use sfp+ as LAN output pfSense and run pfSense in VM

Go to solution Solved by Falconevo,
23 minutes ago, VictorN2990WX said:

Hello

I am building a pfSense based router (parts have not arrived yet) andi wonder two things:

A) is it possible to run pfSense in a VM and pass the necessary NICs through?

B) Can i use a Mellanox sfp+ NIC as my LAN output (i got an sfp+ switch whit 4 sfp+ ports) (i still want to use standard Gigabit in as my WAN connection)

A) Yes, you can either attach the VM to a vSwitch with that interface assigned or perform PCI-Express device passthrough depending on what HyperVisor you are planning on using.  Hyper-V, ESXi, KVM, Xen etc etc.

B) Yes, assign the device inside the VM it will likely be easier as a vSwitch if you want to keep that config

Hello

I am building a pfSense based router (parts have not arrived yet) andi wonder two things:

B) Can i use a Mellanox sfp+ NIC as my LAN output (i got an sfp+ switch whit 4 sfp+ ports) (i still want to use standard Gigabit in as my WAN connection)

6 minutes ago, VictorN2990WX said:

Hello

Most people run pfsense in a VM and just point to a specific NIC. 

23 minutes ago, VictorN2990WX said:

Hello

A) Yes, you can either attach the VM to a vSwitch with that interface assigned or perform PCI-Express device passthrough depending on what HyperVisor you are planning on using.  Hyper-V, ESXi, KVM, Xen etc etc.

B) Yes, assign the device inside the VM it will likely be easier as a vSwitch if you want to keep that config

Please quote or tag me if you need a reply