it passes for 6-8 hours you should be good to go. This should improve the CPU bottleneck at least a bit, but i do advice if you don't have the stock AMD fan then to put a cooler over the VRM area.

And of course if overclocking feels to risky then just go for the cheaper GPU while raising money to buy the rest :p.

I'm trying to rum FH4 and with very low im getting below 60 and at the lowest mid 30s. It looks bad and stutters an awful lot. 720p too. I was thinking on upgrading to an rx 570 8gb or 4gb. I was thinking on fx 8350 but the improvements are little. 

2 minutes ago, Playfulmean said:

I was thinking on upgrading to an rx 570 8gb or 4gb. I was thinking on fx 8350 but the improvements are little

Don't "upgrade" to another FX chip, its a waste of money. Go for AM4, the 2600 is much stronger than any of the FX chips.

Same with going from a 560 to a 570, improvement would be a small increment- and since RX 580 prices are hitting new lows, close to to what the 570 costs, I would only really keep an eye out for sales on that.

Both your processor and gpu are on a weaker side, so that performance isnt surprising

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

i figured the cpu wasn't worth it. I was also thinking on gtx 1060 6 gb. But i dont know if it would be a bottleneck

27 minutes ago, Playfulmean said:

I'm trying to rum FH4 and with very low im getting below 60 and at the lowest mid 30s. It looks bad and stutters an awful lot. 720p too. I was thinking on upgrading to an rx 570 8gb or 4gb. I was thinking on fx 8350 but the improvements are little. 

What's your current motherboard ?

1 hour ago, Strike105X said:

What's your current motherboard ?

m5a78l-m plus/usb3

14 minutes ago, Playfulmean said:

i figured the cpu wasn't worth it. I was also thinking on gtx 1060 6 gb. But i dont know if it would be a bottleneck

1060 6gb and rx 580 are on par, so whichever of the two you find for cheap

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

i might see on the 1060 only because my psu is only 450 and is bronze certified. The 580 requires at least a 500

26 minutes ago, Playfulmean said:

m5a78l-m plus/usb3

Then its a no go, do not go for an FX83XX cpu. To better explain, if it had been a decent mobo my advice would have been in the lines of getting first and foremost a RX580 or 1060  6Gb gpu, whichever was cheaper, and if you would have found a dirt cheap FX83XX cpu on the used market it would have been worth it in the way that after you could also sell the FX6300 to make most of the money back, while raising money for a new build (ryzen for instance). This would have given you better performance in games like FH4 or battlefield which use nicely all cores and not bottleneck the gpu as severely as with the FX6300 (a decent mobo would have allowed a bit of overclock). The main issue with the motherboard is its power phase design (aka VRM) its to low for a FX8300, and investing in a mobo and cpu is just throwing money away at this now dead platform.

So we move on to the second advice, get the GPU (after all this is the only component that you can get now benefit from it and also be helpful for the future build), again either a 1060 or 580 whichever is cheaper, and overclock the cpu without straining the motherboard to reduce as much as possible the bottleneck. You can do this by setting manual voltages for CPU, set voltage to 1.28v for vcore and see how far it can get you (estimate should be from around 3.8 to 4.2 Ghz), while of course monitoring temps under load. Its pretty much about increasing the multiplier by 1 after setting the voltage to manual and the value at 1.28v, saving exiting out of bios, booting into windows, and repeating the process till it crashes when entering windows, then you drop by x1 the multiplier and test for stability, while monitoring temps with HW monitor (don't let temps for socket go over 70c and core 62c, even if it looks stable),  initially test do it with cinebench, if it doesn't crash move to prime95, if it passes for 6-8 hours you should be good to go. This should improve the CPU bottleneck at least a bit, but i do advice if you don't have the stock AMD fan then to put a cooler over the VRM area.

And of course if overclocking feels to risky then just go for the cheaper GPU while raising money to buy the rest :p.